Old 09-07-2005, 02:25 PM
bob

Default VENDA INORMATION WANTED

Hi to all;

I have fallen in love with the blosooms of the Vanda. I live in S. E.
FL.Any info asppreciated.
Bob

Old 09-07-2005, 02:38 PM
J Fortuna

Here is a link to a Vanda culture sheet
http://www.canadianorchidcongress.ca/culture/vanda.html
to give you a start.
Best,
Joanna

ups.com...

Old 09-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Ray

Go on over to RF Orchids in Homestead, and really become smitten!

In your environment, you can probably grow them outdoors, but I'll let
others with first-hand Florida growing experience give you their details.

Old 09-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Toni

"bob" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi to all;

I have fallen in love with the blosooms of the Vanda. I live in S. E.
FL.Any info asppreciated.

I am in SE Fla as well.

My Vandas are all in hanging slat baskets with large chunks of charcoal as
the only media. I keep them in full sun or areas with very light shifting
shade if they are new to me and not yet acclimated. I water them early every
AM and again at noon if it is a very hot day. I feed once weekly with a
dilute water soluble fertilizer. And that is it!

We are blessed to be in a wonderful climate for Vandas- I don't even bring
mine in during the cooler spells and they are all thriving and blooming
regularly.

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 09-07-2005, 04:08 PM
bob

To all who gave me advice about the Vandas.
I want to thank you all personally but this is the only way I can do
it. THANKS.
Bob

Old 09-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Steve

bob wrote:

Hi to all;

I have fallen in love with the blosooms of the Vanda. I live in S. E.
FL.Any info asppreciated.
Bob

Bob, you are one lucky guy. If you had fallen in love with Vandas while
living in Vermont, you would have a much bigger problem.

Steve
Old 09-07-2005, 10:52 PM
Diana Kulaga

Bob,

Water, water, sun, sun, food, food! We have lots of Vandas. They grow on the
patio under the pool screen and get sun all day. We actually put in a
watering line for them. They are watered for five to ten minutes, depending
on the season, every morning and in dry weather again around 1 PM. During
their high growing season we feed them heavily 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of a
balanced fertilizer) and a bit less in winter, but regularly year round.
Some of the Vanda family will be quite happy outside in full sun. Those are
the teretes, or "pencil leafed" varieties.

Take Ray's advice, and while you are in Homestead don't forget to visit
Motes Orchids. You need to call them in advance.

Diana

Old 09-07-2005, 10:53 PM
Kenni Judd

Our 3 1/2 basics:

1. Bright light, and I do mean bright -- at least a few hours of direct
sun, other than at mid-day [and some, mostly the teretes and semi-teretes,
don't even mind noon-time sun].

2. Lots of water! Every day when it's hot, at least every other day even
when it's cool, and 2x/day won't hurt during the really hot times [assuming
they're grown "bare in the basket" which is most common down here]. Water
until roots turn green.

3. Keep 'em warm. We heat to 55F. Some will tolerate cooler, some gripe
even at that.

3 1/2. Feed frequently. On the watering schedule outlined above, 2x/week
is not too much when you're watering daily. [This one is 3 1/2 rather than
4 because it's far less important, but it will help.]
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 09-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Diana Kulaga

Oh, yes...Check out Kenni's Vandas as well!

Diana