Old 01-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Steve

keith ;-) wrote:
................................................. .........................
...............................fully been bitten buy the BUG.............
.................................................. ........

Does that qualify as a Freudian slip?
Old 01-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Dave Fouchey

On Sun, 01 May 2005 11:31:43 -0400, Steve wrote:

keith ;-) wrote:
................................................ ..........................
...............................fully been bitten buy the BUG.............
.................................................. ........

Does that qualify as a Freudian slip?

I hope he is buy ing Orchids not Bug's however...

Dave
Old 01-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Nancy G.

V_coerulea wrote:
Maybe you could just buy a flask or 2, or a compot. Then you could

watch
them grow bigger and get to repot them larger. The compots don't take

too
much room, so you might deceive yourself that you still have plenty

of room
and buy too many. Of course, as they grow, you can then trade with

others
for some different ones you want. That is if you can bear to part

with any
of the "babies". That, of course, leads down the path of total

absorbtion.
Because now you have to have a greenhouse to house all the new

acquisitions
along with the "babies". That first greenhouse will be much too small

in no
time at all, even though you swore it was huge when you bought it. It

now
owns you: mind, body and soul. The only way to keep up with Rob's

Rules is
to buy a larger greenhouse. Of course, I really can't think of a

better
addiction that gives so much pleasure over such a long period of

time.
Cheaper ones, but not better.
Gary

That is very similar to the way I started my "collection". Members of
the orchid society would have seedlings to sell for $1 to $2 in dixie
cups and divisions for $5 or a little more, or I would buy assortments
of seedling size plants from various venders for $3 to $7 in 2 1/2"
pots. You can put a lot of dixie cups on a 2 X 4' table. Now however,
it has expanded to 3 tables, 6 wire racks that fit between, and about 6
boxes of the plastic shelves, and the floor space... Plants have
grown, been divided, or sent up keikis.

But when a vanda, that I purchased for $5 in 1999 (bare root, 3 leaves)
bloomed for the first time in 2004, I still got more excited than if a
previously bloomed plant reblooms. Go figure.

I prefer plants from seed to meristems. I don't want cookie cutter
blooms. In a new phase of insanity, I have considered ordering a bare
root assortment from a catalog. 22 new plants, ready to pot into 4",
and they won't bloom for 3 more years. But I get excited about not
knowing exactly what I will get in the collection. Yep, more pots and
more tables.

BTW, the catalog had 5 plant assortments of paphs. Grab bag here I
come.

Nancy G

Old 01-05-2005, 10:20 PM
keith ;-\)

U is next to Y so with big hands mistakes do sometimes happen.
--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.
"Dave Fouchey" wrote in message
On Sun, 01 May 2005 11:31:43 -0400, Steve wrote:

keith ;-) wrote:

................................................ ..........................
...............................fully been bitten buy the

BUG.............
.................................................. ........

Old 02-05-2005, 01:04 AM
Dave Fouchey

On Sun, 01 May 2005 21:20:50 GMT, "keith ;-\)"
wrote:

U is next to Y so with big hands mistakes do sometimes happen.

LOL well Keith, you are "talking" to the typo king here...

Dave of the Frequent "Fat Fingering"

Old 02-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Dave Gillingham

Joanna, I'm sure you knew you were totally hooked when your collection
first passed the 10 point, & you were having difficulty passing
nurseries & their websites. Look on the bright side. We've all heard
that old saying:
All the things I like are either illegal, immoral or fattening.
Well, here's one that is thoroughly delightful, yet is none of the
above.
Enjoy!

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:03:43 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

I am an orchid addict, trying to postpone the inevitable: another orchid
purchase. I last bought 3 orchids on April 16th (bringing up my total to
38), since then I have been

-- visiting orchid vendor's websites every day, often more than once a day
(just Web browsing, looking very innocent)

-- thinking about the imbalance in my collection, with 29 out of the 38
orchids being Phals, and only 9 Paphs, surely I must buy 22 more Paphs soon.

-- stopped by the local plant nursery on the way from work, telling myself
that if they happen to have a small Paph, those don't take up almost any
extra space and one more Paph won't be any more trouble to water, etc. The
only thing that stopped me from buying an orchid then and there was the fact
that not only did they not have any paphs right now, but they are now
selling orchids potted together with leafy non-orchids, and those weeds are
likely to take away nutrients from the orchids, right? Anyway they did not
have anything special, so I just bought a new decorative orchid pot, and a
replacement lightbulb.

-- thinking with regret about that one orchid that I admired at one of the
orchid vendor's at the New York show, but which I did not buy, since I had
not looked around yet, and when I circled back, it was gone already.

-- thinking that I wish I could hold out with more orchid purchases till
June, since in June through August fewer of my Phals will be in bloom, and
so I will need to replenish the collection anyway, and I don't have
unlimited amounts of space in the one-and-a-half bedroom apartment that we
live in. And surely having 17 orchids currently in bloom and 5 more in spike
should satisfy me for the time being. But what are the odds that I will stop
myself from another orchid purchase until then?

Does that kind of behavior sound familiar to you? Do you have additional
orchid withdrawal symptoms that I should be watching out for? :-)

Joanna

Dave Gillingham
Old 02-05-2005, 12:57 PM
jadel

Dave Gillingham wrote:
Joanna, I'm sure you knew you were totally hooked when your

collection
first passed the 10 point, & you were having difficulty passing
nurseries & their websites. Look on the bright side. We've all

heard
that old saying:
All the things I like are either illegal, immoral or fattening.
Well, here's one that is thoroughly delightful, yet is none of the
above.

Not necessarily. Some orchidists conduct illegal trade in orchids.
Compulsive orchid buying is a sign of greed or envy, two of the deadly
sins. And judging by the appearance of some orchidsts, excess tonnage
is a definite risk. It's a dangerous habit.

BTW, I had a nice little Masd. hybrid open over the weekend. Its name
escapes me at the moment.

J. Del Col

Old 02-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Rob Halgren

Dave Fouchey wrote:
Joanna, I am failing to see a problem here lass ;-)

Remember as one of the others has in his signature line "There is
always room for one more"

Or two more, as the case may be...

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 03-05-2005, 02:14 AM
Dave Fouchey

On Mon, 02 May 2005 10:02:43 -0400, Rob Halgren
wrote:

Dave Fouchey wrote:
Joanna, I am failing to see a problem here lass ;-)

Remember as one of the others has in his signature line "There is
always room for one more"

Or two more, as the case may be...

Rob

See Rob you know you have penetrated my memory core at least in
signatures!

Dave
Old 03-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Dave Gillingham

On 2 May 2005 04:57:12 -0700, "jadel" wrote:

Dave Gillingham wrote:
Joanna, I'm sure you knew you were totally hooked when your

collection
first passed the 10 point, & you were having difficulty passing
nurseries & their websites. Look on the bright side. We've all

heard
that old saying:
All the things I like are either illegal, immoral or fattening.
Well, here's one that is thoroughly delightful, yet is none of the
above.

Not necessarily. Some orchidists conduct illegal trade in orchids.
Compulsive orchid buying is a sign of greed or envy, two of the deadly
sins. And judging by the appearance of some orchidsts, excess tonnage
is a definite risk. It's a dangerous habit.

BTW, I had a nice little Masd. hybrid open over the weekend. Its name
escapes me at the moment.

J. Del Col

Party pooper ;-)
Perhaps I should have said
Well, here's one that is thoroughly delightful, yet is none of the
above (for nice people like us)

Dave Gillingham

Old 03-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Kenni Judd

Joanna -- didn't you feel him pulling your leg? Kenni

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Gary,
Nah. I don't have the patience for this. I very rarely buy orchids that

are
not blooming size yet, and mostly I buy ones that are in bloom or in

spike.
I am not patient enough to wait years to see the blooms. Though strangely
enough I didn't mind waiting months to see the bloom of my paph

malipoense,
but I think that's because it's a neat plant while in spike as well as

while
in bloom. I like watching leaves grow too, but not quite as much as

watching
the blooms open.
Joanna

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Correction: I have only 6 Paphs, now surely that cannot possibly be
enough?
I still don't have a single one of those huge paphs that look like
bullfrogs
(like Paph Winston Churchill 'Indominable' for example, wouldn't mind
having
that one, and maybe a big green Paph to go with it as well), and then
there
is that neat species paph that looks like a poisonous mushroom (white

with
black spots ... paph bellatum, that's it), oh and I wouldn't mind

having
bigger pure white paph (bigger than my Paph Deception II that is),

Paph
Magic Lantern is also on my list, oh and given how fond I am of my

paph
malipoense, maybe a malipoense hybrid would be neat to have too. I

really
liked all the paph lowii that they had at the orchid show in NY, they

look
like puppies with pink ears to me, but unfortunately David is not

really
as
taken by them as I am, and so maybe I should first buy ones that we

both
like.

Sigh. I need more Paphs.

Joanna, the Incorrigible

Old 04-05-2005, 12:42 AM
J Fortuna

Ah! Well, I fear I am a terribly literal minded person most of the time, and
so leg pulling that may be obvious to every single other person, may be
completely lost on me. :-(
Joanna

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Gary,
Nah. I don't have the patience for this. I very rarely buy orchids that

are
not blooming size yet, and mostly I buy ones that are in bloom or in

spike.
I am not patient enough to wait years to see the blooms. Though

strangely
enough I didn't mind waiting months to see the bloom of my paph

malipoense,
but I think that's because it's a neat plant while in spike as well as

while
in bloom. I like watching leaves grow too, but not quite as much as

watching
the blooms open.
Joanna

.. .

Old 30-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Al

That there is "always room for one more" is a symptom of orchid withdrawal.
You need a fix when you start thinking that.

As for buying a bigger place in the DC area, that's insane in today's
market. However, I hear that with the new highway coming through the desert
outside Las Vegas the land there has gone up a whopping 100%; from $600 an
acre to almost $1200 an acre. So if you need a larger place "just for one
more orchid", there is a land rush in the desert southwest that's got to be
easier on the wallet than the one going on here in Loudoun County Virginia.