Old 16-04-2005, 04:45 PM
henry wolf

Default Bud blast

All the exaplantions that I have heard to prevent blasting don't seem to
be logical. " Sudden changes in temperature, moving pots, over-
watering, too little light, too hot, too cold, etc etc". Why is it that
on the same spike of, say a phaly or cymb of maybe ten to fifteen buds
some will blast, and others will develop beautifully. Obviousely all
conditions are exactly the same for all or them. Bud blasting is
certainly the most disappointing happening after we have watched a spike
developing for months. Any sure-fire solutions?

Old 16-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Ray

If the blasting is really a response to insect attack, the "conditions" are
not identical.

Just speculation here, but I suppose that buds in different stages of
development might have differing susceptibilities to blasting.

Likewise, maybe the physical position on the inflorescence might play a
role. Those out on the end are farther from the plant, and if there's a
physiological fluctuation that causes it to falter briefly, I would guess
that they would be affected differently.

I sure don't have a sure-fire solution except to try not to shock the plant
much.

Old 16-04-2005, 10:43 PM
Kenni Judd

Like Ray, I don't have a sure-fire solution -- and wish I did!!!. But I'm
quite sure that the stage of bud development does play a major role.
Unfortunately, I don't have a good "general rule" about how to determine
"that certain stage" when the buds are most vulnerable -- it seems to vary
plant by plant. Position on the stem could also have something to do with
it.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

bud blast - causes? J Fortuna Orchids 6 30-03-2004 07:18 PM
ripening fruit causing bud blast. kenty ;-\) Orchids 2 27-01-2004 01:02 PM
bud blast? J Fortuna Orchids 3 01-12-2003 01:22 PM
bud blast? J Fortuna Orchids 0 30-11-2003 09:41 PM
Bromiliads, Phal bud blast and ethelyne gas Al Orchids 2 24-09-2003 11:02 PM