Old 29-05-2005, 12:52 AM
Ben Tuinman

Default Help

I am new to orchids, but getting hooked fast....! Our orchid (phalaenopsis)
is in fine shape with an abundance of blooms. However, when these blooms
wilt, will the plant go into dormancy ? For how long ?
It has been suggested that we cut the plant in half. Is this true, and if
so, how do I
cut ours since it has a side branch ? I have taken two pictures which may be
seen at http://album.freeprohost.com

Thanks !

Old 29-05-2005, 02:59 AM
J Fortuna

Ben,

Don't cut the plant in half! That's definitely not something to do with a
Phal.

Phals do not go dormant after flowering. Just continue to care for the Phal
after it stops flowering just like you did during the flowering, so water
and fertilize it as usual and make sure that it gets enough light. If you
think that it may have outgrown it's pot or if the medium that it is potted
in has decomposed with age, right after flowering would be a good time to
repot into fresh medium and either the same pot or a slightly bigger one. If
the plant's leaves and roots seem healthy, then I would recommend that you
do not cut the flower spike at all unless/until it grows dry (is no longer
green). If however the plant appears to not be in great health, then cut the
flower spike down as close to the bottom as possible without cutting the
rest of the plant. If you cut the spike all the way down, most likely you
won't get the plant to grow a new spike until about a year later. If you
leave the flower spike alone and it continues to stay fresh and green it may
reflower for you again from the same spike sooner, but this should be
allowed only if the plant is healthy, since Phals have been known to bloom
themselves to death if one is not careful. But a healthy Phal can easily
continue to bloom on the same spike after a brief break if it so chooses.
Some people also cut the flower spike beneath where the lowest flower that
wilted used to be -- this may induce the Phal to reflower sooner, but this
should only be attempted if the plant is healthy. If you have any doubts
about whether or not the Phal is healthy or about any other part of this
advice, please ask, and I or someone else here will be glad to tell you
more.

Hope this helps.
Joanna

news

Old 29-05-2005, 03:13 AM
Xi Wang

First, don't cut anything!!! You have a typical white phalaenopsis, and
when the flowers are done, just leave the plant and it will grow new
roots and leaves. There is no dormancy period as far as I know for
phals in the true sense of the word.

Another thing you have to know about phals is that leaves grow from the
crown, and they are monopodial. If you cut it in half down the centre,
unless you get side shoots, you've just KILLED your plant because you
cut through the crown. Cutting the plant in half is not good.....as
phals don't propagate that way. If it's big enough, SOMETIMES you can
divide it in half (top and bottom) and the bottom may give plantlets
from the side since it has a root system, and the top that still has the
crown but no roots will grow new leaves, and the sides will send out
roots. But judgeing by the pic, you probably shouldn't do that. Even
with a very very healthy plant, doing that is not a smart idea. It will
set the plant back a bit even IF it works, and there are much easier
ways to get keiki (offshoots).

Who suggested this cutting gig??? There are culture hints for phals on
the net, I suggested reading a few of those instead. Also, the side
branch you speak of is not of your plant, but of the flower spike, and
cutting that will not give you new plantlets. Occasionally, keikis will
form from flower spikes, but you have to leave them attached to the
plant for that to happen.

Cheers,
Xi
Old 29-05-2005, 03:23 AM

Now aren't you glad you asked for help? Don't cut! Don't cut! We
were panicking could you tell? Orchid lovers here and THAT scared us.
Another type of orchid (cattlea?) grows sideways and I think that might
of been what somebody was thinking when they said cut (divide). East
window for sun-not too hot and dump the overflow tray.....good
luck....Burr

Old 29-05-2005, 03:35 AM

Hi again-I just checked out the pics and I can see why you like it
so much-perfect shape. The 'spike' shot up and branched out. Usually
you'll see one spike come up and bloom in an arch. Some species make
branches. After it's bloomed I usually leave the spike til it dries
out. If it doesn't it may send off yep-another branch. I have an
Phal. in bloom now with twelve buds all together and six of them
blooming. Pink with a darker pink center. You might need to move it
where it can get sun from like an east window later on......Burr

Old 29-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Ben Tuinman

Thanks Joanna, Xi and Burr for the terrific advise you all gave me ! I
bought this phals in our local supermarket flower department, and it was the
lady who sold me the plant who told me to cut it in half after the flowers
have wilted...... Go figure ! Anyway, that is the way things often are in
retailing these days, poor advise, and poor knowledge of the products
offered for sale. Meanwhile our family enjoy the blooms of this plant very
much, and I assure all of you : I won't cut it in half.....! Also, I sure am
glad I asked for advice ! Ben.

Old 29-05-2005, 08:58 PM
Kenni Judd

Terminology issue: This is one we deal with all the time -- newbies tell me
their plant "died" or "went dormant" because the flowers fell off ... Thanks
to all of you for explaining, this time! Kenni

HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
YOU HELP ME AND I HELP YOU !!! illmatic Ponds (alternative) 0 26-03-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM