Old 30-03-2005, 11:08 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Neofinetia falcata

All,

I know, I know, there have been loads of threads on this topic. But I picked
up a little beauty at our last show for what I thought was a very, very fair
price, and my research has turned up a bunch of inconsistencies.

The plant is presently potted in a small bark mix. My inclination is to
mount it and hang it under a big Vanda, where it will be watered
automatically every morning. Good idea, or bad?

This plant lists as intermediate to warm. Our weather here in south FL fits
that bill for most of the year, and it will get the recommended cooling off
in the winter months. Can it take our summers? Temps can go as high as 90,
though not much more for very long. Afternoon rains keep things comfortable,
and there is usually a nice breeze. (Contrary to what most folks think,
summers here are pretty nice. It gets much worse up north, with that
miserable humidity and no breeze.)

Any dry rest needed, other than normal reduction of fertilizer in the cooler
months? All info much appreciated!

Diana

"The Roof is Done! The Roof is Done!" Sigh. On to the next project.......

Old 31-03-2005, 06:52 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:08:08 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

[...]

Eric's OrchidMania http://www.orchids.org/ has a page on
Neofinetia that describes it's growth well. In Japan they pot
them on what appears as a inverted pot in a pot. I think it is a
mound of moss. But it is exposed above the pot. I would think
you could do it in a small basket or open pot. I have mine in
the shady section of the Ascocenda ranks. They take a fair
amount of light just not hot direct sun.
Should do well in you collection. I would treat the potting as
if it were another ascda or vanda going into a basket. Just
small and with finer roots. It is no shrimp on growing long
roots for its size.
SuE
Old 31-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks, Sue. You pretty much described what I intended to do with it, so I
am more comfortable now.

Diana