Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Maggie's Mom

Default orchids and artificial lighting?

Hi all. I've been a lurker for quite some time, but since I did not have
anything to contribute, or to ask about, I just read your posts.

Now I do have a question: can orchids live and bloom in artificial light? If
yes, what would be the best source?

We are about to move, and the future house does not have a window with a
morning to noon sun. Right now I have two orchid plants, one rescue and the
other one a gift. The rescue is white phal, and the gift - I really have no
idea what it is, except that it has flattened bulbs from which it sprouts
narrowish leaves. This did not bloom yet, so I cannot describe the color of
the flower. I heard it was supposed to be yellow, possibly with orange/red
spots.

Anyway, the two orchids are in the window where they get morning to noon
sun, and they are very happy. After we move, I will have to place them by a
window, but - alas! - no window receives morning sun, and afternoon sun is
much too hot.

Greenhouse is out of a question (moneywise).

I am open to any ideas and suggestions...