Old 04-02-2005, 05:10 PM
Nancy G.

Default Transplanting time again

Actually started transplanting about two weeks ago. Have now finished
the cat hybrids that I started repotting last year. Moved them out or
4" clay with bark mix, into 6" clear plastic with CHC. When I soaked
and rinsed the CHC, that there was still a lot of brown stain (even
after 3 rinses and soaks), does this contain tannin or anything I
should be alarmed about? The orchids I repotted last year, didn't seem
to take to the mix until after I moved them outside for a while and
everything was flushed thoroughly by the rain.

I will wait for the Phaius tankerville and my cymbidiums to finish
blooming before I tackle them. They will also require dividing and
more large pots. Am having a hard time waiting as the new growths are
starting and will be about two months old by the time I can repot
without sacrificing the blooms.

No big deal, but some of the plants divided and now I have duplicates
of most of the plants. It was to the point that if they didn't have
strong potential for new growth, I didn't even try to save back bulbs.
Am struggling with where to put them (for now) and what to do with them
in the future. Even the tolumnia prionochilum is starting three spikes
and making two keikis on the old. I bet I've given 6 or 8 in last
year, and have that many more trying to establish to mounts and pots.

The Den loddigessii is still in "rest mode" for another month. I
isolated it from the other plants in a cooler brighter part of the
house, where I wouldn't forget not to or be tempted to water.
Hopefully the rest will incite it to bloom this year.

Found a group of orchid enthusiasts in the area. The meetings rotate
between members homes. So I may have an opportunity to get my fix on
orchid information. We are linking up for a field trip to the Missouri
Botanical Garden Orchid Show this weekend, and there is talk about goig
tothe School of the Ozarks grenhouse in the future.

Am having fun this season, and mostly wanted to tell about my progress.
Good luck to all of you.

Nancy

Old 04-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Rob Halgren

Nancy G. wrote:
Actually started transplanting about two weeks ago. Have now finished
the cat hybrids that I started repotting last year. Moved them out or
4" clay with bark mix, into 6" clear plastic with CHC. When I soaked
and rinsed the CHC, that there was still a lot of brown stain (even
after 3 rinses and soaks), does this contain tannin or anything I
should be alarmed about? The orchids I repotted last year, didn't seem
to take to the mix until after I moved them outside for a while and
everything was flushed thoroughly by the rain.

Oh good, now you can come over and help me... That offer is good for
anybody. *grin* As an aside, actually, helping people repot is an
excellent way to get free plants.

I wouldn't worry about the brown coloration in the rinse water. If you
have rinsed the coco three times, it is probably safe. Unless you are
rinsing it with salt softened water. That is not going to help things.
Also, you need to use a fair amount of water, if you didn't use enough
you may have to wash a fourth time.

A useful tool is a conductivity meter. I have one that I bought from
the local hydroponics store that is self contained and 'self
calibrating' (no idea how _that_ is supposed to work). But it is close
enough. It is called the "Truncheon". No, really... Anyway, I know my
coco is washed enough when I stick the Truncheon into the rinse water
and it is at a low conductivity. I like to get it low enough that it
doesn't even register on the meter - which you can do if you use RO
water as the final rinse. If you don't have rain water or RO water, you
can compare the conductivity of whatever water you are using to the
rinse water. They should be the same or very close. At that point you
know you've washed it as much as you can.

Rob

2a) See rule 1
orchids, obtain more credit

Littlefrog Farm - Growing the plants Rob likes. )

Old 05-02-2005, 06:45 AM
Reka

Rob Halgren wrote:
Nancy G. wrote:

Actually started transplanting about two weeks ago. Have now finished
the cat hybrids that I started repotting last year. Moved them out or
4" clay with bark mix, into 6" clear plastic with CHC. When I soaked
and rinsed the CHC, that there was still a lot of brown stain (even
after 3 rinses and soaks), does this contain tannin or anything I
should be alarmed about? The orchids I repotted last year, didn't seem
to take to the mix until after I moved them outside for a while and
everything was flushed thoroughly by the rain.

Oh good, now you can come over and help me... That offer is good
for anybody. *grin* As an aside, actually, helping people repot is an
excellent way to get free plants.

Groan! Rob, you and Al are both worse than the army - always trying
to recruit. Maybe you don't pay enough plants to get good workers?! ;-)
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html
Old 05-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Nancy G.

Reka wrote:
Rob Halgren wrote:
Nancy G. wrote:

Oh good, now you can come over and help me... That offer is

good
for anybody. *grin* As an aside, actually, helping people repot

is an
excellent way to get free plants.

Groan! Rob, you and Al are both worse than the army - always

trying
to recruit. Maybe you don't pay enough plants to get good workers?!

;-)
--
Reka

Reka, that is so funny. I spent 20 years in the army and retired in
2002. Army recruiters get replaced if they can't get their quota of
volunteers. Orchid growers just go to pot.

Nancy