Old 26-12-2004, 11:24 PM
Edmond Cormier

Default aeroponics

In gro-op[ supply store we see more and more aeroponic systems. Has anybody
experimented growing orchids aeroponically?
Ed Cormier

Old 26-12-2004, 11:56 PM
Ray

If you grow vandas, you already do - more-or-less!

Aeroponics is just no medium, mechanical support for the plant, and
watering feeding by misting - just the way I grow vandas. I'll post a
photo at abpo.

..

Old 27-12-2004, 09:00 AM
keith ;-\)

Ray ,do you water and feed them everyday.I have just yesterday took vanda
coerulea from its basket & hung it with wire.I have a 5 litre mister i use
to water/feed vandaeceous,i have been using water/feed then when empty just
rain water then back to the water / feed and so on.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

.

Old 27-12-2004, 10:10 AM
Ray

Not every day, especially in winter, but close to it.

..
news:1104137957.7e65b8bb275b7c1876be6dd8bf66cd23@t eranews...

Old 27-12-2004, 02:46 PM
wendy7

I found this url which explains but it looks much like hydorponics to me?
http://www.biocontrols.com/aero6.html

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 27-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Ray

There are lots of ways to "do" hydroponics, with- and without inert
media.

Aeroponics is simply a term that indicates that the plant is suspended
in mid-air and its roots are misted with nutrients. Another, similar
methodology is the nutrient film technique (NFT) in which the plants
are suspended in mid-air, but there is a constant supply of nutrient
solution fed by a pump onto the suspension tray, and when it "leaks"
down, it forms a very thin film of solution on the roots. A further
variant is the "ebb and flow" method in which the nutrient solution is
pumped into the tray surrounding the root system on a periodic basis,
and then drains away.

If one adds an inert medium to provide the plant with mechanical
support, the three most common "mass planting" techniques involve
supplying the nutrient solution via either the "ebb and flow"
methodology or by periodic overhead sprays, or that in which a
constant, shallow depth of solution is recirculated through the
medium-holding tray and the capillary action of the medium does the
rest.

That last example is the closest thing to the technique I dubbed
"semi-hydroponics" - the single pot of inert medium with independent
reservoir that is manually watered - with the "semi-" added to
differentiate it from pumps, large trays or benches and a common
reservoir.

..

Old 29-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Drbob92031

I found this url which explains but it looks much like hydorponics to me?

.HI Wendy;

I visited the URL and yes, it is very similar to hydroponics except that there
appears to be more exacting control of the density (misting) and duration of
the water and fertilization cycle.
drbob...Delray Beach, FL.

Old 31-12-2004, 02:57 AM
NOOK

When I was a wild and crazy youngster going to Devry we used to grow
(tomatoes, yeh that's the ticket) in a closet with what you can now
find called a bubbler. Very simple to setup and maintain. Have never
tried it with orchids but have used it for vegatables on the deck a
few years ago.
Basic 5 gall bucket nutr. mix in bottom, airstone or good air pump in
mix to splash it up. Plant root ball without soil or mix in mesh pot
stuck in lid hanging above liquid. bubbles pop up and fert. roots,
plant growes like a beast. Just add liquid once a week and Change
nutr. mix every couple of weeks.

dude

Old 05-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Drbob92031

Sounds like I am reinventing the wheel.
Bob

Old 05-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Ray

Naaahhh. Just "discovering" stuff for the first time for you!

I've been growing orchids for over 30 years, and I still "discover"
stuff all the time, especially when discussing stuff with others
online.

..

Old 18-01-2005, 10:40 PM
QuickGrow South

"Edmond Cormier" wrote in message
In gro-op[ supply store we see more and more aeroponic systems. Has
anybody experimented growing orchids aeroponically?
Ed Cormier

I have grown many orchid aeroponiclly with outstanding sucess. I have had
Zygo's bloom 4 times in one year! The root growth is explosive and with
such a large and healthy root system the top growth is also unbelivable. I
have mostly use the "Pipe Dreams" system. Onc. integenerics will explode a 3
1/2" basket in about 6
Mo. my last Onc. integeneric to bloom had 250+ flowers at the same time( 2
bulbs 2 spikes /bulb). Of course that plant has no label! same plant had 98
flowers on its single spike on previous bloom. I grew a Neo. falcata from 1
large fan with 2 offsets into 8 fans with about 15 offsets in 18 Mo. The
biggest secret is to keep the water cool 65F.

Old 19-01-2005, 01:30 AM
Ray

I never would have guessed that "Quick Grow would be a "distributor of
indoor gardening products."

Unless you want to actually contribute, keep such thoughts to
yourself.

..
newsfgHd.35235$06.26742@clgrps12...

Aeroponics K Barrett Orchids 7 25-03-2006 11:01 PM
aeroponics Drbob92031 Orchids 3 31-12-2004 02:51 PM