Old 12-12-2004, 12:18 AM
henry wolf

Default hydroponics question

I have been growing my dendrobiums in expanded clay balls for quite some
time now with fair results. I am wondering if I should keep some kind of
repotting schedule, as I do in more conventional media, because there is
no breakdown in the clay. I do change the water occasionly of course.
Please give me your experiences.

Old 12-12-2004, 06:12 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 23:18:11 GMT, "henry wolf"
wrote:

I have been growing my dendrobiums in expanded clay balls for quite some
time now with fair results. I am wondering if I should keep some kind of
repotting schedule, as I do in more conventional media, because there is
no breakdown in the clay. I do change the water occasionly of course.
Please give me your experiences.

I don't grow Den. I have Paph, Phrag, and Cymbidium in
Semi-Hydro. Which is a clay pellets in a pot with 3 holes along
one side. (See www.firstrays.com for more details) We repot when
the plants (Phrag) climb up out of the pot, get too big for the
pot or the roots cause the pots to crack (cym).
SuE

Old 13-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Ray

Te primary reason to repot when using organic media is to rid yourself of
decomposing material, which packs easily and traps lots of water in the
"macropores" between the media particles, both of which combine to reduce
air flow to the root system, setting you up for root rot.

A decent ceramic medium will exhibit none of those symptoms, so the repot is
neither essential, nor advisable.

..
.. .

Old 13-12-2004, 10:24 PM

Over time some orchids tend to become rootbound. The spaces between
the pellets get filled up with roots so there is less room for air,
water, and access to the fertilizer by the growing root tips. If your
plant is starting to slow down or it seems like it is always dry a
repot and root trimming can perk it up again. When you pot-up enough
pellets usually fall out to open up the rootball but sometimes you have
to get the clippers out and hack away some of the roots and pellets.
I try to dig a cone in the middle of the rootball after snipping off
the bottom inch of roots and pellets.

Old 13-12-2004, 10:24 PM

henry wolf wrote:
I have been growing my dendrobiums in expanded clay balls for quite

some
time now with fair results. I am wondering if I should keep some kind

of
repotting schedule, as I do in more conventional media, because there

is
no breakdown in the clay. I do change the water occasionly of course.
Please give me your experiences.

Hydroponics set-up question Simon Gardening 0 02-03-2006 02:34 PM
hydroponics question henry wolf Orchids 0 12-12-2004 12:18 AM
Hydroponics for orchids? Kevin Orchids 2 20-03-2003 04:32 PM
FYI - hydroponics growers Jim Carter Edible Gardening 1 23-02-2003 10:15 PM
hydroponics Bill Shoemaker Edible Gardening 0 31-01-2003 12:30 AM