Old 17-04-2005, 08:36 PM
jadel

K Barrett wrote:
"jadel" wrote in message
oups.com...

dusty wrote:
Is non-absorbent cotton banned in the US like aluminum powder,

cigarette
lighters, box cutters, assorted effective insecticides, and

alternative
fueled cars? (A G.W. Bush ban) Or Mr. Oil to his friends.

(Ethanol
Fuel
$1.65 gal or less)

Are you talking about polyester floss? It is available at any

fabric
or craft store. It is used to stuff plush toys, cushions, etc. It
certainly isn't sterile.

BTW, powdered aluminum requires special (i.e expensive) hazmat
shipping. It is a serious fire and explosion hazard; all powdered
metals are.

Alternative fueled cars aren't banned either. Where you get your
information?

J. Del Col

Polyester floss, may be known as Kapok, used in making pillows and

quilts.
Usually comes in a pillow sized bag (IIRC)

Polyester and kapok are entirely different things.

Kapok is the product of a tree. Polyester is synthetic. They are not
interchangeable.

J. Del Col

Old 17-04-2005, 08:44 PM
dusty

"jadel" wrote in
oups.com:

Where you get your
information?

polyester floss melts when autoclaved.

powdered aluminum used to be an over the counter item till 911. still is in
other countries.
when mixed with cement it creates cellular concrete light weight yet
strong.
A special federal license is now required to buy, sell or even to have it.

Alternative fueled cars aren't banned either. Where I get my
information? Well you don't live in California do you or watch PBS. The
California law makers there wanted to make alternative fueled cars the rule
rather than the exception. G.W. Bush's good old boys stepped in and stopped
them cold.
Also you probably don't know that the big three auto makers stopped their
electric vehicles cold as soon as G.W. Bush got into office either. The
test drivers loved them but couldn't get the big 3 to sell them, instead
they where scraped.
Who makes all the hybrid vehicles today?
Who has had propane vehicles on the roads of Japan for the last 20 years?
Who makes 100% of the electric powered vehicles on the roads in Japan?
How many American counterparts are being sold right now?
Go down to your local hybrid vehicle dealership and ask what the wait time
is on getting one.

Old 17-04-2005, 08:52 PM
dusty

"Math1" wrote in news:GYr8e.18411$Xm3.11813@trndny01:

polyester fiber

Thanks I'll look there but the polyester fiber content causes some concern
as polyester is plastic and most plastics have a low melting point.
Old 18-04-2005, 03:34 AM
K Barrett

Well it always felt phoney when I used to quilt...

"jadel" wrote in message
oups.com...

K Barrett wrote:
"jadel" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 18-04-2005, 12:43 PM
jadel

dusty wrote:
"jadel" wrote in
oups.com:

Where you get your
information?

polyester floss melts when autoclaved.

powdered aluminum used to be an over the counter item till 911. still

is in
other countries.
when mixed with cement it creates cellular concrete light weight yet
strong.
A special federal license is now required to buy, sell or even to

have it.

Probably because it is also a component in explosives and rocket fuels.
A synthetic rubber base+perchlorates+powdered Al = rocket fuel.

A little bit of powdered Al suspended in air+ a spark or a match, and,
voila, a fuel/air explosive that could easily take down an airplane.

Alternative fueled cars aren't banned either. Where I get my
information? Well you don't live in California do you or watch PBS.

The
California law makers there wanted to make alternative fueled cars

the rule
rather than the exception. G.W. Bush's good old boys stepped in and

stopped
them cold.

So California is the entire country? There's no "ban" on them.

Also you probably don't know that the big three auto makers stopped

their
electric vehicles cold as soon as G.W. Bush got into office either.

The
test drivers loved them but couldn't get the big 3 to sell them,

instead
they where scraped.
Who makes all the hybrid vehicles today?

The Japanese have had many innovations. Detroit is a dinosaur, but
they'll eventually start producing them. They certainly are "banned."

Who has had propane vehicles on the roads of Japan for the last 20

years?

And propane or natural gas fueled vechicles, made in the USA are on the
road all over the US, even here in WV. Not great numbers of them, no,
but they aren't "banned," either.

Who makes 100% of the electric powered vehicles on the roads in Japan?
How many American counterparts are being sold right now?

How many will be on the market in five years? If they sell, they will
be built.

Go down to your local hybrid vehicle dealership and ask what the wait

time
is on getting one.

Who cares? In a few years they'll be plentiful. Supply and demand.

J. Del Col

Old 18-04-2005, 12:50 PM
jadel

dusty wrote:
"jadel" wrote in
oups.com:

Where you get your
information?

polyester floss melts when autoclaved.

powdered aluminum used to be an over the counter item till 911. still

is in
other countries.
when mixed with cement it creates cellular concrete light weight yet
strong.
A special federal license is now required to buy, sell or even to

have it.

I just checked Google. Powdered Al is available over the internet with
no mention at all about special licenses. What specific special
license is needed, if any? Cite your source.

It is classifed as a Hazmat, not only here but in the EU as well.

J. Del Col

Old 18-04-2005, 01:14 PM
jadel

dusty wrote:

I've done Google searches in several different ways and only found,
absorbent cotton, PDF files, dead links, requests for, and uses of

non-
absorbent cotton. I did find some over seas sources but none returned

my
emails. I've tried some scientific equipment suppliers like Fisher
scientific, Thomas scientific, VWR, and even tried local pharmacies.

It's
here that I found that they stopped carrying it a couple of years

ago.

Try www.fungi.com. They sell NA cotton in one pound rolls for $26.95.
They are in California, not overseas.

They cater to folks interested in mushroom culture.

BTW, your local auto body shop probably uses powdered Al for custom
paint jobs. Ask them if they've got a special federal permit.

J. Del Col

J. Del Col

Old 18-04-2005, 06:56 PM
dusty

www.fungi.com.

Thanks for the link.

On the powdered Al prehaps I was misinformed by local suppliers as over a
year ago I was going to use it to make a foundation of cellular concrete.
It causes the concrete to foam up as it sets. I used concrete block filled
with foam instead with aditional foam sheeting on the dirt side.
Old 18-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Aaron Hicks

There is no need to vent mother flasks. All mother flask sowing I
do in baby food jars is un-vented. Cotton plugs will dry out quickly, and
dramatically increase the chances of contamination.

If you insist on using tortuous plug seals, then regular polyester
"cotton" balls will work fine. They don't melt in the autoclave (121-123
C). It takes a lot more than that to melt polyester.

You may also use 3M "Active Strips" round band-aids. They survive
repeated autoclaving, and stick for at least 5 years.

As for powdered aluminum- check out skylighter.com. And, heck-
alumimum is the fuel in "Tannerite," which (until the ATF finally moves)
can be shipped as unmixed components without special hazmat fees. I mean,
really.

The email address in the header isn't valid. Send no mail there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Old 18-04-2005, 09:12 PM
dusty

Thanks for the tip I shall try the mother flask idea as well as the 3M
"Active Strips" round band-aids.
As for the powdered aluminum my use for it has fallen by the wayside I was
going to use it to make cellular concrete (the alauminum causes the
concrete to foam up as it hardens according to a PBS show) but I used
concrete blocks stuffed with foam insulation with 2 inchs of blue foam on
the dirt side. It worked as I heated a zone 5, 8X10 homemade greenhouse
with a 1500 WATT oil filled heater till I went to hot water heat.

Thanks again
Grow well and bloom magnificently
dusty

Old 18-04-2005, 10:22 PM
Ray

As the guy who makes the "synthetic rubber" used in solid rocket fuels (OK,
I plan the inventory and schedule the production for the only producer in
the US), I can guarantee that there is no domestic control over its sale.
The chemical industry's "Responsible Care" initiative is another matter, and
although voluntary, it still makes it hard to get, which is true - to some
extent - with the other components as well.

Your roller blade or skate board wheels are made from the same basic raw
material, by the way.

"jadel" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 19-04-2005, 12:22 PM
jadel

Ray wrote:
As the guy who makes the "synthetic rubber" used in solid rocket

fuels (OK,
I plan the inventory and schedule the production for the only

producer in
the US), ...

So now it's Ray--Almost a Rocket Scientist-- Barkalow? (insert
annoying emoticon here).

J. Del col

Old 19-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Ray

Nope, no "rocket scientist" or even close. OK, I am a scientist and
engineer, but materials, not rockets.

I agree on the emoticons.

"jadel" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 19-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 08:32:54 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

I agree on the emoticons.

But I bet your thought is ALL are annoying.
SuE
Old 19-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Ray

Oh... I did rockets, too, as a kid... The Estes model types.

Yes, Sue, I think all emoticons are infantile. Not that that has always
stopped me from using them....

"Ray" wrote in message
Nope, no "rocket scientist" or even close. OK, I am a scientist and
engineer, but materials, not rockets.

I agree on the emoticons.

"jadel" wrote in message
ups.com...