Old 27-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Mike

Default My Phalaenopsis is growing ROOTS and not a SPIKE!

Orchid friends,

My Phalaenopsis is growing two new roots and no spike yet! The plant
is extremely healthy and happy. It has 8 healthy leaves at the moment.
I am fertilizing it with 10-60-10 (Schultz Bloom Plus) to push it into
spike. I am even giving it the cold treatment at night for a few
hours. Day temps are about 22C/71F and night temps are about 8C/46F.
But there is no sign of a spike yet! I live in Southwestern Ontario,
so the plant should be producing a spike right about this time.

The roots are pointy and about 0.5 cm in length. The tips are reddish.
I'm assuming they are roots since they are growing down.

I also see tiny white and black bugs walking around. Which
insecticides are safe to use with an orchid?

What am I doing wrong?

Mike

http://www.usenet.com
Old 27-10-2004, 07:49 PM
Claude

Hello!

Here are my guess...

Your day time temperature seems little bit too low! Most phal like to grow
between 21C and 28C, although some like it hotter and some colder. But the
temperature drop at night seems too big. A difference of 10C between daytime
and nighttime would be better.

The fact that the tip of your roots is getting reddish mean that your plant
is in active growing period. That part is called apical meristem.

About your bugs, can you describe them a bit better! Do they fly? are they
on the medium?
Did you check the leaves? roots?

Claude

Old 27-10-2004, 07:49 PM
Claude

Old 27-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Ray

Most of the time I see the formation of inflorescences several weeks after a
couple of weeks of cold treatment is applied.

If possible, I would also recommend increasing the temperatures by about
5°C.

..

Old 27-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Mike

Claude,

Why would the plant be in an active growing period? Shouldn't this be
the time when the plant stops growing new leaves and roots and
produces a spike?

The white bugs (which I've only seem a few) are teeny tiny bugs that
only crawl. I saw them on and around the new roots and on the medium.

The orchid came in a small clear plastic pot which was embedded in
bark inside a clay pot. I repotted the orchid into the clay pot which
is 6" I think. The plant had a lot of roots. I clipped away the dead,
mushy roots. The remaining roots almost completely filled the pot.

Can a phalaenopsis grow roots and spike at the same time?

What does a flower spike emerging from the base of the plant look
like? The roots emerged from nodes (bumps) on the base of the plant at
the same level where the old spike was cut.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Mike

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:49:17 -0400, "Claude"
wrote:

Hello!

Here are my guess...

Your day time temperature seems little bit too low! Most phal like to grow
between 21C and 28C, although some like it hotter and some colder. But the
temperature drop at night seems too big. A difference of 10C between daytime
and nighttime would be better.

The fact that the tip of your roots is getting reddish mean that your plant
is in active growing period. That part is called apical meristem.

About your bugs, can you describe them a bit better! Do they fly? are they
on the medium?
Did you check the leaves? roots?

Claude

.. .

Old 27-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Mike

wrote:

Hello!

Here are my guess...

Your day time temperature seems little bit too low! Most phal like to grow
between 21C and 28C, although some like it hotter and some colder. But the
temperature drop at night seems too big. A difference of 10C between daytime
and nighttime would be better.

The fact that the tip of your roots is getting reddish mean that your plant
is in active growing period. That part is called apical meristem.

About your bugs, can you describe them a bit better! Do they fly? are they
on the medium?
Did you check the leaves? roots?

Claude

.. .

Old 27-10-2004, 08:36 PM
Claude

Hello again!

Blooming takes lot`s of energy for a plant.
If you just repotted the plant and cut some roots, the plant is busy
adapting to the new environment. The plants needs to establish it`s roots
before blooming.
Phals grow aerial roots to capture moisture and nutrients from the air. They
can grow roots and spike together if the plant is really happy.

A spike looks almost like the tip of the root except it`s flat instead or
round. Usually, spike emerge between 2 leaves.

My advice, if I may, would be to leave the plant for now since it`s getting
establish. For the bugs, I would try an alcohol spray and keep the plant
away from the others.

Claude

"Mike" wrote in message
| Claude,
|
| Why would the plant be in an active growing period? Shouldn't this be
| the time when the plant stops growing new leaves and roots and
| produces a spike?
|
| The white bugs (which I've only seem a few) are teeny tiny bugs that
| only crawl. I saw them on and around the new roots and on the medium.
|
| The orchid came in a small clear plastic pot which was embedded in
| bark inside a clay pot. I repotted the orchid into the clay pot which
| is 6" I think. The plant had a lot of roots. I clipped away the dead,
| mushy roots. The remaining roots almost completely filled the pot.
|
| Can a phalaenopsis grow roots and spike at the same time?
|
| What does a flower spike emerging from the base of the plant look
| like? The roots emerged from nodes (bumps) on the base of the plant at
| the same level where the old spike was cut.
|
| Any help would be much appreciated!
|
| Mike
|
| On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:49:17 -0400, "Claude"
| wrote:
|
| Hello!
|
| Here are my guess...
|
| Your day time temperature seems little bit too low! Most phal like to
grow
| between 21C and 28C, although some like it hotter and some colder. But
the
| temperature drop at night seems too big. A difference of 10C between
daytime
| and nighttime would be better.
|
| The fact that the tip of your roots is getting reddish mean that your
plant
| is in active growing period. That part is called apical meristem.
|
| About your bugs, can you describe them a bit better! Do they fly? are
they
| on the medium?
| Did you check the leaves? roots?
|
| Claude
|
| "Mike" wrote in message
| .. .
| | Orchid friends,
| |
| | My Phalaenopsis is growing two new roots and no spike yet! The plant
| | is extremely healthy and happy. It has 8 healthy leaves at the moment.
| | I am fertilizing it with 10-60-10 (Schultz Bloom Plus) to push it into
| | spike. I am even giving it the cold treatment at night for a few
| | hours. Day temps are about 22C/71F and night temps are about 8C/46F.
| | But there is no sign of a spike yet! I live in Southwestern Ontario,
| | so the plant should be producing a spike right about this time.
| |
| | The roots are pointy and about 0.5 cm in length. The tips are reddish.
| | I'm assuming they are roots since they are growing down.
| |
| | I also see tiny white and black bugs walking around. Which
| | insecticides are safe to use with an orchid?
| |
| | What am I doing wrong?
| |
| | Mike
| |

Old 27-10-2004, 08:36 PM
Claude

"Mike" wrote in message
| Claude,
|
| Why would the plant be in an active growing period? Shouldn't this be
| the time when the plant stops growing new leaves and roots and
| produces a spike?
|
| The white bugs (which I've only seem a few) are teeny tiny bugs that
| only crawl. I saw them on and around the new roots and on the medium.
|
| The orchid came in a small clear plastic pot which was embedded in
| bark inside a clay pot. I repotted the orchid into the clay pot which
| is 6" I think. The plant had a lot of roots. I clipped away the dead,
| mushy roots. The remaining roots almost completely filled the pot.
|
| Can a phalaenopsis grow roots and spike at the same time?
|
| What does a flower spike emerging from the base of the plant look
| like? The roots emerged from nodes (bumps) on the base of the plant at
| the same level where the old spike was cut.
|
| Any help would be much appreciated!
|
| Mike
|
| On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:49:17 -0400, "Claude"
| wrote:
|
| Hello!
|
| Here are my guess...
|
| Your day time temperature seems little bit too low! Most phal like to
grow
| between 21C and 28C, although some like it hotter and some colder. But
the
| temperature drop at night seems too big. A difference of 10C between
daytime
| and nighttime would be better.
|
| The fact that the tip of your roots is getting reddish mean that your
plant
| is in active growing period. That part is called apical meristem.
|
| About your bugs, can you describe them a bit better! Do they fly? are
they
| on the medium?
| Did you check the leaves? roots?
|
| Claude
|
| "Mike" wrote in message
| .. .
| | Orchid friends,
| |
| | My Phalaenopsis is growing two new roots and no spike yet! The plant
| | is extremely healthy and happy. It has 8 healthy leaves at the moment.
| | I am fertilizing it with 10-60-10 (Schultz Bloom Plus) to push it into
| | spike. I am even giving it the cold treatment at night for a few
| | hours. Day temps are about 22C/71F and night temps are about 8C/46F.
| | But there is no sign of a spike yet! I live in Southwestern Ontario,
| | so the plant should be producing a spike right about this time.
| |
| | The roots are pointy and about 0.5 cm in length. The tips are reddish.
| | I'm assuming they are roots since they are growing down.
| |
| | I also see tiny white and black bugs walking around. Which
| | insecticides are safe to use with an orchid?
| |
| | What am I doing wrong?
| |
| | Mike
| |

Old 27-10-2004, 08:51 PM
Mike

Claude,

The orchid was repotted in July. I would think that it would be well
established by now.

The roots are emerging from the outside part of the base of the plant,
not between two leaves. So, if I see something emerging from between
two leaves I should celebrate? :-)

Mike

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:36:14 -0400, "Claude"
wrote:

Hello again!

Blooming takes lot`s of energy for a plant.
If you just repotted the plant and cut some roots, the plant is busy
adapting to the new environment. The plants needs to establish it`s roots
before blooming.
Phals grow aerial roots to capture moisture and nutrients from the air. They
can grow roots and spike together if the plant is really happy.

A spike looks almost like the tip of the root except it`s flat instead or
round. Usually, spike emerge between 2 leaves.

My advice, if I may, would be to leave the plant for now since it`s getting
establish. For the bugs, I would try an alcohol spray and keep the plant
away from the others.

Claude

"Mike" wrote in message
.. .
| Claude,
|
| Why would the plant be in an active growing period? Shouldn't this be
| the time when the plant stops growing new leaves and roots and
| produces a spike?
|
| The white bugs (which I've only seem a few) are teeny tiny bugs that
| only crawl. I saw them on and around the new roots and on the medium.
|
| The orchid came in a small clear plastic pot which was embedded in
| bark inside a clay pot. I repotted the orchid into the clay pot which
| is 6" I think. The plant had a lot of roots. I clipped away the dead,
| mushy roots. The remaining roots almost completely filled the pot.
|
| Can a phalaenopsis grow roots and spike at the same time?
|
| What does a flower spike emerging from the base of the plant look
| like? The roots emerged from nodes (bumps) on the base of the plant at
| the same level where the old spike was cut.
|
| Any help would be much appreciated!
|
| Mike
|
| On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:49:17 -0400, "Claude"
| wrote:
|
| Hello!
|
| Here are my guess...
|
| Your day time temperature seems little bit too low! Most phal like to
grow
| between 21C and 28C, although some like it hotter and some colder. But
the
| temperature drop at night seems too big. A difference of 10C between
daytime
| and nighttime would be better.
|
| The fact that the tip of your roots is getting reddish mean that your
plant
| is in active growing period. That part is called apical meristem.
|
| About your bugs, can you describe them a bit better! Do they fly? are
they
| on the medium?
| Did you check the leaves? roots?
|
| Claude
|
| "Mike" wrote in message
| .. .
| | Orchid friends,
| |
| | My Phalaenopsis is growing two new roots and no spike yet! The plant
| | is extremely healthy and happy. It has 8 healthy leaves at the moment.
| | I am fertilizing it with 10-60-10 (Schultz Bloom Plus) to push it into
| | spike. I am even giving it the cold treatment at night for a few
| | hours. Day temps are about 22C/71F and night temps are about 8C/46F.
| | But there is no sign of a spike yet! I live in Southwestern Ontario,
| | so the plant should be producing a spike right about this time.
| |
| | The roots are pointy and about 0.5 cm in length. The tips are reddish.
| | I'm assuming they are roots since they are growing down.
| |
| | I also see tiny white and black bugs walking around. Which
| | insecticides are safe to use with an orchid?
| |
| | What am I doing wrong?
| |
| | Mike
| |

Old 27-10-2004, 08:51 PM
Mike

wrote:

Hello again!

Blooming takes lot`s of energy for a plant.
If you just repotted the plant and cut some roots, the plant is busy
adapting to the new environment. The plants needs to establish it`s roots
before blooming.
Phals grow aerial roots to capture moisture and nutrients from the air. They
can grow roots and spike together if the plant is really happy.

A spike looks almost like the tip of the root except it`s flat instead or
round. Usually, spike emerge between 2 leaves.

My advice, if I may, would be to leave the plant for now since it`s getting
establish. For the bugs, I would try an alcohol spray and keep the plant
away from the others.

Claude

"Mike" wrote in message
.. .
| Claude,
|
| Why would the plant be in an active growing period? Shouldn't this be
| the time when the plant stops growing new leaves and roots and
| produces a spike?
|
| The white bugs (which I've only seem a few) are teeny tiny bugs that
| only crawl. I saw them on and around the new roots and on the medium.
|
| The orchid came in a small clear plastic pot which was embedded in
| bark inside a clay pot. I repotted the orchid into the clay pot which
| is 6" I think. The plant had a lot of roots. I clipped away the dead,
| mushy roots. The remaining roots almost completely filled the pot.
|
| Can a phalaenopsis grow roots and spike at the same time?
|
| What does a flower spike emerging from the base of the plant look
| like? The roots emerged from nodes (bumps) on the base of the plant at
| the same level where the old spike was cut.
|
| Any help would be much appreciated!
|
| Mike
|
| On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:49:17 -0400, "Claude"
| wrote:
|
| Hello!
|
| Here are my guess...
|
| Your day time temperature seems little bit too low! Most phal like to
grow
| between 21C and 28C, although some like it hotter and some colder. But
the
| temperature drop at night seems too big. A difference of 10C between
daytime
| and nighttime would be better.
|
| The fact that the tip of your roots is getting reddish mean that your
plant
| is in active growing period. That part is called apical meristem.
|
| About your bugs, can you describe them a bit better! Do they fly? are
they
| on the medium?
| Did you check the leaves? roots?
|
| Claude
|
| "Mike" wrote in message
| .. .
| | Orchid friends,
| |
| | My Phalaenopsis is growing two new roots and no spike yet! The plant
| | is extremely healthy and happy. It has 8 healthy leaves at the moment.
| | I am fertilizing it with 10-60-10 (Schultz Bloom Plus) to push it into
| | spike. I am even giving it the cold treatment at night for a few
| | hours. Day temps are about 22C/71F and night temps are about 8C/46F.
| | But there is no sign of a spike yet! I live in Southwestern Ontario,
| | so the plant should be producing a spike right about this time.
| |
| | The roots are pointy and about 0.5 cm in length. The tips are reddish.
| | I'm assuming they are roots since they are growing down.
| |
| | I also see tiny white and black bugs walking around. Which
| | insecticides are safe to use with an orchid?
| |
| | What am I doing wrong?
| |
| | Mike
| |
Old 28-10-2004, 12:48 AM
J Fortuna

Mike,
not between two leaves. So, if I see something emerging from between
two leaves I should celebrate? :-)

No, roots could emerge from pretty much the same place as spikes. Also, a
spike can grow down and roots could grow up, so the direction does not mean
much. The main ways to differentiate a root from a spike in a Phal a

-- the tips of the roots will be more rounded, whereas the tips of the spike
will be more pointed
-- the roots are more likely to be shiny and more likely to be covered by a
white layer, whereas the spike is less likely to have a shiny white layer,
but will instead be green, brown, or purplish and non-shiny
-- spikes have nodes, sort of like knuckles in fingers, which subdivide a
spike into parts (these nodes are places where the spike might branch or
grow a bud from or grow a keiki from), whereas roots don't have such nodes

It takes some experience to tell a root from a spike in a Phal, but with
time after you have had many of them you will be able to tell fairly early
on which one it is. I am usually correct in guessing whether it is a spike
or root almost right away, but I have 28 Phals and have been observing roots
and spikes for 3.5 years now.

How long have you had this Phal? When is the last time your Phal bloomed?
Some Phals bloom only in the spring, for example, so this Phal might be a
spring bloomer. Some of my Phals bloom both in the fall and in the spring,
but I think that's more of an exception than a rule, especially at the
beginning you are less likely to be disappointed if you expect your Phal to
bloom only once a year. I have one Phal that has now started a new spike
after 1.5 years of not spiking, so that can happen, too.

I would be a bit worried about your night time temperatures, they seem a bit
too low to me. Also the fact that you have some insects wandering on it,
depending on what kind of insects they are (whether they are an orchid
pest), this may cause stress to the plant and cause it not to bloom.

Also how much light are you providing this orchid? Where is it located? Have
you tried changing the location to a better one? Sometimes a plant will not
rebloom, and then one moves it to a different spot, and that does it.

I once read that the two things that are most likely to cause a plant not to
respike are insufficient light or no difference between day and night
temperature (you have that covered, though maybe your difference is too
much?). The other thing that I read is that sometimes orchids will not bloom
if they are too happy, so if they are being given too much fertilizer, too
much light, and being watered too regularly, they may be too lazy to
rebloom -- orchids often thrive on a certain level of benign neglect, and
some speculate that some degree of deprivation may be beneficial and induce
flowering (though don't overdo this).

That said, I have 2 Phals that have not reflowered for me either, and I
don't have a clue why they have not, while the others have been reflowering
as expected or even more frequently. I think that having only one orchid
plant increases the chance that you will fret over it more, and have high
expectations for it, and it may not do what you expect. So get more orchids!

Hope that some of this is helpful to you.

Best,
Joanna

wrote:

Hello again!

Blooming takes lot`s of energy for a plant.
If you just repotted the plant and cut some roots, the plant is busy
adapting to the new environment. The plants needs to establish it`s roots
before blooming.
Phals grow aerial roots to capture moisture and nutrients from the air.

They
can grow roots and spike together if the plant is really happy.

A spike looks almost like the tip of the root except it`s flat instead or
round. Usually, spike emerge between 2 leaves.

My advice, if I may, would be to leave the plant for now since it`s

getting
establish. For the bugs, I would try an alcohol spray and keep the plant
away from the others.

Claude

"Mike" wrote in message
.. .
| Claude,
|
| Why would the plant be in an active growing period? Shouldn't this be
| the time when the plant stops growing new leaves and roots and
| produces a spike?
|
| The white bugs (which I've only seem a few) are teeny tiny bugs that
| only crawl. I saw them on and around the new roots and on the medium.
|
| The orchid came in a small clear plastic pot which was embedded in
| bark inside a clay pot. I repotted the orchid into the clay pot which
| is 6" I think. The plant had a lot of roots. I clipped away the dead,
| mushy roots. The remaining roots almost completely filled the pot.
|
| Can a phalaenopsis grow roots and spike at the same time?
|
| What does a flower spike emerging from the base of the plant look
| like? The roots emerged from nodes (bumps) on the base of the plant at
| the same level where the old spike was cut.
|
| Any help would be much appreciated!
|
| Mike
|
| On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:49:17 -0400, "Claude"
| wrote:
|
| Hello!
|
| Here are my guess...
|
| Your day time temperature seems little bit too low! Most phal like to
grow
| between 21C and 28C, although some like it hotter and some colder. But
the
| temperature drop at night seems too big. A difference of 10C between
daytime
| and nighttime would be better.
|
| The fact that the tip of your roots is getting reddish mean that your
plant
| is in active growing period. That part is called apical meristem.
|
| About your bugs, can you describe them a bit better! Do they fly? are
they
| on the medium?
| Did you check the leaves? roots?
|
| Claude
|
| "Mike" wrote in message
| .. .
| | Orchid friends,
| |
| | My Phalaenopsis is growing two new roots and no spike yet! The

plant
| | is extremely healthy and happy. It has 8 healthy leaves at the

moment.
| | I am fertilizing it with 10-60-10 (Schultz Bloom Plus) to push it

into
| | spike. I am even giving it the cold treatment at night for a few
| | hours. Day temps are about 22C/71F and night temps are about 8C/46F.
| | But there is no sign of a spike yet! I live in Southwestern Ontario,
| | so the plant should be producing a spike right about this time.
| |
| | The roots are pointy and about 0.5 cm in length. The tips are

reddish.
| | I'm assuming they are roots since they are growing down.
| |
| | I also see tiny white and black bugs walking around. Which
| | insecticides are safe to use with an orchid?
| |
| | What am I doing wrong?
| |
| | Mike
| |

Old 28-10-2004, 12:48 AM
J Fortuna

Mike,

wrote:

Hello again!

Blooming takes lot`s of energy for a plant.
If you just repotted the plant and cut some roots, the plant is busy
adapting to the new environment. The plants needs to establish it`s roots
before blooming.
Phals grow aerial roots to capture moisture and nutrients from the air.

They
can grow roots and spike together if the plant is really happy.

A spike looks almost like the tip of the root except it`s flat instead or
round. Usually, spike emerge between 2 leaves.

My advice, if I may, would be to leave the plant for now since it`s

getting
establish. For the bugs, I would try an alcohol spray and keep the plant
away from the others.

Claude

"Mike" wrote in message
.. .
| Claude,
|
| Why would the plant be in an active growing period? Shouldn't this be
| the time when the plant stops growing new leaves and roots and
| produces a spike?
|
| The white bugs (which I've only seem a few) are teeny tiny bugs that
| only crawl. I saw them on and around the new roots and on the medium.
|
| The orchid came in a small clear plastic pot which was embedded in
| bark inside a clay pot. I repotted the orchid into the clay pot which
| is 6" I think. The plant had a lot of roots. I clipped away the dead,
| mushy roots. The remaining roots almost completely filled the pot.
|
| Can a phalaenopsis grow roots and spike at the same time?
|
| What does a flower spike emerging from the base of the plant look
| like? The roots emerged from nodes (bumps) on the base of the plant at
| the same level where the old spike was cut.
|
| Any help would be much appreciated!
|
| Mike
|
| On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:49:17 -0400, "Claude"
| wrote:
|
| Hello!
|
| Here are my guess...
|
| Your day time temperature seems little bit too low! Most phal like to
grow
| between 21C and 28C, although some like it hotter and some colder. But
the
| temperature drop at night seems too big. A difference of 10C between
daytime
| and nighttime would be better.
|
| The fact that the tip of your roots is getting reddish mean that your
plant
| is in active growing period. That part is called apical meristem.
|
| About your bugs, can you describe them a bit better! Do they fly? are
they
| on the medium?
| Did you check the leaves? roots?
|
| Claude
|
| "Mike" wrote in message
| .. .
| | Orchid friends,
| |
| | My Phalaenopsis is growing two new roots and no spike yet! The

plant
| | is extremely healthy and happy. It has 8 healthy leaves at the

moment.
| | I am fertilizing it with 10-60-10 (Schultz Bloom Plus) to push it

into
| | spike. I am even giving it the cold treatment at night for a few
| | hours. Day temps are about 22C/71F and night temps are about 8C/46F.
| | But there is no sign of a spike yet! I live in Southwestern Ontario,
| | so the plant should be producing a spike right about this time.
| |
| | The roots are pointy and about 0.5 cm in length. The tips are

reddish.
| | I'm assuming they are roots since they are growing down.
| |
| | I also see tiny white and black bugs walking around. Which
| | insecticides are safe to use with an orchid?
| |
| | What am I doing wrong?
| |
| | Mike
| |

Old 28-10-2004, 01:02 AM
dd

Mike,

I'm no expert at phals, but I have failed a lot--A LOT-- with getting
them to live and to flower, so please learn from my mistakes. First,
your fertilizer is dead wrong. Ditch the 10-60-10. The "60" is a big No
No. In nature, these guys only get a squirt of nutrients when a bird
flies overhead and has a bladder probem, or some rain forest stuff is
mildly decomposing... Go for a more balanced fertilzer, and use it at a
diluted strength--1/4 to 1/2 tsp per gallon.

Second, rapid root growth might be a "trying to survive" signal. Mist
the aerial roots daily. Many of my phals that were growing aerial roots
growth and spikes. So, humor the aerial roots, mist them with mildly
fertilized water, and if you have sufficient light, spikes will not be
far behind.

Your night temperatures are too cool. You are courting messophyl cell
collapse, I'd guess. Boost your night temps to 60 degrees F, and have
your day temps be at about 75-80 degrees F.

A wise old orchid dude once told me that if you can't get the sucker to
flower, move it to a different location in your growing area. In your
case, this might mean an area with more light or under light, such as
MH lights.

Regarding bugs: Use the small cannons first: a weekly water spray and
wipes with cotton balls drenched in rubbing alchohol can go a long
way.. If that doesn't work, blast them with chemicals, being careful
not to poison yourself, your family, or your beloved pets.

Good luck.

Old 28-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Mike

Joanna,

Thank you for your reply. It was most helpful.

I bought the orchid on December 24, 2003. It continued to flower
throughout December, January, and February. I completely removed the
spike in March (thought it was still green and healthy when I cut it,
but it had finished flowering).

During March, April, spring, summer, and fall it grew 3 new leaves. It
has 8 or 9 large, beautiful leaves. I repotted the orchid in orchid
mix in July.

The orchid came in a 6" clay pot. However, the orchid was actually
inside a much smaller, clear plastic pot embedded inside the clay pot
with bark.

I have a question about roots. I often read that orchid roots should
be green. Well, a few of my roots were actually green, but most were a
light brown color. When I took the orchid out of its plastic, clear
pot, it was pretty much full of roots and the roots were coming out of
the drainage holes in the bottom, too. I clipped away the dead, mushy
roots. When I removed the plant from the plastic pot, I noticed that
some of the roots seemed "broken". By that, I mean that there would be
breaks in the roots but the two segments would be held together by the
inner wire-like membrane. I left these roots intact and did not clip
them away. The orchid was repotted in the 6" clay pot with the roots
taking up most of the room.

Regarding the bugs... I don't know where they came from. I sometimes
see them walking around on the bark when I move the bark around. I was
suggested to use an alcohol spray, but I don't know how to do this. Do
I mix the alcohol with anything like water, or do I just spray it
undiluted? How much do I spray on the bark? I don't want to kill the
plant. Is there any other general insecticide that I could treat the
plant with to get rid of any bugs that are living in it?

The plant is getting all the sunlight that I can provide it. I don't
know what else to do. It is my one and only orchid and is beginning to
frustrate me.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Mike

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:48:47 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

Mike,
[...]

.. .

wrote:

Hello again!

Blooming takes lot`s of energy for a plant.
If you just repotted the plant and cut some roots, the plant is busy
adapting to the new environment. The plants needs to establish it`s roots
before blooming.
Phals grow aerial roots to capture moisture and nutrients from the air.

They
can grow roots and spike together if the plant is really happy.

A spike looks almost like the tip of the root except it`s flat instead or
round. Usually, spike emerge between 2 leaves.

My advice, if I may, would be to leave the plant for now since it`s

getting
establish. For the bugs, I would try an alcohol spray and keep the plant
away from the others.

Claude

"Mike" wrote in message
.. .
| Claude,
|
| Why would the plant be in an active growing period? Shouldn't this be
| the time when the plant stops growing new leaves and roots and
| produces a spike?
|
| The white bugs (which I've only seem a few) are teeny tiny bugs that
| only crawl. I saw them on and around the new roots and on the medium.
|
| The orchid came in a small clear plastic pot which was embedded in
| bark inside a clay pot. I repotted the orchid into the clay pot which
| is 6" I think. The plant had a lot of roots. I clipped away the dead,
| mushy roots. The remaining roots almost completely filled the pot.
|
| Can a phalaenopsis grow roots and spike at the same time?
|
| What does a flower spike emerging from the base of the plant look
| like? The roots emerged from nodes (bumps) on the base of the plant at
| the same level where the old spike was cut.
|
| Any help would be much appreciated!
|
| Mike
|
| On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:49:17 -0400, "Claude"
| wrote:
|
| Hello!
|
| Here are my guess...
|
| Your day time temperature seems little bit too low! Most phal like to
grow
| between 21C and 28C, although some like it hotter and some colder. But
the
| temperature drop at night seems too big. A difference of 10C between
daytime
| and nighttime would be better.
|
| The fact that the tip of your roots is getting reddish mean that your
plant
| is in active growing period. That part is called apical meristem.
|
| About your bugs, can you describe them a bit better! Do they fly? are
they
| on the medium?
| Did you check the leaves? roots?
|
| Claude
|
| "Mike" wrote in message
| .. .
| | Orchid friends,
| |
| | My Phalaenopsis is growing two new roots and no spike yet! The

plant
| | is extremely healthy and happy. It has 8 healthy leaves at the

moment.
| | I am fertilizing it with 10-60-10 (Schultz Bloom Plus) to push it

into
| | spike. I am even giving it the cold treatment at night for a few
| | hours. Day temps are about 22C/71F and night temps are about 8C/46F.
| | But there is no sign of a spike yet! I live in Southwestern Ontario,
| | so the plant should be producing a spike right about this time.
| |
| | The roots are pointy and about 0.5 cm in length. The tips are

reddish.
| | I'm assuming they are roots since they are growing down.
| |
| | I also see tiny white and black bugs walking around. Which
| | insecticides are safe to use with an orchid?
| |
| | What am I doing wrong?
| |
| | Mike
| |
| | Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
http://www.usenet.com

to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
My Phalaenopsis is growing ROOTS and not a SPIKE! Mike Orchids 0 27-10-2004 07:30 PM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
Phalaenopsis flower spike Jimmy Lloyd Orchids 2 21-07-2004 11:04 PM
phalaenopsis bud / spike question Tanya Orchids 2 22-09-2003 04:02 PM