Old 07-02-2005, 10:27 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Angrcm. Veitchii.....

Hi, Gang,

Yesterday I got an advance birthday present in the form of a mature
Angraecum Veitchii (Wheeee!). It is 30 inches tall, excluding the higher
spikes. 17 blooms. It was in a display that Odom's installed, and won best
Vandaceous by a commercial grower. When I complimented Rob, the Odom's guy
who did the display, he said "Wanna buy it?" Oh, yeah, oh, yeah!

Now, here's the question. I believe that Veitchii is a primary hybrid of
sesquipedale and eburneum. I got a real argument from a small commercial
grower, who insists that it is a species in its own right. Subsequent
research bears out my contention. But, could I be wrong about this? Just
need some confirmation of what I truly believe is correct.

TIA

Diana

Old 07-02-2005, 11:13 PM
Paul Simon

It's a hybrid -- he's confused.

Paul

ps congratulations! It's a nice one.

k.net...

Old 08-02-2005, 01:40 AM
ariet

Hi Diana- greetings from the Wide World of Google. YES- AOL IS going
to discontinue the newgroups. I saw the proclamation when I went to
the Newsgroup site on AOL. Nothing definite, just the same old stuff
they have been saying right along. And to think I didn't believe it
really was AOL! SO- older and wiser...
Congrats on the Angraecum....I am sure you are right, about it being a
hybrid. May it be vigorous!
Elinor

Old 08-02-2005, 05:46 AM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 22:27:59 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Hi, Gang,

Yesterday I got an advance birthday present in the form of a mature
Angraecum Veitchii (Wheeee!). It is 30 inches tall, excluding the higher
spikes. 17 blooms. It was in a display that Odom's installed, and won best
Vandaceous by a commercial grower. When I complimented Rob, the Odom's guy
who did the display, he said "Wanna buy it?" Oh, yeah, oh, yeah!

Now, here's the question. I believe that Veitchii is a primary hybrid of
sesquipedale and eburneum. I got a real argument from a small commercial
grower, who insists that it is a species in its own right. Subsequent
research bears out my contention. But, could I be wrong about this? Just
need some confirmation of what I truly believe is correct.

TIA

Diana

Angraecum Veitchii registered by Veitch in 1899! Maybe that is
why he thinks it is not a hybrid.. it is too old for him to wrap
his head around.

You have parent 1 & 2 backwards - but as you and I know the
record book would name it the same if it were made backward.
Wildcatt says it is registered as Angraecum eburneum x Angraecum
sesquipedale. I say it is a BEAUTIFUL specimen.

Good Blooming. Louise huh?

SuE
Old 08-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks, everyone, for the info. Eleanor, I'm not sure that the AOL info is
correct; check further. There have been rumors....

Angraecum Veitchii registered by Veitch in 1899! Maybe that is
why he thinks it is not a hybrid.. it is too old for him to wrap
his head around.

Actually, Sue, it's a gal, and she has been trashing everything in sight
lately. We can't figure out what her problem is; initially, we were angered
by the wrong information and slams against our society, but now I wonder if
there is something really wrong there. Sad.

You have parent 1 & 2 backwards - but as you and I know the
record book would name it the same if it were made backward.
Wildcatt says it is registered as Angraecum eburneum x Angraecum
sesquipedale. I say it is a BEAUTIFUL specimen.

Thanks for that! Now, if I could just get my huge sesquipedale to bloom....
It's larger than this Veitchii, has more pups, is as healthy as a horse. No
flowers. I refuse to consign it to the salad shredder. It *will* bloom!

Good Blooming. Louise huh?

I think named after Louise Odom.

Diana

Angcm. Veitchii Wendy7 Orchid Photos 0 18-02-2008 01:27 AM
Epiphronitis Veitchii Niek Hanckmann Orchid Photos 0 19-06-2007 06:22 PM
My tradeoff - Angcm Veitchii Wendy7 Orchid Photos 2 19-03-2007 05:47 PM
Gardenia Veitchii Paulo Gardening 1 17-05-2005 06:42 PM