Old 08-06-2005, 03:57 PM
danny

Default Way O.T....Multimedia projectors

Our orchid society is probably going to buy a projector in the next month or
so. Our July speaker has a Powerpoint presentation and we've already
figured out that it makes more sense to buy a projector than rent one for a
couple hundred dollars every time we need it. If anyone here has looked at
them lately and can offer advice on good models (or ones to avoid) I'd
appreciate it. We're probably looking to stay around $1000 (plus or minus a
few hundred, definitely well under $2000).

-danny

Old 08-06-2005, 04:22 PM
K Barrett

The only advice I can offer is to get one with the most lumens you can get,
in order to light up a dark room. Otherwise they are all about the same
now. Dell had some decent prices a while back. I think Amazon did too.
But Office Depot had some decent prices too. so look around, you shold
definately be able to get a good on for about $1000- $1500, if not less.
Also, small (light) is better for your back.

We have access to an older one, which cost over $2500 new. Its owner said -
at the time - most projectors had difficulty reproducing yellows, however
I've never noticed that problem in an other projector...so I'm assuming its
been corrected over time.

Volunteer to be the person in charge of storing the projector for the club.
That way you can project DVDs in your home. Home Theatre at someone elses'
expense!!

K Barrett

news

Old 08-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Reka

danny schrieb:
Our orchid society is probably going to buy a projector in the next month or
so. Our July speaker has a Powerpoint presentation and we've already
figured out that it makes more sense to buy a projector than rent one for a
couple hundred dollars every time we need it. If anyone here has looked at
them lately and can offer advice on good models (or ones to avoid) I'd
appreciate it. We're probably looking to stay around $1000 (plus or minus a
few hundred, definitely well under $2000).

-danny

I usually check cnet for reviews and have been quite satisfied with the
quality of the products I have bought on their recommendations. This
does not mean that those they *haven't* tested are not good, however.
Take a look at
http://reviews.cnet.com/Projectors/4...=-7eRating&qt=
For example, they recommend a BenQ at prices from $750-950, which sounds
like a pretty good bang for the buck!

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html
Old 08-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 21:34:14 +0200, Reka
wrote:

danny schrieb:
[...]

If your going after anything from Dell, watch Slickdeals.com. We
have gotten a society laptop and a new one for us with 750
discounts by watching. It may mean deciding on what your willing
to pay and what your willing to wait for. But with some time and
some diligent use of the coupons you can get the prize. Even if
it says it is only for the first 1000 uses... you could be in
that number if you check every morning and night. One of ours
was a 1K usage limit.

I think the time has come - but our society still has one they
can borrow and too many of our members are still computer phobic.
They think the talks will only be slides. - That is what they
tell me.
SuE
Old 08-06-2005, 11:58 PM
danny

Thanks for the tips Reka and Sue, I will check them out.
-danny

Old 09-06-2005, 12:11 AM
Bob Walsh

Danny,

We have an Epson S1 and have been happy with it. We use it to project when
we watch TV or movies.

I have recently seen them under $700 at Sam's Club. I think the model has
been discontinued. Another thing to watch for is bulb life as the bulbs are
spendy.

Bob
news

Old 09-06-2005, 02:10 AM
GARLAND HANSON

Danny,
I've been a PowerPoint road-warrior for 10 years. I've been lugging
multimedia projectors around the world conducting various safety and health
training sessions and seminars for a number of clients. I am currently
using my 4th projector. Each projector has been progressively lighter,
brighter, and cheaper. (My first unit weighed over forty pounds and had to
be hand-checked by security because it wouldn't fit into the xray machine at
most airports. Thank goodness it had wheels! I had to use it in almost
complete darkness!)

A higher priced unit will have a bright light source, latest generation LCD
panel, quality lens with a focus and zoom with good range, a quiet but
effective fan motor, and tons of features all packed into a lightweight,
cigar box size package. I'm considering purchasing my 5th projector with
onboard memory so that I can pre-load my next presentation and leave the
laptop at home!

For society business, look for a basic name brand unit with the features you
really need. A bright projector with a good manual zoom lens and a quiet
fan motor would probably be your priorities.

Don't be fooled by the low prices that some stores will offer. Like most
things, you get what you pay for. But like all electronic products, you can
often find a quality closeout unit at a decent price. (Save your receipt!)
ALSO, STRONGLY CONSIDER AN EXTENDED WARRANTY!!! These things are way
EXPENSIVE to ship and to repair beyond the mfg warranty and the turnaround
time is unbelievable! Trust me on that...

Hope this helps!

Garland Hanson

news

Old 09-06-2005, 06:06 AM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 01:10:05 GMT, "GARLAND HANSON"
wrote:

[...]

At school we shipped some for repair. The company never did ship
them back.
SuE