Old 19-09-2004, 02:33 AM
betsyb

Default Old Den Nobile problem

I have a Den and am a bit concerned about withholding water and
fertilizer come next month. At present it has 5 keikis on one stem, none of
which seem large enuf to separate. Should I begin the winter cool down and
hold back on the water or remove the keikis and hope for the best?

Old 19-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Gene Schurg

Betsy,

What does the rest of the plant look like? Did it bloom last winter/spring?

The keikis form for a couple of reasons. Maybe you over fertilized it?
Maybe you didn't let it rest last winter?

If you want it to bloom you have to give it a rest cycle. I usually start
the "dry" period for my plants around mid-november. By then the days are
consistently cool and getting short. That seems to work in the DC area.
Your climate may be different.

If the plant is large and healthy otherwise I would recommend that you give
it a rest.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 19-09-2004, 05:00 PM
betsyb

I am in NJ and it had the recommended rest and fertilizer last fall into
late January. Apparently it wasn't getting enuf light and I have since
remidied that. It had a few flowers in the early spring but nothing but
keikis since. 15 and everyone has some!! There are five left and I was
wondering if I should remove them before late October?

ink.net...

Old 20-09-2004, 12:05 AM
Gene Schurg

Betsy,

Well, more light would help with more flowers.

I'd leave the remaining keikies that are small on the plant and put it
through a rest period.

Did you get a lot of new canes this season? That is where the best blooms
will come from.

Good growing,
Gene

Old 20-09-2004, 01:34 AM
wendy7

Good advice Gene but also doesn't a dying plant give off
keiki's as well? So I think Betsy should check out the mother plant's
root system.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 20-09-2004, 01:58 AM
betsyb

"betsyb" wrote in message
I have a Den and am a bit concerned about withholding water and
fertilizer come next month. At present it has 5 keikis on one stem, none

of
which seem large enuf to separate. Should I begin the winter cool down and
hold back on the water or remove the keikis and hope for the best?

Tomorrow I will check her root system for any possible problems. Hope she is
alright. There are also about three new shoots coming from the base of the
plant.
Thanks to you both for the advice.

Den nobile betsyb Orchids 8 12-07-2006 08:08 PM
Den nobile varieties? Gene Schurg Orchids 3 07-01-2006 05:33 AM
Old Den Nobile problem betsyb Orchids 0 19-09-2004 02:33 AM
Orchid name etymology (Den. nobile) Rob Halgren Orchids 0 19-07-2004 06:07 PM
Den nobile question Dave Sheehy Orchids 2 01-04-2003 01:20 AM