Old 03-02-2005, 01:39 PM
jadel

Me Here wrote:
Mick Fournier wrote:
Al,

We all do enjoy a good pronoun once in a while.

Mick

Being a 'passive' participant of this NG for several dozens of month
already,it is quite heartening to know that quite a number of us here

are actually 'dormant' English teachers. :-)

Dormant? Speak for yourself.

J. Del Col

Old 03-02-2005, 02:14 PM
Me Here

jadel wrote:
Me Here wrote:

Mick Fournier wrote:

Al,

We all do enjoy a good pronoun once in a while.

Mick

Being a 'passive' participant of this NG for several dozens of month
already,it is quite heartening to know that quite a number of us here

are actually 'dormant' English teachers. :-)

Dormant? Speak for yourself.

J. Del Col

Are you saying..."for yourself" or "of yourself"?
Old 03-02-2005, 02:44 PM
jadel

Me Here wrote:
jadel wrote:
Me Here wrote:

Mick Fournier wrote:

Al,

We all do enjoy a good pronoun once in a while.

Mick

Being a 'passive' participant of this NG for several dozens of

month
already,it is quite heartening to know that quite a number of us

here

are actually 'dormant' English teachers. :-)

Dormant? Speak for yourself.

J. Del Col

Are you saying..."for yourself" or "of yourself"?

"For" The implication is that you do not speak on my behalf.

J. Del Col

Old 03-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Reka

jadel wrote:
Me Here wrote:

Mick Fournier wrote:

Al,

We all do enjoy a good pronoun once in a while.

Mick

Being a 'passive' participant of this NG for several dozens of month
already,it is quite heartening to know that quite a number of us here

are actually 'dormant' English teachers. :-)

Dormant? Speak for yourself.

J. Del Col

Ditto.

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html
Old 04-02-2005, 02:25 AM
Mick Fournier

Many years ago I couldn't spell orchid grower... now I are one.

Mick

Old 04-02-2005, 06:01 AM
Reka

Mick Fournier wrote:
Many years ago I couldn't spell orchid grower... now I are one.

Mick

Good for youse, Mick.

Old 04-02-2005, 12:37 PM
jadel

Mick Fournier wrote:
Many years ago I couldn't spell orchid grower... now I are one.

Mick

Ain't nobody can tell him nothin' 'bout raisin' no orchids!
(With apologies to Hattie McDaniel)

J. Del Col

Old 05-02-2005, 02:09 AM
Mick Fournier

Jadel,

Speaking of raisin orchids... I recently scored two nice flasks of the
hard-to-find Phalaenopsis violacea var coerulea (Krulls Navy Blue AM/AOS x
Crystelle HCC/AOS). I will be selling them on my website soon one plant per
flask for big, big bucks.

But at this orchid show in Miami last weekend I bought a bag of Aussie Gold
Orchid Mix from Irma Orchids in Miami 1-888-888-7108 or 1-305-936-0840 on a
whim for $18. It is primarily the Van-Rolen Horticultural diatomite mix...
I tried it on seedlings coming right out of the flask and I want to tell you
all this stuff is gold. Great drainage, Cattleyas (which is the only orchid
really worth collecting incidentally) and Phals love it, you can't overwater
this mix for some inherent reason in its natural make-up, it appears pH
friendly to everything, and it is real pretty in the compots. I potted up
two of these fat rare blue violaceas in it and within 30 minutes the
seedlings looked very happy (and you flask buyers know what I am talking
about as far as being happy). I have been looking for a one-stop seedling
mix for years that I could use straight out of the bag on everything, this
could be it. Tonight I am going to pop a jumbo flask of 100 Polyrrhiza
lindeni and just throw it in on top of this mix to see if this stuff will
work on ghost orchids.

This weekend I am going to try and buy another 10 bags. It does appear that
someone else can indeed tell me something about raisin' orchids.

Mick

Old 06-02-2005, 01:50 PM
Me Here

jadel wrote:
Me Here wrote:

jadel wrote:

Me Here wrote:

Mick Fournier wrote:

Al,

We all do enjoy a good pronoun once in a while.

Mick

Being a 'passive' participant of this NG for several dozens of

month

already,it is quite heartening to know that quite a number of us

here

are actually 'dormant' English teachers. :-)

Dormant? Speak for yourself.

J. Del Col

Are you saying..."for yourself" or "of yourself"?

"For" The implication is that you do not speak on my behalf.

J. Del Col

I see, I see! That is why it is a very good idea to have a few English
teacher here telling us how to write in proper English (once every
little while) lest we misunderstood each other; because if we are, our
orchids would not be happy either. :-)
Old 06-02-2005, 01:53 PM
Me Here

Me Here wrote:

jadel wrote:

Me Here wrote:

jadel wrote:

Me Here wrote:

Mick Fournier wrote:

Al,

We all do enjoy a good pronoun once in a while.

Mick

Being a 'passive' participant of this NG for several dozens of

month

already,it is quite heartening to know that quite a number of us

here

are actually 'dormant' English teachers. :-)

Dormant? Speak for yourself.

J. Del Col

Are you saying..."for yourself" or "of yourself"?

"For" The implication is that you do not speak on my behalf.

J. Del Col

I see, I see! That is why it is a very good idea to have a few English
teacher here telling us how to write in proper English (once every
little while) lest we misunderstood each other; because if we are, our
orchids would not be happy either. :-)

See what I mean? It should read "... a few English teachers..."

Old 06-02-2005, 02:54 PM
jadel

Mick Fournier wrote:
Jadel,

But at this orchid show in Miami last weekend I bought a bag of

Aussie Gold
Orchid Mix from Irma Orchids in Miami 1-888-888-7108 or

1-305-936-0840 on a
whim for $18. It is primarily the Van-Rolen Horticultural diatomite

mix...

I started using diatomite, mostly straight but occasionally mixed with
bark,about a year ago. All the orchids I've repotted in it are doing
well, and I regret I didn't switch to it earlier.

J. Del Col

Old 07-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Rob Halgren

Mick Fournier wrote
whim for $18. It is primarily the Van-Rolen Horticultural diatomite mix...
I tried it on seedlings coming right out of the flask and I want to tell you
all this stuff is gold. Great drainage, Cattleyas (which is the only orchid
really worth collecting incidentally) and Phals love it, you can't overwater
this mix for some inherent reason in its natural make-up, it appears pH

So Mick, what is Van-Rolen Horticultural diatomite mix? Do you know the
recipe? I can't afford the Aussie stuff and they ain't sayin'.

Brassavola nodosa is one of the few cattleyas actually worth
collecting... And Laelia purpurata. All those non-pouched, so called
'orchids' tend to be a bit boring to me. *grin* (I'm pushing
somebody's buttons, I'm sure...).

Rob (paph-rat)

2a) See rule 1
orchids, obtain more credit

LittlefrogFarm - Growing the plants Rob likes. )

Old 08-02-2005, 12:15 AM
Mick Fournier

Rob,

I haven't reverse engineered the mix
www.aussie-gold.com

It looks like some of that brick peat moss mixed with diatomite chips the
size of a dime. I haven't really looked all that close at the total mix to
figure out the other ingredients... I've just started a new project
management job on overseeing the construction of a $53 million shopping mall
and the pay is so good I haven't been too concerned on what I pay for
compotting material lately. Maybe next year I will figure the mix out if I
get some free time.

I must say though... this mix is the best I have seen in years for new
seedlings fresh out of the flask. I am amazed at how good it works. I also
like it because the bugs don't want to settle on or in it.

Mick

PS, Cattleyas rule.

===================

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message
Mick Fournier wrote
[...]

clip

Old 08-02-2005, 05:36 PM
jadel

Mick Fournier wrote:
Rob,

I haven't reverse engineered the mix
www.aussie-gold.com

It looks like some of that brick peat moss mixed with diatomite chips

the
size of a dime. I haven't really looked all that close at the total

mix to
figure out the other ingredients... Mick

According to the Aussie-Gold website, it is made of diatomite, coir
fiber, horticultural charcoal and perlite, with some added "secret
ingredients" which retain moisture and provide "micro-nutrients."

J. Del Col

Old 08-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Rob Halgren

jadel wrote:

According to the Aussie-Gold website, it is made of diatomite, coir
fiber, horticultural charcoal and perlite, with some added "secret
ingredients" which retain moisture and provide "micro-nutrients."

J. Del Col

Hmm... I have that technology too. I can re-build it. Stronger,
faster than before. For only.... Six million dollars! *grin*

Of course 4 million of that will be the shipping costs.

Rob