Old 23-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Theo Asir

Default Winter Kill Results.

I think its time to tabulate my
winter Kill experience for the benefit
of the cold garden grower.

As a primer, this winter it got down to -13F
and stayed there several times. I recorded
a -18F in my back yard which has a cooler micro climate.

I do not protect my roses in any way
except for the mulch that is always present
on the soil. Most are own root if grafted I will
note that.

Most exposed.

Prairie Princess - No kill.
Jacques Cartier(M Bochella) - No kill.
Clair Rose - No kill.
Salet - No kill.
Heritage - No kill
AbrahamDarby (3' high) - No kill.
Felicia - No kill.
Garten Direktor Otto Linne - No kill
(6" planted in October now 12")
Aloha (4' plant) - No kill
New Dawn(13') - No kill
Alba Meidiland - No kill
Bubble bath (6") - 3" of kill recovering nicely
pom pom de paris - Dead
Pom Pom Blanch Parfait - No Kill
Gloire Lyonnaise - 6" of kill recovering nicely.
Winchester Cathedral - No kill
Excellence Von Schubert - No Kill
Fairy - No kill of course.
Kaiserin Auguste Viktoria - No kill Really surprised me.
America (grafted)(Back yard) - No Kill again surprise surprise
Veterans honor(grafted backyard) - Minimal recovering nicely.
Eden rose - No kill
John Clair - No kill (tough tough
rose)
forgot to
water for 3 weeks in summer
still
survived.
Rosemary rose - Minimal kill

More protected still -13F

Candelabra(grafted) - No kill.
Pilgrim - No kill
St Patrick (1 grafted 1 own root) - Substantial kill but already back to
3'.
Guinevere(Grafted) - No kill
Lavender Lassie - No kill (first to bloom)
Ambridge rose - No kill
Compassion - 6" of kill slow to recover
Stunning. This
seemed such a hardy rose.
Show Biz(grafted) - Dead. Shed no tears.
Iceberg(5' plant) - Minimal kill growing nicely.
Darlows Enigma - No kill finally shed some
leaves.
Graham Thomas - No kill but slow to restart.
Pink Gruss An Aaachen(Mosaic) - No kill slow growth.
Louis Odier(8' plant from 6") - No kill racing with LL to bloom.
Alexander Mackenzie 6' - No kill getiing ready to bloom
Sunsprite - No kill slow to get
going.
Lace Cascade (grafted) - No kill but shovel pruned.
Everblooming Cecile B.(11') - some kill but recovering nicely

All the others were in extremely protected locations so
the results are probably tainted. There also several
I can't remember right now.

My 61 potted roses are still under evaluation.
As far as I can see 6 have died and 3 have substantial damage.
About par for me. But I will report on that later.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Winter Kill spruce United Kingdom 0 03-05-2009 10:55 AM
new garden spot - cover w/ plastic to kill weeds over winter? sarab Gardening 9 21-09-2005 10:42 PM
(OT) Did this late winter kill the trees here? starman Gardening 3 02-05-2005 12:15 AM
Showing orchids in S/H in winter--results OrchidKitty Orchids 12 24-02-2005 11:06 PM
Winter Kill report--Montreal GD ZK Roses 4 16-06-2003 10:32 PM