Old 18-07-2005, 12:34 PM
chaz

Default new to orchids - book recommendation?

I have a few orchids and am new to them. Can anyone recommend a beginners
guide to basic care, etc?

chaz

Old 18-07-2005, 04:06 PM
K Barrett

I always recommend Ortho's "All About Growing Orchids" Its cheap (~$12)
available at any bookstore and even in Home Depot annd the info is great.

K Barrett

Old 18-07-2005, 05:35 PM
jadel

chaz wrote:
I have a few orchids and am new to them. Can anyone recommend a beginners
guide to basic care, etc?

Isobyl La Croix's --Orchid Basics-- is a good one. I second the
endorsement of the Ortho book. It was my first orchid book.

J. Del Col

Old 18-07-2005, 09:35 PM
J Fortuna

I recommend Orchid Growing for Wimps by Ellen Zachos. This book has very
useful tables for beginners classifying orchid genera by temperature
requirements, for example.
Joanna

Old 18-07-2005, 11:30 PM
chaz

newsoUCe.6568$Zu1.1123@trnddc04...

"chaz" wrote in message
I have a few orchids and am new to them. Can anyone recommend a beginners
guide to basic care, etc?

chaz

Thank you all for the great recommendations!

Old 19-07-2005, 10:32 PM
Diana Kulaga

I believe there is also a "Dummies" book on orchids now, as well. That
should be fun.........

Diana

Old 19-07-2005, 11:25 PM
salgud

chaz wrote:
I have a few orchids and am new to them. Can anyone recommend a beginners
guide to basic care, etc?

chaz

I have the Ortho book, it's a good one! I just picked up last weekend
the Reader's Digest "Orchids for Every Home", normally $28, at a
discount store for $8! Good info and lots of excellent pics, not just
of orchids themselves, but of repotting, bugs, problems, etc.

Old 20-07-2005, 12:42 AM
profpam

Hi,

Along with some culture sheets, I have a list of suggested reading
material on my website:http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/freestuff.html

Hope this helps.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 20-07-2005, 03:28 AM
nojunk@this_address.com (Mike Pearson

chaz wrote:

I have a few orchids and am new to them. Can anyone recommend a beginners
guide to basic care, etc?

chaz

If you can only buy one book, take a look at "Home Orchid Growing" by
Rebecca Tyson Northen. It's been the home growers basic text for many
years, and is still an outstanding reference. You can find new or used
copies. I think the last update was sometime in the 90s.

Also, look on the AOS web site - they have all of the various the
culture sheets available online now in .pdf format.

http://www.theaos.org

--
Mike KD7PVT
NAR #70953 - Sr/HPR Level-1 ~ BEMRC - NAR Section #627
Old 20-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Aaron Hicks

Although I generally agree with Mike (KA3UPL here, Mike), the R.T.
Northen book is the same through third and fourth editions. The release of
fourth edition in the 1990's didn't include an update, and advocating the
use of pesticides and fungicides (natriphene, anyone?) that haven't been
available for decades will confuse any new grower.

A very good book, and his grandson (who raises orchids here in the
Valley) is looking at issuing an updated edition sometime after he
finishes graduate school. Until then, copies of third or fourth edition
off of "eBay" or Bookfinder.com will do.

The address in the header isn't valid; send no email there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Old 21-07-2005, 01:36 AM
Ray

Aaron. I surprised at you.

"His" grandson? Rebecca Tyson Northen was a "he?"

Old 21-07-2005, 06:06 AM

Aaron Hicks wrote:

Although I generally agree with Mike (KA3UPL here, Mike), the R.T.
Northen book is the same through third and fourth editions. The release of
fourth edition in the 1990's didn't include an update, and advocating the
use of pesticides and fungicides (natriphene, anyone?) that haven't been
available for decades will confuse any new grower.

A very good book, and his grandson (who raises orchids here in the
Valley) is looking at issuing an updated edition sometime after he
finishes graduate school. Until then, copies of third or fourth edition
off of "eBay" or Bookfinder.com will do.

Other than specific recommendations on various substances that are
either no longer in use or have been replaced with better alternatives,
the cultural information and daily practices and procedures are
generally the same.

Other than the freely-available AOS culture sheets for the specific
genera that are being grown, her book remains a treasure trove of hints,
tips, and overall encouragement that a home grower of any level can use.

(Got the new issue of 'Orchids' today - they used one of my photos to
illustrate the article on Odontoglossum!)

Old 21-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Aaron Hicks

Quoteth Ray:

Aaron. I surprised at you.

Oog. I surprised at me, too.

"His" grandson? Rebecca Tyson Northen was a "he?"

Not when I met her at a Houston Orchid Society show in the early
1990's, no.

Too many hours in the lab.

Back to killing plants!

The address in the header is bogus. Send no email there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ