Old 10-09-2004, 11:57 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default We're Okay

Hi, All,

Just got power back last night; the phones, both land and cell, were out
from Saturday until Tuesday. And we are lucky; 70% of our city is still
without electricity and I have no idea how many are without phones.

Frances made landfall about 20 miles from here. We got both eye walls.
This was a huge, slow storm that began in earnest on Saturday and did not
complete its journey until Sunday afternoon. Damage to the area is much
worse than would be expected from a cat 2 storm, mainly because it simply
stayed and stayed and stayed. We originally thought that it would hit
during the day, but it came in the wee hours. We thought a bit of sleep
would be good, but that was impossible of course. I put a pillow and
blanket on the family room sofa, and Casper the Wonder Cat was the only one
to use them, LOL. The cat decided to chill......

We had only minor damage. We lost some roof shingles and the screening out
back is ripped up, but remains in place. The orchids are unhappy (still
under cover due to the possibility of Ivan), but all have so far survived.
They need air and light, which we will provide tomorrow. A fellow grower
whose plants are largely in his trees lost an estimated 500 plants.

Much more to tell, many anecdotes, but my son and Beverly just arrived from
Palm Beach, where they have no power still. Gonna go cook steaks and relax.
More tomorrow!

Diana

Old 11-09-2004, 12:57 AM
wendy7

It's great to hear from you Diana, glad all is well. Hope your
hand is on the mend to.

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 11-09-2004, 01:29 AM
David Fouchey

Diana I am so glad to hear you guys made it through in relatively good
shape. Been worried about you lass. With Luck Ivan will head into the
Gulf, I hope.

All we got were the leftovers, rain, rain and uh rain along with
dozens of tornados. Minor Damage here in SC to the Pecan Trees.
Orchids are doing well. Did have a Tornado cross the road in front of
me as I was driving at work, scary sight. Glad you have power back.
Daughter in St. Augustine just got their back this afternoon as well.

Peace

Dave Fouchey

Old 11-09-2004, 01:36 AM
dd

I'm glad to hear that you and yours are okay. I don't know how kitties
know what they do, but they always seem to be good predictors.

Old 11-09-2004, 07:56 AM
Reka

Good deal, Diana, you'll beat Ivan too! Glad you and Frank are okay.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"Diana Kulaga" schrieb im Newsbeitrag k.net...
Hi, All,

Just got power back last night; the phones, both land and cell, were out
from Saturday until Tuesday. And we are lucky; 70% of our city is still
without electricity and I have no idea how many are without phones.

---

Old 11-09-2004, 11:28 AM
Dave Gillingham

Welcome back! Glad you suffered so little damage. And, most
importantly, Casper came through OK!
Sorry to hear of so much damage to your comunity. Did any who are
near & dear to you suffer much damage?
What is the current prognosis on Ivan for Florida?
All the best.

Old 11-09-2004, 06:50 PM
GrlIntrpted

Diana, I'm seeing your message later then most folks here but please don't
think that I forgot about you.
I was thinking about you and Frank and asking the storm gods to leave you
alone!
Delighted that you are okay and that you guys did not sustain any heavy
damage!

Mariana

Old 11-09-2004, 08:39 PM
tbell

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:57:59 -0700, Diana Kulaga wrote
(in article t):

Hi, All,

Just got power back last night;

Glad to hear you and your plants survived.
We've been thinking about you.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon CP 5700

Old 11-09-2004, 10:58 PM
Diana Kulaga

Dear RGO Friends -

There is so much more to write, and I have no time! Damage locally is
nasty, but I think most everyone here is whole, but I don't yet know about
the local growers. Odom's and Kenni Judd are two that I am thinking about,
but have not been able to reach either just yet. Also Bill Hill at Orchid
Island, and Faith's, and Palm Bay. Many others. Promise to write more.

Dumb broken finger has been low on the local medical toem pole. Have an
appt. on Tues. with an orthopaedist. If he wants to rebreak it we're going
to fight.......

Frank says "Hi, Orchid Fiends!"

Diana

Old 12-09-2004, 05:15 AM
wendy7

Diana, we heard from Kenni in a post & they had a g/h roof blow off
with no damage to the plants! Incredible! She mentioned some others.
Wondering about Tropiflora in Kissimmi (sp?)
Oh you also missed a whole bunch of photos & maybe you could
search for same.
Hope your finger heals itself.

Old 12-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Kenni Judd

Diana: Glad to hear you are safe and mostly sound G. We, too, had both
eyewalls; we were in the eye for about 4 hours, from a little after midnight
till about 4:30 am. Clearly, Frances was a huge storm! [For those of you
less familiar with Florida geography, we are about 50-60 miles south of
Diana.] Most of our damage looks to have come from the eastern eyewall.

Juno Beach Orchids is up and running, and we are very busy thanking our
lucky stars. Our two small open-air shadehouses were badly damaged, but our
big shadehouses held up extremely well, so our crop is fine. We will have
to replace the roof on at least one bay, where one corner ripped out. Most
of the other stuff that came down was slated for removal anyway -- the
bougainvillea arbor, the frame of the old pumphouse, a big pine tree that
was in the way. Another tree that came down missed our show trailer by
about 6" ... Our power came back on Monday morning. Phones and cable/ISP
were just restored late yesterday. So all we need is for a whole bunch of
you to buy some orchids, so we can pay for repairs G.

Bill Hill at Orchid Island Orchids has much more extensive damage, still has
no power, and can call out but not receive on his phone. He wouldn't ask
even if he could, but he could use some help, if there's a strong back in
his neighborhood willing to give him a hand. His address is 4745 61st.
Court; Vero Beach, fl 32967 -- you'll have to just show up, since you can't
reach him by phone or email.

I've spoken to Faith and she says they are OK. I don't know about Odom's or
Palm Bay.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Dear RGO Friends -

There is so much more to write, and I have no time! Damage locally is
nasty, but I think most everyone here is whole, but I don't yet know about
the local growers. Odom's and Kenni Judd are two that I am thinking

about,
but have not been able to reach either just yet. Also Bill Hill at Orchid
Island, and Faith's, and Palm Bay. Many others. Promise to write more.

Dumb broken finger has been low on the local medical toem pole. Have an
appt. on Tues. with an orthopaedist. If he wants to rebreak it we're

going
to fight.......

Frank says "Hi, Orchid Fiends!"

Diana

Is now okay to divide red hot pokers? Rosie United Kingdom 6 09-06-2004 05:25 PM
RichToyBox okay? FBCS Ponds 0 21-09-2003 01:03 AM
Lead weights okay? Doug David Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:21 AM
okay to buy plants at Red Barn after the freeze? sort Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
okay to buy plants at Red Barn after the freeze? sort Texas 2 05-03-2003 01:27 AM