Old 06-06-2005, 07:27 AM
Sinister

Default Paint Fumes and Orchids...

I have recently painted my room and the fumes are just barely lingering. I
have a total of five orchids that call that particular room home and it
occurred to me as I moved them to a seperate room that a relative of mine
recently painted their entire house without moving an orchid. None of their
orchids died per se, but then again they weren't in bloom either so I don't
know what the damage would be to the blooms. Probably blast them.

But I was wondering does anyone here know the effects of paint fumes on
orchids? Just out of curiosity.

-Sin (asking dumb questions again...)

Old 06-06-2005, 11:29 AM
Ray

Assuming you're talking about indoor acrylic latex paints, the primary VOC
coming off is ammonia, which could actually be used by the plant (note that
I said could, not would or should). Granted, there are other things coming
off - water is most of the volume, and there may be lots of other stuff as
well, which can very by color - but it's not likely an issue.

. ..

Old 06-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Sinister

Well...very cool! I had always assumed that paint fumes were deadly, if not
detrimental to an orchid's health.
Which, BTW, it was just your standard acrylic latex interior paint.

Much Thanks!

-Sin

"Ray" wrote in message
Assuming you're talking about indoor acrylic latex paints, the primary VOC
coming off is ammonia, which could actually be used by the plant (note
that I said could, not would or should). Granted, there are other things
coming off - water is most of the volume, and there may be lots of other
stuff as well, which can very by color - but it's not likely an issue.

"Sinister" wrote in message
. ..
I have recently painted my room and the fumes are just barely lingering.
I have a total of five orchids that call that particular room home and it
occurred to me as I moved them to a seperate room that a relative of mine
recently painted their entire house without moving an orchid. None of
their orchids died per se, but then again they weren't in bloom either so
I don't know what the damage would be to the blooms. Probably blast them.

But I was wondering does anyone here know the effects of paint fumes on
orchids? Just out of curiosity.

-Sin (asking dumb questions again...)

Orchids and Smelly Fumes... Sinister Orchids 4 07-08-2005 08:48 PM
paint question Coffee Ponds 3 30-04-2003 05:09 AM
Watching paint dry William Tasso United Kingdom 3 13-04-2003 05:33 PM
WE PAINT FLOWERS ITER Australia 0 03-04-2003 12:20 PM
fencing Paint Howie United Kingdom 2 10-02-2003 09:16 AM