Old 16-11-2004, 11:15 PM
Ray

Default Orchid Chat

For folks who don't have fast connections, there's another way to view the
chat so that you refresh it when you want, rather than it automatically
refreshing every few seconds.

The links for both are under the "Free Services" link.--

..

Old 17-11-2004, 04:12 AM
J Fortuna

Ray,

Excellent!

Though I would say that the non-automatic refresh version is for everyone,
no matter how fast or slow the connection. It actually gives one the choice
to refresh when one is ready for it. The 10-second refresh reminds me of all
those "features" of software that actually annoy more than help, such as MS
Word capitalizing the first word on a line after a hard-refresh or
changing -- to bullets automatically those features really annoy me. There
was a great cartoon about requirements for a swing, and what the user wanted
and what the developer planned and executed -- I'm too tired to find it now.
Anyway, the chat seems very functional now that it doesn't do the annoying
auto-refresh, and I look forward to trying it out some more in the future.

Best,
Joanna

.

Old 17-11-2004, 01:02 PM
Ray

My guess is that it's a matter of the connection speed and video card you
have.

For me, the auto refresh is almost instantaneous, with the audible click
being more prominent than the redraw.

..

Old 17-11-2004, 02:11 PM
J Fortuna

Ray,

I didn't time it. I have a DSL connection. It may have been almost
instantaneous. That's not the point though. The issue that I had with the
auto-refresh was not that it was too slow or that it happened not often
enough. The issue was that it happened too often too fast. What I found
annoying about the auto-refresh is that I would be trying to read something
that someone wrote that had scrolled below the bottom of the page, and the
auto-refresh would prevent me from reading it. Without the auto-refresh the
chat goes at whatever speed I want, with the auto-refresh the browser
controls the refresh and there is nothing I can do to stop it.

The second version of your chat is much better than the first.

Though I still find the automated Hi and Bye messages annoying, I would like
to be in control of what I "say", plus I have observed that people will log
in, the automated User1 says "I just logged on! Hi everybody!" appears, and
then User1 will actually type "Hi", which is redundant but a knee-jerk
reaction. But that's my only other problem with the technology of the chat,
now that the auto-refresh is no longer imposed.

The only remaining issues after that are the social ones. It's not fun
hanging out an empty chat room talking to oneself. :-)

Best,
Joanna

Orchid Chat...again Ray Orchids 1 20-11-2004 04:49 PM
Orchid Chat Ray Orchids 0 16-11-2004 11:15 PM
Orchid Chat Ray Orchids 14 15-11-2004 03:40 PM
invitation to the daily/nightly/whenever orchid chat Prem Subrahmanyam Orchids 0 11-02-2003 07:25 AM
invitation to the daily/nightly/whenever orchid chat Prem Subrahmanyam Gardening 0 11-02-2003 07:25 AM