Old 03-09-2004, 07:42 PM
GrlIntrpted

Default Phal javanica

I recently added a Phal javanica into my Phalaenopsis species collection.
The article at this link:
http://www.bogor.indo.net.id/kri/phalaen.htm suggests that seed germination
has not been succesful, and attempts to propagate the species by both seeds
and vegetative parts are still being undertaken. I got curious and contacted
the seller of my new orchid in order to find out some back ground
information on this orchid. But have not heard back from the vendor.

Now, I've seen javanica's sold by orchid vendors (CNC and a few others).
Not a lot, but they are out there. So my question is, if the orchids have
not been germinated from seed, and that vegetative divisions are still being
explored... is it possible that I purchased an orchid that was actually
collected in Indonesia?

Mariana

Old 03-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Aaron Hicks

I suspect that web page refers to the attempts by one botanic
garden with regards to their seed propagation plan.

As a result of a trade with a very good customer of mine in the
past year, I received several seedlings from an outcross (I think) of
Phal. javanica that he had been produced in sterile culture. It was
propagated with some difficulty, but many F1 phal species don't do well in
flask from seed.

Most of the seedlings are still alive. They do quite well, plaqued
on bark with a bit of sphagnum 'round the roots.

This is very unusual for me, since I tend to kill orchids that
aren't in flask.

The e-mail address in the header isn't valid. Send no mail there.

Cheers,

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Old 04-09-2004, 08:07 AM
Aaron Hicks

By F1, I mean that it is the first filial generation produced in
cultivation. By this standard, mom and dad would be F0 wild types. Progeny
from these two would be F1, first filial. Subsequent progeny with similar
ancestry would be F2, and so on.

This is the terminology I use, and understand to be correct. I use
it with reference to transgenic plants, and perhaps other fields use it in
a different context.

In any event, if the question is have Phal. javanica seedlings
been produced in cultivation- the answer is certainly yes. Without seeing
the plants in flask, it's impossible to tell. While the plants I received
weren't in flask, they were all the same tiny size, with perfect leaves
and intact roots. To have them come from the wild would be most unlikely-
not to mention the proud stork that brought them is a fine propagator.

I cannot speak specifically to the origins of any plant you may
have bought; far as I know, all phal species have been grown from seed in
the lab. The cost of these plants relative to wild-collected may be
higher, of course, but plants are generally much more likely to survive,
depending upon how well-established each would be. I prefer lab-grown over
wild any day of the week, as establishing wild-collected can be iffy at
best.

Along the same lines, phals in cultivation today are far divested
from parent species. With generation times of 5-7 years (and less, with
unproven, first-flower parents), some could be well over 10 generations in
cultivation. Anyone care to wildcatt a popular, recent hybrid for me as a
demo? Anyway- it would be interesting to compare the ease with which F1
phals germinate and grow, versus their great-great-great...grandchildren.

What do you think, Mick? You do a lot of fine phal species. Any of
them cantankerous from seed- particularly with regards to how many
generations away from wild-type they are?

No e-mail to the address in the header. It doesn't work.

Cheers,

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Old 05-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Aaron Hicks

In fairness to the dealer, they may simply be too busy to respond.
Time is money and all that, and goodness knows there's plenty of
competition in the orchid biz.

Anyway- it's a fun little species. Hopefully we'll be seeing more
of it in the not-too-distant future.