Old 17-11-2005, 09:50 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Request for identification

Hello All,
I just signed up to this group because I am confounded by the identiy
of a plant and I hope you can help me.

I live in New Jersey, 6 miles from the coast. I found a tree in a scrub
pine/oak forest (typical of my area) which does not belong. It is a
tree about 25 feet tall that is cherry like, and probably is. The bark
is light colored tannish. The leaves are lancelate with serrated teeth.
The buds are on spurs, as it appears so are the leaves. This is mid
November and there are yellow berries that are turning red. The berries
are about 3/8 inch in diameter. They have a thin pulpy interior, and
one large seed. This is the puzzling part for me, as I would have
named this a chokecherry. But the berries are maturing at the wrong
season. This is probably a cultivar, however I hope that someone could
help in the identification. I thought also perhaps it came about from
someones lunch treats
Thanks
Dom