Old 30-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Drbob92031

Default aeroponics

Anyone interesrted?
I am a DIY from the word "go" so when I went to the aeroponics URL I was
fascinated. I look at it this way. If the medum that the orchids are set in (
bark etc is immersed (submerged) in water and some of the water is drawn off.
Then the nutrients of decomposition will be in the drawn off water. This in
turn can be sprayed (atomized) on to the bare roots of the suspended orchid
plant. This will be done by hand and any excess will drain off and return (by
gravity) to the water holding the submerged decompossing medium.This is the
basic concept. This seems too simple. What am I missing?
drBob...Delray Beach, FL.
Old 31-12-2004, 12:34 AM
Ray

You've got me confused, Dr. Bob.

What has decomposing medium got to do with it? The whole concept is
to have no medium whatsoever, but to have the roots periodically
misted with nutrient solution.

The problem with "common bath" culture is the propensity
(opportunity?) to share plant pathogens, as has been shown to happen
far too often with viruses.

..

Old 31-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Drbob92031

.
[...]

Hi Ray;

I knew I was overlooking something. To answer the "decomposing medium" I feel
that the decomposing medium will leach into the water the nutrients that the
roots of the plants usually obtain from the medium. Again I may be missing
something here 'cuz it seems too obvious to me.but your point about sharing
pathogens is well taken.

drbob

Old 31-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Ray

Bob,

Now I understand where you were coming from, thanks.

I believe that, for the most part, orchids get little-to-no nutrition
from the media they are grown in - osmunda being a notable exception.
Sure, there are likely to be some really minor elements that leach
out, but significant release is likely to require decomposition, and
when that starts happening, it's time to repot into fresh medium!

..

Aeroponics K Barrett Orchids 7 25-03-2006 11:01 PM
aeroponics Edmond Cormier Orchids 12 19-01-2005 01:30 AM