Old 14-08-2006, 01:30 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Endangered Species...

How hard is it for an individual to legally obtain seeds and/or
cuttings of an endangered species? Specifically I'm thinking of
Echinacea laevigata (Smooth Purple Coneflower). My purpose would be to
try to grow it. It is native to South Carolina (where I live) and
there are native populations on DOE's Savannah River Site a few miles
away. I would think that "enthusiatic amateurs" would be encouraged to
help grow new populations but maybe I missing something. I would
document my efforts. Thanks.

Old 14-08-2006, 07:12 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

There is a great source for native and endangered plants
in Aiken, S.C. It is called Woodlanders and I believe
they finally got their website up and running.

-Philip

Old 14-08-2006, 07:33 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Thanks. Woodlanders is a wonder. I've visited their gardens and their
web site. You can spend hours walking their gardens. However they
have no Smooth Purple Cornflowers. Someone on the web is offering to
sell the "rootstock" of a hybrid - whatever that means.

After further research on the web. I'm pessimistic about being able to
get the "real thing."

It seems that the powers that be are worried about genetic integrity if
they lose control. And yet the Echinacea sp. hybridize amongst
themselves and the three populations of E. laevigata at SRS already
show considerable genetic variation ( see "Ecology and Management of a
Forested Landscape" edited by Kilgo and Blade) So it seems as
regulations are in force to preserve something that doesn't exist.
What am I missing?

Old 14-08-2006, 07:36 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

In message . com,
Raphanus writes
How hard is it for an individual to legally obtain seeds and/or
cuttings of an endangered species? Specifically I'm thinking of
Echinacea laevigata (Smooth Purple Coneflower). My purpose would be to
try to grow it. It is native to South Carolina (where I live) and
there are native populations on DOE's Savannah River Site a few miles
away. I would think that "enthusiatic amateurs" would be encouraged to
help grow new populations but maybe I missing something. I would
document my efforts. Thanks.

It's said to be illegal to collect seeds.

http://www.ncdot.org/doh/operations/...ildflowerbook/
wildflower/13b.html

But there are commerical sources, e.g.

http://www.badbear.com/dkramb/index.pl?seed

Conservation bodies may not be too keen on amateurs reintroducing plants
of unknown or non-local provenance into the wild.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 14-08-2006, 08:15 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

I checked them out yesterday. They're out of stock.

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message . com,
Raphanus writes

Old 19-08-2006, 08:46 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

"Conservation bodies may not be too keen on amateurs reintroducing
plants
of unknown or non-local provenance into the wild."

And I can understand that. However I was thinking more of getting the
seeds/cuttings from a known research/conservation effort, e.g. the SC
(or NC) Botanical Garden. The provenance would then be well
established. The only logistical probelm I see with that is if they
cater to one member of the public - they have to be able to cater to
all and that may be a strain on resources. But maybe a first come,
first serve policy would work.