Old 20-02-2005, 10:48 PM
OrchidKitty

Default Showing orchids in S/H in winter--results

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post on this issue. I took 4
plants to the show, pretty much just to support the society's effort,
and to my complete shock, two plants got first-place ribbons and one
plant got a third-place ribbon. (I didn't think that I stood a chance
of getting any ribbons at all because there were so many wonderful
plants on display from different societies.) But the best news of all
is that at the end of the show, the plants don't look any worse for the
wear.

I double-bucketed two S/H plants and put tape over another's drain
holes because it is tall and I wanted it to fit in the transporter box
that I made. Those three plants were still hydrated at the end of the
show. (The fourth plant was in bark because it won't stop blooming long
enough to put in S/H. It was the one that didn't win a ribbon....)

If I ever finish my Web site, I will have pix of orchids and kitties.

Old 20-02-2005, 11:51 PM
Ray

Fantastic!

Photos on a.b.p.o, please.

ups.com...

Old 21-02-2005, 01:41 PM
OrchidKitty

I would if I could figure out how to access the site.

Old 21-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Wendy

You would subscribe just like you did to this news group.
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Also some ISP's don't store binary files?
Remove peterpan for email reply

Cheers Wendy

Old 21-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Bill Landers

Hi All-
I am somewhat embarassed to admit not knowing what this means, but what the
heck does S/H stand for?!?
Bill Landers

Old 21-02-2005, 04:24 PM
J Fortuna

Bill,
S/H is semi-hydroponics. To learn more about this go to
http://www.firstrays.com/semi-hydro.htm. Ray, one of the regulars on rgo, is
the semi-hydro man.
Best,
Joanna

Old 22-02-2005, 12:12 PM
OrchidKitty

I've discovered that Google groups doesn't store binary files, so
that's why I can't access it. Perhaps it's time to move on to another
provider.

Old 22-02-2005, 06:00 PM
Steve

OrchidKitty wrote:
I've discovered that Google groups doesn't store binary files, so
that's why I can't access it. Perhaps it's time to move on to another
provider.

Reading newsgroups by way of Google is definitely doing it the hard way.
Are you using Comcast as your ISP as your e-mail address would indicate?
If so, maybe another comcast user can let us know if comcast offers both
orchid newsgroups. We can get you using a news reader instead of going
to Google.

Steve
Old 22-02-2005, 09:42 PM
OrchidKitty

Yes, Comcast is my ISP. Because of business-related emails, I probably
shouldn't ditch Comcast, but if there is another way to access
newsgroups, I'd LOVE to know about it and how to set it up.

Old 22-02-2005, 10:37 PM
Ray

I don't know about your branch of Comcast, but mine here in PA offers the
use of Giganews for free.

Contact your support folks for setup instructions.

oups.com...

Old 23-02-2005, 12:59 AM
Steve

OrchidKitty wrote:
Yes, Comcast is my ISP. Because of business-related emails, I probably
shouldn't ditch Comcast, but if there is another way to access
newsgroups, I'd LOVE to know about it and how to set it up.

After reading Ray's reply, I did a little looking around on the web.
I'll copy below something that I found. I happen to use Netscape for my
mail (and newsgroups) but I would assume you do not.
If you use outlook express for your e-mail, you can use that to read
newsgroups. Perhaps someone here who uses outlook express can get you
started. (confirm that it is what you use)
It looks like Comcast works just like Adelphia (my ISP) and does go
through Giganews. That's good news for you! You will love it once you
get going.

Steve

Quote:

After fiddling around with Google Groups interface, which is not too
convenient if one decides to read the latest posts one by one, I finally
decided to figure out where Comcast hides its NNTP news server.
Apparently, they outsource the news to GigaNews and here’s their
Comcast-specific page.

NNTP server for Comcast: news.comcast.giganews.com
Username for Comcast newsgroups:
Password for Comcast newsgroups: the same as password for your
@comcast.net account when you signed up with them
Old 23-02-2005, 01:30 AM
Ray

Steve,

In my case, the Giganews account has a different password than does the
Comcast account...

"Steve" wrote in message
news

Old 24-02-2005, 11:06 PM
OrchidKitty

My email is with Eudora and I have a Mac, so there are some support
issues. I'm going to ask DH to help me this weekend. Compared to
figuring out connectivity, growing orchids is child's play.

Showing orchids in S/H in winter OrchidKitty Orchids 5 12-02-2005 03:45 PM
Liner showing problem on large boulders John Arruda Ponds (alternative) 5 31-07-2003 05:22 AM
Is your Regal Lily showing yet? Steve Harris United Kingdom 12 04-05-2003 03:32 PM
Winter Kill Results. Theo Asir Roses 0 23-04-2003 03:44 PM
Anemone blanda showing? Hussein M. United Kingdom 8 16-04-2003 01:20 AM