Old 18-04-2005, 08:16 PM
sandra

Default Root Shrivel Phals.....

Hello Everyone,
Some of my phals have recently showed some signs of root shriveling, a
few are in bloom.
I think I over fertilized because the humidity is around 75 percent in
my growing room
I used half the strenght of the suggested dose and flushed them before
I fertilize, but still, root shrivel.
It's only a few roots luckily, but I want to keep them in good health.
A few are in spike, I was just wondering if it would be okay to cut off
the spikes to direct energy to root and leaf growth.
The plants look healthy, but I don't want to risk them using too much
energy on the buds and flowers.
As well, can anyone recomend some sort of product that will help
initiate root growth, and a more gentile fertilizer?
-Sandra

Old 18-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Rob Halgren

sandra wrote:
Hello Everyone,
Some of my phals have recently showed some signs of root shriveling, a
few are in bloom.
I think I over fertilized because the humidity is around 75 percent in
my growing room
I used half the strenght of the suggested dose and flushed them before
I fertilize, but still, root shrivel.
It's only a few roots luckily, but I want to keep them in good health.
A few are in spike, I was just wondering if it would be okay to cut off
the spikes to direct energy to root and leaf growth.
The plants look healthy, but I don't want to risk them using too much
energy on the buds and flowers.
As well, can anyone recomend some sort of product that will help
initiate root growth, and a more gentile fertilizer?
-Sandra

I'm not sure anything is wrong, actually. You've unpotted the plants,
looked at the roots, and a few of them are looking a little rough? From
your description, I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Roots
senesce just like leaves. The oldest roots will eventually die, just
like the lower leaves turn yellow and fall. The trick, of course, is to
replace the old roots with an equal or greater number of healthy new roots.

You could cut the spikes, but I don't think you need to. If the plant
doesn't look stressed, it will be fine. Perhaps you would want to cut
the spikes all the way back when they are done blooming, rather than
trying for a secondary inflorescence.

Don't know what kind of fertilizer you use. MSU Magic is pretty gentle
and quite good. I think Ray (firstrays.com) sells it in manageable
quantities. There are various tonics sold for enhancing your roots, but
I'm not sure any of them are really worth the money. A lot of people
use a little superthrive. Too much superthrive (the amount recommended
on the label, no doubt) may cause problems.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 18-04-2005, 08:35 PM
Kenni Judd

Although it's not impossible, I rather doubt that your shrivelled roots are
from over-feeding. If it's only a few, then as Rob suggests, it's most
likely just "old age." If it's a lot of them, then you need to re-visit
your watering practices, and maybe take a look at the mix they're in. Some
mixes [particularly sphagnum, which is used extensively on phals] become
water-repellent if they get too dry.

Superthrive is good to stimulate new root growth but must be used with
caution. For a plant that is seriously depleted of roots, a one-time soak
[about 20 minutes] in a 10 drops/gallon of water solution will either do the
trick, repeating or increasing dosage won't help. Dynagrow's K-L-N is
another alternative. Good growing,
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"sandra" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello Everyone,
Some of my phals have recently showed some signs of root shriveling, a
few are in bloom.
I think I over fertilized because the humidity is around 75 percent in
my growing room
I used half the strenght of the suggested dose and flushed them before
I fertilize, but still, root shrivel.
It's only a few roots luckily, but I want to keep them in good health.
A few are in spike, I was just wondering if it would be okay to cut off
the spikes to direct energy to root and leaf growth.
The plants look healthy, but I don't want to risk them using too much
energy on the buds and flowers.
As well, can anyone recomend some sort of product that will help
initiate root growth, and a more gentile fertilizer?
-Sandra

New root from an external root? Mike Orchids 10 01-01-2005 07:34 PM
[IBC] Crasulla - Jade - To root prune or not to root prune Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 0 29-04-2003 01:32 AM
Yellowing leaves on phals rick Orchids 5 23-03-2003 04:08 AM
Sulking phals Ted Byers Orchids 5 21-03-2003 03:56 PM
mini phals rajiv Orchids 18 18-02-2003 03:39 AM