Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-05-2005, 11:48 PM

Default When to repot?

Now that my phal has finished blooming (pre-Christmas to Victoria Day
is a lot longer than I was expecting the blooms to last) I figure it
time to consider repotting.

The phal is in a clay pot with a 4 1/2" diameter across the top. It
now has six leaves and three aerial roots (after having none up until
a few weeks ago). The roots are the reason I have started to think
about repotting. They are long enough to rub up against the edges of
the pot. I don't know where they're going to get room to grow any
longer. Is this a problem or should I just leave them be for the time
being?

I'll leave the questions about how to repot until after I get a
consensus on whether it needs a new home.

I guess I'll also have to figure out if I should leave the plant as is
or cut it back a bit. The last time I cut it down a couple inches, so
I know that's a viable option, but I'd love for it to grow bigger,
more numerous branches (what do you call those anyway?). Maybe I'll
let it go for a while and see what happens.
--Vic

To Repot or Not to Repot Jane Orchids 5 01-09-2008 04:31 PM
To repot or not to repot, that is the question Jane Orchids 21 03-04-2007 05:32 AM
[IBC] *** [IBC] Hemlock repot ? Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 15-03-2003 06:44 PM
[IBC] Hemlock repot ? Robert O'Brien Bonsai 3 15-03-2003 04:08 PM
B. Nodosa: to repot or not? Orchids 8 27-02-2003 07:06 AM