Old 24-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Alistair Macdonald

Default Watering

Advice please. Diamond wedding presents - a couple of orchid plants. Likely
to be Phals. Both plants are potted in small 4 inch pots anchored to the
base of larger ceramic bowls. Both receptacles are filled with (ground)
tree bark. Does one water the larger bowl and hope that there is a hole in
the bottom of the smaller pot. Are both pots to be given water, or only the
smaller one?
Alistair

Old 24-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Kye

I dont suppose that you could take a photo and post it over in
news://alt.binaries.pictures.orchids so that we can better assess what
advice you require could you???

Kye.

Old 24-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 13:37:00 +0000 (UTC), "Alistair Macdonald"
wrote:

Advice please. Diamond wedding presents - a couple of orchid plants. Likely
to be Phals. Both plants are potted in small 4 inch pots anchored to the
base of larger ceramic bowls. Both receptacles are filled with (ground)
tree bark. Does one water the larger bowl and hope that there is a hole in
the bottom of the smaller pot. Are both pots to be given water, or only the
smaller one?
Alistair

I agree with Kye - a photo would be great. But the theory of
most orchid watering patterns is that the water must be allowed
to drain away. You never want to leave the plant with the bottom
of the pot in water. All that said... some people like to 'dunk'
their plants. Fill a container submerge the plant for 5 minutes
or so then completely drain the plant's container. Be forewarned
that the bark will try to float away.

But I have never seen a pot fastened with in a bowl so that it
could not drain.
SuE
Old 25-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Kenni Judd

Water the pots the plants are actually in and watch to see that it drains
out into the larger bowl. If it does, great, just drain the larger bowl
afterward to avoid having the plants sit in a puddle. If it doesn't, then I
don't see how these plants can be watered properly [it may be an arrangement
that's intended to be disposable ...] and would suggest you get them
repotted into something you can water.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 29-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Alistair Macdonald

Thanks Kye, Sue and Kenni. I've learnt a lot about watering orchids from
your messages, but failed miserably to follow your photo advice. Got a good
image of the pots; saved it then set about posting it to the address I got
from Kye. Unfortunately I get "the server could not be found" and "you are
not subscribed to this group" I'm stymied, but I think I have got the
message about watering orchids. Using dry sticks I have established that on
watering the large outside pot, the small inner pot also receives water, so
there must be an inlet at the base of the anchored inner pot. Eureka!
Alistair

Old 29-07-2005, 05:25 PM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:41:56 +0000 (UTC), "Alistair Macdonald"
wrote:

Thanks Kye, Sue and Kenni. I've learnt a lot about watering orchids from
your messages, but failed miserably to follow your photo advice. Got a good
image of the pots; saved it then set about posting it to the address I got
from Kye. Unfortunately I get "the server could not be found" and "you are
not subscribed to this group" I'm stymied, but I think I have got the
message about watering orchids. Using dry sticks I have established that on
watering the large outside pot, the small inner pot also receives water, so
there must be an inlet at the base of the anchored inner pot. Eureka!
Alistair

When you first wanted to read RGO you told your ISP by
subscribing to the newsgroup. You have to do the same for ABPO
it is just a binaries newsgroup as this one is a text group.
Also your ISP may not carry ABPO. You will have to ask them.
SuE
Old 29-07-2005, 06:01 PM
?

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:25:03 -0600 in Susan Erickson wrote:

When you first wanted to read RGO you told your ISP by

^^^
pedant
News reader software
/pedant

subscribing to the newsgroup. You have to do the same for ABPO
it is just a binaries newsgroup as this one is a text group.
Also your ISP may not carry ABPO. You will have to ask them.

And don't be surprised when they say "What's USENET?"

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil

watering solution needed Valkyrie Gardening 11 20-05-2003 03:20 PM
Can anyone recommend a good hose/watering online supplier. [email protected] United Kingdom 1 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
Vacation Watering Half Barrels jammer Gardening 5 23-02-2003 09:03 PM
Watering equitants IiSpankyii Orchids 3 09-02-2003 08:55 PM
[IBC] watering in the cold Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 2 23-01-2003 03:21 PM