Old 08-02-2005, 10:17 PM
profpam

"I've just started a new project management job on overseeing the construction of a $53 million shopping mall" Cheers and here's to your success Mick.

I have found that a mixture of orchid rock, diatomite, bark, perlite, and charcoal work for most species. Someone mentioned Brassavola nodos --"Brassavola nodosa is one of the few cattleyas actually worth collecting... And Laelia purpurata. All those non-pouched, so called 'orchids' tend to be a bit boring to me. *grin* (I'm pushing
somebody's buttons, I'm sure...)." These do well for me (on the edge of the desert and the foothills of the mountains) mounted on cork. They do well with some shade.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html

Mick Fournier wrote:

Rob,

I haven't reverse engineered the mix
www.aussie-gold.com

It looks like some of that brick peat moss mixed with diatomite chips the
size of a dime. I haven't really looked all that close at the total mix to
figure out the other ingredients... I've just started a new project
management job on overseeing the construction of a $53 million shopping mall
and the pay is so good I haven't been too concerned on what I pay for
compotting material lately. Maybe next year I will figure the mix out if I
get some free time.

I must say though... this mix is the best I have seen in years for new
seedlings fresh out of the flask. I am amazed at how good it works. I also
like it because the bugs don't want to settle on or in it.

Mick

PS, Cattleyas rule.

===================

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message

Mick Fournier wrote

whim for $18. It is primarily the Van-Rolen Horticultural diatomite

mix...

I tried it on seedlings coming right out of the flask and I want to tell

you

all this stuff is gold. Great drainage, Cattleyas (which is the only

orchid

really worth collecting incidentally) and Phals love it, you can't

overwater

this mix for some inherent reason in its natural make-up, it appears pH

So Mick, what is Van-Rolen Horticultural diatomite mix? Do you know the
recipe? I can't afford the Aussie stuff and they ain't sayin'.

Brassavola nodosa is one of the few cattleyas actually worth
collecting... And Laelia purpurata. All those non-pouched, so called
'orchids' tend to be a bit boring to me. *grin* (I'm pushing
somebody's buttons, I'm sure...).

Rob (paph-rat)

clip

Old 08-02-2005, 11:55 PM
Chris Savas

Does anyone know if diatomite chips are synonomus with diatomacious (spelling
?) earth? Somewhere in the very back of my memory, I learned that bugs
don't like habitating on diatomacious earth, again, because of the sharp
edges/points.

Good growing.
Chris

Old 09-02-2005, 03:38 AM
Ray

Very fresh diatomaceous earth - the skeletons of ocean diatoms- have lots of
really sharp spikes on them. That is what discourages snails and slugs.

Diatomite is a mud of freshwater diatoms that has been pumped and calcined
and crushed, and is in the form of large chunks. All the sharp spikes are
long gone, if they existed in those species in the first place.

Old 25-02-2005, 06:53 AM
Lady Blacksword

And anyone who has had a fish tank whose filter used diatomaceous earth
probably knows that breathing in even tiny amounts of the stuff will shred
your lungs like ground up glass.
Murri

Old 25-02-2005, 01:01 PM
jadel

Lady Blacksword wrote:
And anyone who has had a fish tank whose filter used diatomaceous

earth
probably knows that breathing in even tiny amounts of the stuff will

shred
your lungs like ground up glass.
Murri

And anyone familiar with diatomite knows the likelihood of breathing in
rocks is just about zero.

Diatomite is rinsed before use.

J. Del Col

Old 25-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Ray

I believe she was referring to the powdered diatomaceous earth, not
diatomite.

However, as diatomite is also essentially pure silica, and when dry is quite
dusty, especially after shipping, breathing the dust from that can be
damaging as well.

"jadel" wrote in message
ups.com...