Old 16-04-2005, 11:20 AM
dusty

Default non-absorbent cotton source

Is non-absorbent cotton banned in the US like aluminum powder, cigarette
lighters, box cutters, assorted effective insecticides, and alternative
fueled cars? (A G.W. Bush ban) Or Mr. Oil to his friends. (Ethanol Fuel
$1.65 gal or less)

I've done Google searches in several different ways and only found,
absorbent cotton, PDF files, dead links, requests for, and uses of non-
absorbent cotton. I did find some over seas sources but none returned my
emails. I've tried some scientific equipment suppliers like Fisher
scientific, Thomas scientific, VWR, and even tried local pharmacies. It's
here that I found that they stopped carrying it a couple of years ago.

I was planning to try flasking some orchid seed in a few baby food jars but
it looks like I've hit a brick wall. Oh well looks like I'll be building
that Mother Earth news small parts holder after all.

Grow well and bloom magnificently
Dusty

Old 16-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 19:20:57 GMT, dusty wrote:

"Ray" wrote in news:27-dnUPN5LCnlfzfRVn-
:

What do you need non-absorbent cotton for?

The instructions that I have on using baby food jars states to poke a hole
in the center of top and stuff tightly with non-absorbent cotton. This is
done before they are sterilized. It's supposed to filter out the bad stuff
and alow the jar to breathe. Since it's non-absorbent it's not supposed to
wick any mosture out of the jar also. I also have a really old AOS book
that uses Erlenmeyer Flasks and stoppers them with non-absorbent cotton.
I have read where one person used bandaide spots for this but I don't think
a bandaide would survive heat sterilization.
I thought of trying synthetic fibers but they might melt and it may
take a lot of tests to find one that doesnt.

Dusty - the band aid is sterile why can't you pop it on as soon
as you take the jar out of the cooker before things cool to far.
Why do you need to sterilize it?

The cotton is loose and even if the package arrives sterile it is
opened and hangs around for a while. So I can see running it
thru.
SuE

Old 17-04-2005, 10:31 AM
dusty

"wendy7" wrote in

http://www.troymeyers.com/index.html

Very interesting Wendy this sight won't let me go beyond the english
language selection page.I'll have to try the other languages and use
googles translator and hope the syntex is understandable.
Old 17-04-2005, 10:38 AM
dusty

"Math1" wrote in news:w0e8e.8941$Fm5.4255@trndny09:

http://www.speciesorchids.com/supplies.html

Yes and if you notice the prices are in Aust$ they are in Queensland,
Australia and with the nuts now occupying wahington dc i might find Gestapo
homeland security at my door for ordering it. I mean who knows what is
banned in the usa any more.
I'll keep it bookmared till i find out more on why it's not available in
the usa.
thanks for trying.
Old 17-04-2005, 10:44 AM
dusty

dusty wrote in
:

"wendy7" wrote in

http://www.troymeyers.com/index.html

Very interesting Wendy this sight won't let me go beyond the english
language selection page.I'll have to try the other languages and use
googles translator and hope the syntex is understandable.

Weird had to clear my browser to get in
now I'll have to explore it.
Thanks Wendy
Old 17-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Math1

"dusty" wrote in message
| "Math1" wrote in
|
| http://www.speciesorchids.com/supplies.html
|
| Yes and if you notice the prices are in Aust$ they are in
Queensland,
| Australia and with the nuts now occupying wahington dc i might find
Gestapo
| homeland security at my door for ordering it. I mean who knows what
is
| banned in the usa any more.
| I'll keep it bookmared till i find out more on why it's not
available in
| the usa.
| thanks for trying.

Sorry about that. Maybe you can use something here
http://www.fungi.com/tools/liquid.html
or here
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...r=&tab=wf&sa=N

Also, have you checked with upholstery or medical supply places? I
found one reference that said to check out
Custom Hospital Products, Inc. http://www.customhospital.com/
(POB 14606, Portland, OR, 97214, phone: 800-426-2780). It's a blend of
70% non-absorbent, unbleached cotton and 30% polyester fiber. You can
order individual rolls of 14 oz each (Cat. No. 0205-1), a case of 12
rolls (Cat. No. 0205), or in bulk (a single 10# roll; Cat. No. 0205-B)

Good luck
Anne

Old 17-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Ray

Dusty,

If you're looking for the cotton to provide a filter in the breather hole,
get creative and find something else. I've gotten baby food jar flasks with
a single round band-aid over the hole.

"dusty" wrote in message
dusty wrote in
:

Old 17-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Kye

Is there anything wrong with using the packets of cigarette filters that you
can buy???

Kye.

"Ray" wrote in message
Dusty,

If you're looking for the cotton to provide a filter in the breather hole,
get creative and find something else. I've gotten baby food jar flasks
with a single round band-aid over the hole.

"dusty" wrote in message
dusty wrote in
:

Old 17-04-2005, 03:36 PM
jadel

dusty wrote:
Is non-absorbent cotton banned in the US like aluminum powder,

cigarette
lighters, box cutters, assorted effective insecticides, and

alternative
fueled cars? (A G.W. Bush ban) Or Mr. Oil to his friends. (Ethanol

Fuel
$1.65 gal or less)

Are you talking about polyester floss? It is available at any fabric
or craft store. It is used to stuff plush toys, cushions, etc. It
certainly isn't sterile.

BTW, powdered aluminum requires special (i.e expensive) hazmat
shipping. It is a serious fire and explosion hazard; all powdered
metals are.

Alternative fueled cars aren't banned either. Where you get your
information?

J. Del Col

Old 17-04-2005, 04:49 PM
K Barrett

"jadel" wrote in message
oups.com...

dusty wrote:
Is non-absorbent cotton banned in the US like aluminum powder,

cigarette
lighters, box cutters, assorted effective insecticides, and

alternative
fueled cars? (A G.W. Bush ban) Or Mr. Oil to his friends. (Ethanol

Fuel
$1.65 gal or less)

Are you talking about polyester floss? It is available at any fabric
or craft store. It is used to stuff plush toys, cushions, etc. It
certainly isn't sterile.

BTW, powdered aluminum requires special (i.e expensive) hazmat
shipping. It is a serious fire and explosion hazard; all powdered
metals are.

Alternative fueled cars aren't banned either. Where you get your
information?

J. Del Col

Polyester floss, may be known as Kapok, used in making pillows and quilts.
Usually comes in a pillow sized bag (IIRC)

K Barrett

Old 17-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Ray

Polyester fiber????

From our buddy Webster, kapok:

"a mass of silky fibers that clothe the seeds of the ceiba tree and are used
esp. as a filling for mattresses, life preservers, and sleeping bags, and as
insulation"

"K Barrett" wrote in message
"jadel" wrote in message
oups.com...