Old 04-04-2005, 10:13 AM
AAG

Default mower engine mounting - only 3 bolts - is this OK??

I've just bought (online) a new Castel lawnmower with a 5.5 hp Honda engine
and notice that the engine is bolted to the aluminium deck by three bolts.

The engine has four evenly spaced mounting holes but one of them does not
line up with a hole in the deck therefore the span between two of the
mounting bolts is approxiately 180°.

Should I be concerned about this??

Old 04-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Mike

"AAG" wrote in message
news
I've just bought (online) a new Castel lawnmower with a 5.5 hp Honda

engine
and notice that the engine is bolted to the aluminium deck by three bolts.

The engine has four evenly spaced mounting holes but one of them does not
line up with a hole in the deck therefore the span between two of the
mounting bolts is approxiately 180°.

Should I be concerned about this??

Yes.

Is the Aluminium plate a casting or a sheet plate? A casting could split, a
plate tear.

How far out of line is the 4th hole?

Is the plate drilled and tapped or a clear hole for a bolt to go through
then a nut on the underside?

Could the hole be made to line up with the assistance of a smaller round
file?

Have you contacted the seller and raised your concerns? This should be done
before you do anything yourself, but I have a feeling that if they sent it
out like that they couldn't care less, BUT, they could be a fine company, be
concerned and exchange it for you.

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past

Old 04-04-2005, 12:25 PM
AAG

"Mike" wrote in message

"AAG" wrote in message
news
I've just bought (online) a new Castel lawnmower with a 5.5 hp Honda

engine
and notice that the engine is bolted to the aluminium deck by three
bolts.

The engine has four evenly spaced mounting holes but one of them does not
line up with a hole in the deck therefore the span between two of the
mounting bolts is approxiately 180°.

Should I be concerned about this??

Yes.

Is the Aluminium plate a casting or a sheet plate? A casting could split,
plate tear.

The deck is a single aluminium casting with four strengthened bits for
engine fixing.

How far out of line is the 4th hole?

Nearly the width of the hole. At the moment it would nearly be possible to
poke a 1/8 th inch drill through.

Is the plate drilled and tapped or a clear hole for a bolt to go through
then a nut on the underside?

Could the hole be made to line up with the assistance of a smaller round
file?

Definitly not. It is too far out and drilling or filing would move the hole
out of the strenghened area. There does not seem to be any scope for
loosening off the others and moving the engine slightly as the holes need to
line up exactly.

Have you contacted the seller and raised your concerns? This should be
done
before you do anything yourself, but I have a feeling that if they sent it
out like that they couldn't care less, BUT, they could be a fine company,
be
concerned and exchange it for you.

Yes I've just emailed asking about this and they replied:

" I can confirm that the positioning of the engine to the deck is normal.
this ih how all the Honda engines are fitted to machines. "

He is saying that all Honda engines are mounted by three bolts with one hole
left unused!!!

Old 04-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Nick Gray

snipped

Have you contacted the seller and raised your concerns? This should be
done
before you do anything yourself, but I have a feeling that if they sent

it
out like that they couldn't care less, BUT, they could be a fine

company,
be
concerned and exchange it for you.

Yes I've just emailed asking about this and they replied:

" I can confirm that the positioning of the engine to the deck is normal.
this ih how all the Honda engines are fitted to machines. "

He is saying that all Honda engines are mounted by three bolts with one

hole
left unused!!!

The hole alignment is probably so they can use either a Briggs and Stratton
or a Honda engine on the same mower deck. If you've got it in writing that
this is how it is meant to be secured, then I wouldn't worry, although it
might be worth getting confirmation from Castel and or Honda (Honda customer
service can be reached at http://www.honda.co.uk/contact/contactForm.jsp) as
it's them that will be providing the guarantee.

HTH

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 04-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Mike

" I can confirm that the positioning of the engine to the deck is normal.
this ih how all the Honda engines are fitted to machines. "

He is saying that all Honda engines are mounted by three bolts with one

hole
left unused!!!

From here, and without seeing it, I find that very hard to believe and I
would need a lot of convincing that everything is in order

Old 04-04-2005, 01:32 PM
AAG

"Nick Gray" wrote in message
snipped

Have you contacted the seller and raised your concerns? This should be
done
before you do anything yourself, but I have a feeling that if they sent

it
out like that they couldn't care less, BUT, they could be a fine

company,
be
concerned and exchange it for you.

Yes I've just emailed asking about this and they replied:

" I can confirm that the positioning of the engine to the deck is normal.
this ih how all the Honda engines are fitted to machines. "

He is saying that all Honda engines are mounted by three bolts with one

hole
left unused!!!

The hole alignment is probably so they can use either a Briggs and
Stratton
or a Honda engine on the same mower deck.

Yes it seems quite likely that it is designed to take more than one type of
engine but it looks like this particular Honda engine is not one of them.

If you've got it in writing that
this is how it is meant to be secured, then I wouldn't worry, although it
might be worth getting confirmation from Castel and or Honda (Honda
customer
service can be reached at http://www.honda.co.uk/contact/contactForm.jsp)
as
it's them that will be providing the guarantee.

Yes that sounds a good idea. Thanks

Old 04-04-2005, 02:21 PM
AAG

"AAG" wrote in message
news
I've just bought (online) a new Castel lawnmower with a 5.5 hp Honda
engine
and notice that the engine is bolted to the aluminium deck by three bolts.

The engine has four evenly spaced mounting holes but one of them does not
line up with a hole in the deck therefore the span between two of the
mounting bolts is approxiately 180°.

Should I be concerned about this??

UPDATE

The vendor has contacted me by phone and tells me again that all lawnmower
engines are held on by only 3 bolts and that this is to reduce the chance of
putting stress on the deck if it, or the engine base are not quite flat. I'd
be grateful if anyone could confirm or contradict this.

Old 04-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Nick Gray

"AAG" wrote in message
news

"AAG" wrote in message
news
I've just bought (online) a new Castel lawnmower with a 5.5 hp Honda
engine
and notice that the engine is bolted to the aluminium deck by three

bolts.

The engine has four evenly spaced mounting holes but one of them does

not
line up with a hole in the deck therefore the span between two of the
mounting bolts is approxiately 180°.

Should I be concerned about this??

UPDATE

The vendor has contacted me by phone and tells me again that all lawnmower
engines are held on by only 3 bolts and that this is to reduce the chance

of
putting stress on the deck if it, or the engine base are not quite flat.

I'd
be grateful if anyone could confirm or contradict this.

Hmm, interesting.

I'd have thought that the stress on the deck would be the same whether using
3 or 4 bolts, but any stresses would be more evenly distributed using 4
bolts. An engine base is meant to be bolted to the deck, so why would they
ever manufacture one whose base isn't 'quite flat'?. It also begs the
question that if all the availably engines are only held on with 3 bolts,
then what is the extra hole in the deck for?

Having said all that, I've just been out and checked my mower (8 years
old) - a Briggs and Stratton on a Mountfield deck and it's only held on with
3 bolts!!! - forming an 'L' shape. There isn't a spare hole in the deck
though.

It's probably still worthwhile contacting Honda or Castel, just to get
confirmation from the horses mouth.

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 04-04-2005, 03:53 PM
bigboard

Nick Gray wrote:

[...]

Perhaps these engines are only mounted with three bolts for the same reason
milking stools only have three legs: On an uneven surface, all three legs
will always touch the ground. Add a fourth, and the stool rocks. On a
lawnmower, if the deck is not perfectly flat, or gets bent out of shape, a
fourth mounting point would suffer from more play away from the deck and
wouldn't be solid as a three mount point design. Just a theory!

--
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.

Old 04-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Mike

UPDATE

The vendor has contacted me by phone and tells me again that all lawnmower
engines are held on by only 3 bolts and that this is to reduce the chance

of
putting stress on the deck if it, or the engine base are not quite flat.

I'd
be grateful if anyone could confirm or contradict this.

3 holes/fixings yes, if they equally spaced.

The practice of the milk maid's stool holds fast here, 3 legs and stability.

I would like to see the fixing holes 120 degrees apart, not 90, 90 and 180!!

Mike

Old 05-04-2005, 09:07 AM
AAG

"Nick Gray" wrote in message

"AAG" wrote in message
news

[...]

Amazing. Perhaps they are right then. Thanks for looking. Anyone else???

It's probably still worthwhile contacting Honda or Castel, just to get
confirmation from the horses mouth.

Have emailed Honda and intending to contact Castel or distributor once I can
get their details.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:45 PM
len gardener

g'day,

it's quiet common for engines to only have 3 mounting bolts in certain
applications, b&s usually end up that way if they wanted 4 bolts then
the chassis would be made to accomodate that. and with 3 bolts firmly
fitted nothng can happen well in all my years of mower mechanicing
i've never seen any problems.

if you have the warewithall then you can always drill another hole and
fit anothe bolt, might be a bit like wearing braces on your undies
though hey chuckle.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Mike

it's quiet common for engines to only have 3 mounting bolts in certain
applications, b&s usually end up that way if they wanted 4 bolts then
the chassis would be made to accomodate that. and with 3 bolts firmly
fitted nothng can happen well in all my years of mower mechanicing
i've never seen any problems.

are these 3 bolt fixings at the 120 degree, 120 degree and 120 degree? and
is it common to have 90, 90 and 180? Seems odd to me.
Mike

Old 06-04-2005, 07:47 PM
len gardener

g'day mike,

in the case of b&s they have a mounting hole at each corner of the
engine so to speak. but mower manufacturers only ever drill their
frames to use 3 of those holes, commonly the one under the fuel tank
near the base of the bore , and the other 2 holes at the front or
opossite end of the bore. these holes in the engine are moulded into
the sump of the enging this is very strong so with 3 bolts firmly
fitted there is no way anything untoward could happen.

most mower frames over here are alloy so they are quiet rigid in their
own right maybe some other manufacturers who use steel decks may need
4 bolts to bolster the strength of the deck as in take some
felxibility or wharping potential out of the deck.

but my expereince tells me the engine doesn't need 4 bolts.

len

snipped

Old 06-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Mike

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day mike,

in the case of b&s they have a mounting hole at each corner of the
engine so to speak. but mower manufacturers only ever drill their
frames to use 3 of those holes, commonly the one under the fuel tank
near the base of the bore , and the other 2 holes at the front or
opossite end of the bore. these holes in the engine are moulded into
the sump of the enging this is very strong so with 3 bolts firmly
fitted there is no way anything untoward could happen.

most mower frames over here are alloy so they are quiet rigid in their
own right maybe some other manufacturers who use steel decks may need
4 bolts to bolster the strength of the deck as in take some
felxibility or wharping potential out of the deck.

but my expereince tells me the engine doesn't need 4 bolts.

len

Thanks for that Len. I am not an Engineer but a Marine Electrical Engineer
(at the start and end of my working life and a Telephone Engineer in the
middle;-) and as a Marine person I was looking at stresses and strains which
of course are encountered on rough water, and was applying this to
undulating land/lawns and in particular banks.

Best wishes

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past
H.M.S.Impregnable Ass. Sussex 1 - 4 July Visit to Int. Fest of the Sea
RAF Regiment Assoc. Scarborough 2 - 5 Sept. Visit to Eden Camp

Crittall Greenhouse - new bolts required Paul Nixon Gardening 8 31-05-2011 08:55 AM
MTD Mower: Can't remove rear wheel axel bolts Thomas G. Marshall Lawns 8 23-06-2007 06:15 PM
B&S quattro head bolts.. jannik Lawns 0 08-10-2006 05:33 PM
What can I plant after lettuce bolts? PatK Gardening 16 14-07-2005 04:24 AM
Removing Rusted Bolts? Elson Lawns 7 12-08-2003 10:16 PM