Old 12-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Kenni Judd

Diana: Glad to hear you are safe and mostly sound G. We, too, had both
eyewalls; we were in the eye for about 4 hours, from a little after midnight
till about 4:30 am. Clearly, Frances was a huge storm! [For those of you
less familiar with Florida geography, we are about 50-60 miles south of
Diana.] Most of our damage looks to have come from the eastern eyewall.

Juno Beach Orchids is up and running, and we are very busy thanking our
lucky stars. Our two small open-air shadehouses were badly damaged, but our
big shadehouses held up extremely well, so our crop is fine. We will have
to replace the roof on at least one bay, where one corner ripped out. Most
of the other stuff that came down was slated for removal anyway -- the
bougainvillea arbor, the frame of the old pumphouse, a big pine tree that
was in the way. Another tree that came down missed our show trailer by
about 6" ... Our power came back on Monday morning. Phones and cable/ISP
were just restored late yesterday. So all we need is for a whole bunch of
you to buy some orchids, so we can pay for repairs G.

Bill Hill at Orchid Island Orchids has much more extensive damage, still has
no power, and can call out but not receive on his phone. He wouldn't ask
even if he could, but he could use some help, if there's a strong back in
his neighborhood willing to give him a hand. His address is 4745 61st.
Court; Vero Beach, fl 32967 -- you'll have to just show up, since you can't
reach him by phone or email.

I've spoken to Faith and she says they are OK. I don't know about Odom's or
Palm Bay.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Dear RGO Friends -

There is so much more to write, and I have no time! Damage locally is
nasty, but I think most everyone here is whole, but I don't yet know about
the local growers. Odom's and Kenni Judd are two that I am thinking

about,
but have not been able to reach either just yet. Also Bill Hill at Orchid
Island, and Faith's, and Palm Bay. Many others. Promise to write more.

Dumb broken finger has been low on the local medical toem pole. Have an
appt. on Tues. with an orthopaedist. If he wants to rebreak it we're

going
to fight.......

Frank says "Hi, Orchid Fiends!"

Diana

Old 12-09-2004, 05:20 PM
wendy7

Thanks for keeping us informed Kenni, even though being in Calif.,
still worry about you guys & your plants of course.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 12-09-2004, 05:30 PM
David Fouchey

Kenni and all glad to hear the East Coast Florida Contingent is alive
and well. This has been an uncommon year to say the least. With Luck
Ivan will move west even more...

Good luck lad

Dave

Old 12-09-2004, 09:24 PM
David Fouchey

Oops! Mea Culpe! G Names Names they get one in so much trouble...;-)

Old 12-09-2004, 09:42 PM
tbell

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:58:30 -0700, Diana Kulaga wrote
(in article k.net):

Dumb broken finger has been low on the local medical toem pole. Have an
appt. on Tues. with an orthopaedist. If he wants to rebreak it we're going
to fight

Fight with your doctor? Gasp!
Hope Ivan veers away from you.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon CP 5700

Old 12-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks to all for the good thoughts! Kenni, can I assume that you got my
note about the meeting cancellation for next week? Glad Faith is okay, but
very sorry about Bill. I'm going to try to raise Odom's again tomorrow.
BTW, we're only about 35 minutes from you from where we live in PSL.

Here are a few little vignettes from the storm. One of our members, a very
self-reliant and feisty 84 year old gal, lives in a mobile home (well, she
did, anyway). She evacuated, thank heaven, as warned. After it was over,
she returned to find a shambles; her home will be condemned, along with
most others in that park. Another member went over there and found her
sitting in the mess, refusing to leave until FEMA showed up! Needless to
say, members have been looking after her, and I think she has now been
removed, kicking and screaming, to her daughter's house. As a society, we
will do whatever we can to help her, of course.

And people are helping each other, and reconnecting, and in at least one
case healing wounds that have festered for too long. There are bright
spots.

As far as the city of Port St. Lucie is concerned, just let me at the ballot
box. I don't care about party affiliation or anything else these lunk heads
have to say. Off with their heads, with the exception of the police and
sherriff's departments, which did great jobs. We had radio throughout the
storm and afterward. We tuned to two stations, one AM and local, the other
FM from the local community college. Every community from Palm Beach to
Sebastian was reporting in, all except Port St. Lucie. It turns out that
their much vaunted multi-million $ communications system failed immediately
when the wind blew. Okay, they can be excused for not reporting in during
the storm. But nary a word was heard from them or about the city for days
afterward. Other mayors and spokespeople from the surrounding cities, and
from St. Lucie County, had regular briefings, every day, multiple times
daily. Our elected officials were MIA; couldn't be bothered to travel to
the stations in person. Even now, we get the occasional unscheduled pep
talk with no substance at all from them. The residents of this city got all
services after everyone else; even tiny burgs were represented.

Just wait until one of them calls looking for votes!

Diana

Diana

Old 12-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Diana Kulaga

Fight with your doctor? Gasp!
Hope Ivan veers away from you.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon CP 5700

LOL! I do believe that Ivan will miss us!

Diana

Old 13-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Kenni Judd

Hi, Diana: I was going by the show location. BTW, if you're that close,
you need to come see me more often G. Kenni

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Thanks to all for the good thoughts! Kenni, can I assume that you got my
note about the meeting cancellation for next week? Glad Faith is okay, but
very sorry about Bill. I'm going to try to raise Odom's again tomorrow.
BTW, we're only about 35 minutes from you from where we live in PSL.

Is now okay to divide red hot pokers? Rosie United Kingdom 6 09-06-2004 05:25 PM
RichToyBox okay? FBCS Ponds 0 21-09-2003 01:03 AM
Lead weights okay? Doug David Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:21 AM
okay to buy plants at Red Barn after the freeze? sort Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
okay to buy plants at Red Barn after the freeze? sort Texas 2 05-03-2003 01:27 AM