Old 12-05-2005, 09:25 AM

Default Nepenthes ID

Hi - I have a baby nepenthes growing in the kitchen window - it seems
happy enough, watering with tap water, and, it being the UK and a
kitchen rather than a greenhouse, temperature and humidity are not
particularly high. I water weekly, mist twice daily, and it seems to be
OK in it's pahleonopsys (sp?) mix medium (bark, charcoal, perlite).
Problem is, I'm not sure how to ID the plant. Any pointers? From what
I've read, it's more than likely a lowland type, since it seems to be
less fussy than some neps I'm reading about. Other than that, I'm not
sure how to ID?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Old 12-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Bob Walsh

Mike,

Old 12-05-2005, 06:01 PM

To have a reasonable chance of identifying it, you'll need to wait
until it starts producing mature pitchers. Then, if it is a species or
one of the more common hybrids, you may be able to ID. However, bear
in mind that if (as seems likely) you have a hybrid, any ID will be
tentative. Unlabeled Nepenthes are much like unlabeled orchids; It's
probably better to leave them unlabeled rather than risk applying an
incorrect name.

If/when you do try to ID your Nepenthes, remember that Nepenthes
hybrids are named under the rules of a cultivar system, not a Grex
system like orchids. So, a particular hybrid name will usually apply
only to a particular clone, not all hybrids with the same parentage.

Regards,

Nick

Old 12-05-2005, 10:04 PM
Mike

OK - I'll wait for it to grow a bit and then try to ID. Many thanks for
the advice.
Mike

One Orchid Question and an OT Question About Nepenthes Shell Orchids 34 14-11-2004 11:09 PM
Nepenthes Question Shell Gardening 2 13-11-2004 02:13 AM
know about nepenthes?? Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 3 12-03-2004 12:12 AM
nepenthes ampullaria Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 1 19-11-2003 12:43 AM
How to replant a nepenthes/pticher plant? Jo United Kingdom 5 27-05-2003 06:08 PM