Old 18-10-2004, 09:21 AM
GARLAND HANSON

Manzanita is a good choice. Andy's Orchids in So. Cal uses it extensively
for his mounted orchid species. I don't know how he preps it, if at all
though. If you are interested, his site is at
http://www.andysorchids.com/default.asp

Good luck!
Garland

"Lori Siegmund" wrote in message
om...
Hi All,

I just stumbled on this thread, and am so glad.... as I was wondering
if manzanita trunks and large branches would make decent orchid
mounting material. Any opinions on that? This is manzanita that is
native to Northern California. I have plenty of it on our property.
Some of it pretty old and obviously dead looking. The red bark is all
peeled away. Nothing but weathered, gray, gnarly twisted trunks and
limbs. Pretty cool looking stuff!

Wendy, how long do you soak the bark in Malathion and then in clear
water? Also, have you ever tried manzanita for mounting your orchids?

Thanks!
Lori

Old 18-10-2004, 01:35 PM
wendy7

Hi Lori & welcome,
I soaked the wood for a day & then added the Malathion which
sat over night. Soaked for a day in plain water & rinsed then sun dried.
I poured the Malathion solution on an old tree stump afterwards.
I am wondering if one could use a fumigating method in a trash can.
The trick would be how to set off the canister.
I shall have to visit you if I am ever up in your neck of the
woods! *G*
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 18-10-2004, 06:53 PM
Dave Sheehy

GARLAND HANSON ) wrote:
: Manzanita is a good choice. Andy's Orchids in So. Cal uses it extensively
: for his mounted orchid species. I don't know how he preps it, if at all
: though. If you are interested, his site is at
: http://www.andysorchids.com/default.asp

The mounted orchids I have from Andy's look like they're mounted on
Eucalyptus. I'm certainly no expert though so I guess it could be Manzanita.
I'll have to take a closer look when I get home tonight.

Dave

Old 19-10-2004, 02:48 AM
GARLAND HANSON

GARLAND HANSON ) wrote:
: Manzanita is a good choice. Andy's Orchids in So. Cal uses it
extensively
: for his mounted orchid species. I don't know how he preps it, if at all
: though. If you are interested, his site is at
: http://www.andysorchids.com/default.asp

The mounted orchids I have from Andy's look like they're mounted on
Eucalyptus. I'm certainly no expert though so I guess it could be
Manzanita.
I'll have to take a closer look when I get home tonight.

Dave

mower engine mounting - only 3 bolts - is this OK?? AAG United Kingdom 24 15-04-2005 08:04 PM
Cork Mounting Question Wendy Orchids 6 30-07-2004 04:25 PM
Mounting on Palm Pods? Diana Kulaga Orchids 2 27-12-2003 10:40 PM
Need sources for "mounting" media like cork, fiber or wood Hal Tess Orchids 5 22-10-2003 02:23 PM
Mounting a Den lindleyi (aggregatum) PIETER ZUYDERVLIET Orchids 0 28-01-2003 12:22 AM