Old 14-08-2004, 03:35 PM
J Fortuna

Default question on Phaph staking

My first Paph is in bud, and I am wondering when to stake it. With a Phal I
would start staking fairly early on, but I don't know anything about staking
Paphs. This one's spike is already about 6 inches long, and the spike is
curled up for the last inch or so before the bud -- is this curling normal,
will it straighten out on its own? Other than the last inch or so, the rest
of the spike is already very straight, and does not appear to need staking.
When I got this Paph in January in bloom, it's spike was perfectly
straightly staked, and about twice as tall as it currently is. It's bloom
was placed in a loop support in the wire stake. I still have the stake,
although I wonder how useful it will be unless the height of this spike is
very close to the height of the previous spike, might need to acquire
another metal stake otherwise, since the bamboo ones that I usually use for
my Phals would be way too thick for this thin Paph spike.

Any ideas on proper Paph staking would be welcome. Thanks.

Joanna

question on Phaph staking J Fortuna Orchids 7 16-08-2004 04:13 PM
Staking Orchids Shell Orchids 13 01-12-2003 09:42 PM
staking leaning tree question Mary Jo Lettieri Gardening 1 30-06-2003 02:20 PM
What's the opposite of staking? Adam Schwartz Gardening 10 14-05-2003 03:20 AM
What's the opposite of staking? = Espalier Cereoid-UR12 Gardening 1 12-05-2003 07:56 PM