Old 10-06-2007, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pelargonium leaf symptoms

Seen on underside of plant with 1 or 2 leaves similarly affected.
Otherwise growing well and looks healthy.

Any ideas what caused this?

http://tinyurl.com/2svgy4
Old 10-06-2007, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 10, 5:31 pm, Frank Booth Snr wrote:
Seen on underside of plant with 1 or 2 leaves similarly affected.
Otherwise growing well and looks healthy.

Any ideas what caused this?

http://tinyurl.com/2svgy4

Ooer Frank!!! I have never seen this before, but I'll bet someone
here has.

Judith

Old 10-06-2007, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Jun 10, 5:31 pm, Frank Booth Snr wrote:

Seen on underside of plant with 1 or 2 leaves similarly affected.
Otherwise growing well and looks healthy.

Any ideas what caused this?

http://tinyurl.com/2svgy4

Ooer Frank!!! I have never seen this before, but I'll bet someone
here has.

Thanks for your response. I posted this 2 days ago, but got no answers,
Old 10-06-2007, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 10, 9:18 pm, Frank Booth Snr wrote:
wrote:
On Jun 10, 5:31 pm, Frank Booth Snr wrote:

Seen on underside of plant with 1 or 2 leaves similarly affected.
Otherwise growing well and looks healthy.

Any ideas what caused this?

http://tinyurl.com/2svgy4

Ooer Frank!!! I have never seen this before, but I'll bet someone
here has.

Thanks for your response. I posted this 2 days ago, but got no answers,

You will, it has only shown on my computer a few minutes ago. Come in
Kay, Sacha, Janet, Bob, Charlie, David, MuddyMike and all others who
are experts.

Judith

Judith

Old 10-06-2007, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Jun, 17:31, Frank Booth Snr wrote:
Seen on underside of plant with 1 or 2 leaves similarly affected.
Otherwise growing well and looks healthy.
Any ideas what caused this?
http://tinyurl.com/2svgy4

Pretty patterns isn't it. It is rust and comes in many shapes and
forms. Look onto the link below which gives you the causes of it and
how to deal with it. I'll get rid of the whole plant (burn it) before
the leaves go yellow. Once the spores have been released you can't
tell which plants have it until it's too late. I once spent 3 days
trying to save hundreds of bellis in a garden centre from rust by
removing the affected leaves. I truly beleived I could - but in the
end I couldn't. Good luck.

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/C863.htm

Old 10-06-2007, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/6/07 21:13, in article
,
" wrote:

On Jun 10, 5:31 pm, Frank Booth Snr wrote:
Seen on underside of plant with 1 or 2 leaves similarly affected.
Otherwise growing well and looks healthy.

Any ideas what caused this?

http://tinyurl.com/2svgy4

Ooer Frank!!! I have never seen this before, but I'll bet someone
here has.

Judith

Ray says he's seen it before - possibly type of rust but in his experience,
cut off the affected leaves and it will, eventually, go away. He doesn't
recall it ever killing a plant but says some seem to be more affected than
others. I can't say he seemed terribly fussed by it but perhaps he's just
blasé! I'd be inclined to take cuttings from the unaffected parts, myself.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-06-2007, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
On 10 Jun, 17:31, Frank Booth Snr wrote:

Seen on underside of plant with 1 or 2 leaves similarly affected.
Otherwise growing well and looks healthy.
Any ideas what caused this?
http://tinyurl.com/2svgy4

Pretty patterns isn't it. It is rust and comes in many shapes and
forms. Look onto the link below which gives you the causes of it and
how to deal with it. I'll get rid of the whole plant (burn it) before
the leaves go yellow. Once the spores have been released you can't
tell which plants have it until it's too late. I once spent 3 days
trying to save hundreds of bellis in a garden centre from rust by
removing the affected leaves. I truly beleived I could - but in the
end I couldn't. Good luck.

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/C863.htm

Umm! From your link it looks like rust. Maybe it is. But the rust I've
seen on other plants eg hollyhocks,roses normally produces orange spores
(powder) on the leaves' undersides, and the plant weakens, whereas both
my cutting and the parent that have this lesion are both growing
strongly, and the parent is flowering superbly at present. Anyway I'll
spray with a systemic fungicide and see if both plants stay healthy,
otherwise.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Well, it's not Pelargonium rust, which is probably the most serious of
the fungal diseases that can attack them. Rust exhibits as pale
markings on the surface of the leaves and light brown or orange
pustules on the leaf undersides. It quickly spreads to all leaves and
causes yellowing followed by defoliation, which severely weakens the
plant. It used to be a major worry for commercial growers and I've
known nurseries destroy their entire stock when it has appeared. Some
varieties are far more prone to rust than others and it seems to be
far more damaging to regals.

The partial rings on the leaf undersides in the pic suggest one of the
leaf spot fungi, which are far less harmful and usually encouraged by
condensation remaining on the leaf undersides for too long. It can
happen when plants are overcrowded and/or when there's a combination
of warm days with cool nights and watering is carried out late in the
day. Invariably the infection disappears with the removal of the
affected leaves and I've never known it to be a serious problem.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Poole wrote:

[...]

http://tinyurl.com/33t8qd

Thanks for your opinion but above link confirms that this is Pelargonium
rust or at least the start of visible signs of the it. I would have
expected orange pustules as in other rusts, but maybe they develop later on.
Old 14-06-2007, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

On Jun 11, 7:29 pm, Frank Booth Snr wrote:

Thanks for your opinion but above link confirms that this is Pelargonium
rust or at least the start of visible signs of the it. I would have
expected orange pustules as in other rusts, but maybe they develop later on.

It would appear from that link that is is one of the rusts, although
I've never known those symptoms to develop into the devastating
disease that cause so many problems in the 70's & 80's. At the time I
used to grow several thousand seed and cuttings raised regal, zonal
and ivy-leaved Pels every year. Occasionally such markings would
arise on the oldest leaves of a few plants, but it was easily
eradicated by picking them off and rarely recurred. It always happened
when we had warm days followed by rather cool nights. We did have a
major rust problem during one year, but the symptoms were as I
described earlier. The disease spread exceptionally rapidly through
one greenhouse and all plants had to be destroyed.

Old 16-06-2007, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/6/07 07:56, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

[...]

What you describe David backs up what Ray said. This is NOT the devastating
rust that is feared, it's a much milder form of a rust of some sort and does
not destroy the plants.
However, if, Frank Booth is happier burning all his pelargoniums, perhaps it
will set his mind at rest.