Old 10-05-2005, 07:15 PM

Default My orchid has lost all of its leaves

Hi,

I hope someone out there can help me with my orchid problem. I have had
a phalaenopsis orchid for about 6 months. It has two stems about 40cm
long. When I got it it had plenty of leaves, but now they have all
dropped off. One by one they went yellow and fell off. At the same time
I have been trying to get rid of some tiny white bugs that are crawling
around in the charcoal chips (less than 1mm long)

Despite all these problems, while it had one leaf left, the orchid
valiantly grew 6 flower buds. One opened but then the last leaf fell
off and now the flowers and buds are shrivelling. Is this then end of
my orchid or is there something I can do to bring it back?

thanks for your advice
Ben

Old 10-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Mick Fournier

Ben,

Give them a big kiss goodbye tonight before you go to sleep.

Mick

Old 10-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Ray

I would guess that it's a goner. The blooming was its last-ditch effort to
reproduce and survive.

Usually, when a phal behaves as yours, it is an indication of severely
damaged root system, likely due to impeded gas exchange, which is most
commonly because of overwatering.

oups.com...

Old 11-05-2005, 10:45 AM

Sounds like you've overwatered it.

Marty
www.OrchidBoard.com

Old 11-05-2005, 06:18 PM
keith ;-\)

It does,if you get another one when you water don't let it sit in the
water.Let it drain ,especially if the plant/pot is also inside a decorative
pot.Let it slightly dry before watering again,if in doubt don't water.

--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.
oups.com...

Old 11-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Ben

Thanks for the opinions. I've got another orchid nearby, so I'll be a bit
more sparing with the watering in future.

cheers
Ben

Old 11-05-2005, 11:11 PM

On Wed, 11 May 2005 20:36:57 +0100 in Ben wrote:
Thanks for the opinions. I've got another orchid nearby, so I'll be a bit
more sparing with the watering in future.

Keep in mind that watering preferences vary quite a bit by genus
and potting medium.

I have several ontolezia and rodrumnia that are very happy with me
turning on an ultrasonic humidifier upwind of them before I go to bed
to a few nobile type dendrobiums that are currently watered whenever it
rains.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 12-05-2005, 12:59 AM
Bob Walsh

Ben,

Also avoid water in the crown of the plant, especially in the evening and
after dark. The new leaves grow from there and if it rots you'll be in the
same fix as you are now.

Bob
rg...

Old 12-05-2005, 03:33 AM
Ray

I am convinced that most orchids can tolerate almost unlimited watering IF
they have sufficient air flow to the root system. If you are a heavy
waterer by nature, go to a coarser medium.

Old 14-05-2005, 03:35 AM

Hey, I salvaged a seedling with no roots by putting it in a paper
towel and checking on it everyday. It dried out real fast and was just
what it needed. Read up on phals. Ben and you'll do better the next
time. Also tell us how you care for your orchid: how much you water,
light, and what it's planted in.....Burr