Old 30-04-2005, 03:03 PM
J Fortuna

Default orchid withdrawal symptoms

I am an orchid addict, trying to postpone the inevitable: another orchid
purchase. I last bought 3 orchids on April 16th (bringing up my total to
38), since then I have been

-- visiting orchid vendor's websites every day, often more than once a day
(just Web browsing, looking very innocent)

-- thinking about the imbalance in my collection, with 29 out of the 38
orchids being Phals, and only 9 Paphs, surely I must buy 22 more Paphs soon.

-- stopped by the local plant nursery on the way from work, telling myself
that if they happen to have a small Paph, those don't take up almost any
extra space and one more Paph won't be any more trouble to water, etc. The
only thing that stopped me from buying an orchid then and there was the fact
that not only did they not have any paphs right now, but they are now
selling orchids potted together with leafy non-orchids, and those weeds are
likely to take away nutrients from the orchids, right? Anyway they did not
have anything special, so I just bought a new decorative orchid pot, and a
replacement lightbulb.

-- thinking with regret about that one orchid that I admired at one of the
orchid vendor's at the New York show, but which I did not buy, since I had
not looked around yet, and when I circled back, it was gone already.

-- thinking that I wish I could hold out with more orchid purchases till
June, since in June through August fewer of my Phals will be in bloom, and
so I will need to replenish the collection anyway, and I don't have
unlimited amounts of space in the one-and-a-half bedroom apartment that we
live in. And surely having 17 orchids currently in bloom and 5 more in spike
should satisfy me for the time being. But what are the odds that I will stop
myself from another orchid purchase until then?

Does that kind of behavior sound familiar to you? Do you have additional
orchid withdrawal symptoms that I should be watching out for? :-)

Joanna

Old 30-04-2005, 03:43 PM
J Fortuna

Correction: I have only 6 Paphs, now surely that cannot possibly be enough?
I still don't have a single one of those huge paphs that look like bullfrogs
(like Paph Winston Churchill 'Indominable' for example, wouldn't mind having
that one, and maybe a big green Paph to go with it as well), and then there
is that neat species paph that looks like a poisonous mushroom (white with
black spots ... paph bellatum, that's it), oh and I wouldn't mind having a
bigger pure white paph (bigger than my Paph Deception II that is), Paph
Magic Lantern is also on my list, oh and given how fond I am of my paph
malipoense, maybe a malipoense hybrid would be neat to have too. I really
liked all the paph lowii that they had at the orchid show in NY, they look
like puppies with pink ears to me, but unfortunately David is not really as
taken by them as I am, and so maybe I should first buy ones that we both
like.

Sigh. I need more Paphs.

Joanna, the Incorrigible

Old 30-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Dave Fouchey

Joanna, I am failing to see a problem here lass ;-)

Remember as one of the others has in his signature line "There is
always room for one more"

Dave

Old 30-04-2005, 05:15 PM
J Fortuna

Dave,

Yes, I know Rob's Rules. But surely I can't get only one more? It's more and
more frequent that I buy orchids three at a time, and I am not sure that
there will always be room for three more, especially the big ones: one of
the three that I bought at the New York show in April is in a 5 inch pot,
leaf span of 21 inches, height of spikes about 30 inches. It's one of those
multi-floral Phals with a cloud of small pink blossoms on a myriad of
branches. Now if I keep being attracted to such large plants, and keep
buying 3 orchids at a time, surely some day I will be in big trouble. It is
gorgeous though.

Joanna

Old 30-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Dave Fouchey

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:15:03 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

Dave,

Yes, I know Rob's Rules. But surely I can't get only one more? It's more and
more frequent that I buy orchids three at a time, and I am not sure that
there will always be room for three more, especially the big ones: one of
the three that I bought at the New York show in April is in a 5 inch pot,
leaf span of 21 inches, height of spikes about 30 inches. It's one of those
multi-floral Phals with a cloud of small pink blossoms on a myriad of
branches. Now if I keep being attracted to such large plants, and keep
buying 3 orchids at a time, surely some day I will be in big trouble. It is
gorgeous though.

Joanna

Joanna, Buy a bigger place? Well it is an option..;-)

Dave

Old 30-04-2005, 06:18 PM
J Fortuna

Dave,
Actually we have been considering the option of buying a larger place. But
it would cost at least 10,000-15,000 orchids-worth to buy a place in
Northern Virginia / Washington DC area where we live, and even for that
price it might not be possible to buy a bigger place. :-(

Old 30-04-2005, 06:23 PM
Dave Fouchey

No kidding Joanna, with the prices up there it is no wonder the
Congressmen are on the take..;-)

My territory takes me to Arlington, VA which is the north end of my
work and I hate the cost of just lunch up in that neck of the woods.
Sheesh...

Dave

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:18:15 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

Dave,
Actually we have been considering the option of buying a larger place. But
it would cost at least 10,000-15,000 orchids-worth to buy a place in
Northern Virginia / Washington DC area where we live, and even for that
price it might not be possible to buy a bigger place. :-(
Joanna

.. .

Old 30-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Steve

J Fortuna wrote:
[...]

Oh Joanna, you don't have a problem. You have your future nicely planned
out. ;-)
I was going to suggest you try a Paph Armeni White for the white paph on
your list. Then I realized it's not bigger than your Paph Deception II.
You might get one anyway because it is a perfect companion to the Magic
Lantern you will soon buy. The 2 plants are just about identical as far
as I can see and the flower shape is the same too. Magic Lantern is
supposed to be easy to bloom but mine hasn't bloomed yet. My Armeni
White, on the other hand, bloomed easily as the first fan of leaves
matured. You need one.

Steve
Old 30-04-2005, 07:45 PM
Susan Erickson

wrote:

[...]

As Dave and Steve said - You need more Paphs. Isn't Al in your
neck of the woods?

DPE0268 Paph. Wossner Vollmond (niveum 'Triad' x armeniacum
'Limon') Good looking White on his web site

DPE0269 Paph. delenatii one of the parents of that Magic Lantern
you like. Very lovely.

DPE0346 Paph. Yospur (delenatii x Conco-bellatulum 'yellow')
this is on the white end - and very pretty in his catalogue

Paph lowii does look like a puppy dog. It also spreads and lays
its spike over the entire collection unless you tie it securely
every few days.

DPE0825 Paph. Irish Lace (primulinum 'Windy Hill' x Sierra Lace
'Whippoorwill' AM/AOS) this green is lovely too.

I am sure you need some paphs - but I tend to agree this is not
the time to buy. Wait to see if any are in bloom when you want
blooms. But mean time do your shopping and make a list of
considerations. Look at size as well as color and style of
bloom.

Have fun.
SuE
Old 30-04-2005, 08:13 PM
J Fortuna

Steve,
Yes, I have been looking at Armani White already in some of the online
catalogues, it does look very promising.

Sue,
I appreciate the thought. Yes, Al is in my area, and yes I have looked at
all the Paphs in his catalogue several times already, as part of my
self-torture. There is no need for me to buy the Paph. Irish Lace though,
it's one of my 6 paphs, bought it from Al's in February as part of the
Valentine's Day orchid shopping spree.
Joanna

Old 30-04-2005, 10:53 PM
V_coerulea

Maybe you could just buy a flask or 2, or a compot. Then you could watch
them grow bigger and get to repot them larger. The compots don't take too
much room, so you might deceive yourself that you still have plenty of room
and buy too many. Of course, as they grow, you can then trade with others
for some different ones you want. That is if you can bear to part with any
of the "babies". That, of course, leads down the path of total absorbtion.
Because now you have to have a greenhouse to house all the new acquisitions
along with the "babies". That first greenhouse will be much too small in no
time at all, even though you swore it was huge when you bought it. It now
owns you: mind, body and soul. The only way to keep up with Rob's Rules is
to buy a larger greenhouse. Of course, I really can't think of a better
addiction that gives so much pleasure over such a long period of time.
Cheaper ones, but not better.
Gary

Old 30-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Diana Kulaga

I understand your problem, Joanna. We have been very, very good lately,
repotting like good little elves, because the goal is to be finished before
Redland, where we will be found on Friday at 9 AM, ravaging the Motes booth
before proceeding to ravage several more.

Mrryyaaaagghh! Redland looms! The bank account is not safe, and neither is
the grow area!

Diana (the girl can't help it......)

Old 01-05-2005, 02:05 AM
Byron

Boy, am I glad I read this. I thought it was just me! A year ago I had
none, today I have 32 plants of various species along with lighted
shelves, a humidifier, a reverse osmosis unit, three types of
fertilizer, pots of various sizes, 8 books on orchids, and on and on.
No more room.... unless I get more shelves and start clearing out the
basement. But I have no time for that what with all the orchid shows on
the weekends!

Old 01-05-2005, 02:49 AM
J Fortuna

Gary,
Nah. I don't have the patience for this. I very rarely buy orchids that are
not blooming size yet, and mostly I buy ones that are in bloom or in spike.
I am not patient enough to wait years to see the blooms. Though strangely
enough I didn't mind waiting months to see the bloom of my paph malipoense,
but I think that's because it's a neat plant while in spike as well as while
in bloom. I like watching leaves grow too, but not quite as much as watching
the blooms open.
Joanna

.. .

Old 01-05-2005, 09:22 AM
keith ;-\)

Joanna,You think you have problems,I have been collecting for about 3
years.I have managed to collect allsorts,you seem very controlled in your
buying so don't think you have fully been bitten buy the BUG!I have about
200 min,I really could do with logging all my plants & keeping track of what
I have.I did at first but lost interest doing it.So I have my greenhouse
conditions set to what I think I can afford,I will see what thrives & what
dies .What thrives I will try and collect that species.
--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.