Old 14-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Shell

"Can o' Crickets" that's great Around here I would have to put a large
red sign on it, "Do Not Eat"

Spring and summer should be no problem as we have a creek behind the fence
in back and tons of mosquitos and other little flying no see ums, got a good
shady corner that stays shady all day and I also plan to put up a shade tent
this coming spring. Now to keep the yard guys from bothering that corner.
They weed whacked one of my Dends that had fallen over instedad of simply
sitting back up. Also broke my glass storm door, never saw so much glass in
my life. I think it's time to find some new yard guys, but they do front
and back for $20, cheapest around.

Shell

"Myrmecodia" wrote in message
om...
"Shell" wrote in message

. com...
From what everyone is telling me I should have little trouble growing

these
along with my orchids and tillandsias and such. I should have no

trouble
keeping the humidity up and have plenty of light, my house doesn't get

too
warm, and as long as they don't get 100 feet long I shoult have planty

of
room. My only worry would be bugs for them to eat

Sounds good. Since you are in Houston, you might even be able to put
them outside in shade during the summer. If they get too long, you
can always prune the vines and root the cuttings. I like to wait
until there is a second basal rosette befoer pruning the main vine,
but the cuttings typically root without much trouble in the Spring or
Summer.

If you don't have an easy supply of home grown bugs, check your local
petshop for a product called "can o' crickets." I kid you not. As
the name suggests, it is a can of crickets that you can keep in the
fridge or freezer., just the right size for feeding Nepenthes.

Nick
--

---

Old 14-11-2004, 08:03 PM
Shell

Second interesting thought, if I prune them (always assuming they do well) I
could sell the smaller plants on eBay or have a plant sale now and then

Shell

"Myrmecodia" wrote in message
om...
"Shell" wrote in message

. com...
From what everyone is telling me I should have little trouble growing

Old 14-11-2004, 11:09 PM
Ray

I guess it depends on the particular species.

I have a N. alata hung up with the vandas, and it is taking over the GH with
its vines. Lots and lots of red pitchers, too.

..
"samaki" wrote in message

"Ray" wrote in message
I don't think a terrarium is a good idea,

Nepenthes need a LOT of light - along the lines of vandas. How are you
going to do that in a terrarium?

That`s really interesting. I`ve got two nepenthes and didn`t succed
pushing
them to produce pitchers. At first I thought it`s a matter of too low
humidity, but later it turned out that it was just too bright for them.
Now
they are standing in much more shady, but also more dry spot and the
pitchers are really nice.

greetings from Poland
Martha

Nepenthes ID [email protected] Orchids 3 12-05-2005 10:04 PM
Nepenthes Question Shell Gardening 2 13-11-2004 02:13 AM
know about nepenthes?? Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 3 12-03-2004 12:12 AM
nepenthes ampullaria Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 1 19-11-2003 12:43 AM
How to replant a nepenthes/pticher plant? Jo United Kingdom 5 27-05-2003 06:08 PM