Old 07-09-2006, 02:00 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Plant disease ID ?

I found two plants in my garden with leaves that have white stuff on
them.
Under the microscope, it seems that the white stuff is actually asome
change of the leaf material...

Also under the scope I find very small, oval things. A lot of them.
They look like small eggs, only almost perfectly oval.
They seem translucent.
I held my digital camera against the ocular of the scope and produced
4 pictures. They are not very good, but they may give an impression.
magnification is 200x or 400x (don't know exactly anymore)

http://www.terwiel.com/diversen/DSCN0637.JPG (the white bubbles)
http://www.terwiel.com/diversen/DSCN0638.JPG
http://www.terwiel.com/diversen/DSCN0639.JPG (vague, in the center 2
bubbles)
http://www.terwiel.com/diversen/DSCN0640.JPG

I thought they may be louse/aphid eggs.

any suggestions ?

Erik
Old 07-09-2006, 02:29 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Erik,
This sounds very much like powdery mildew, a quite common plant disease
caused by an ascomycete fungus. The oval things then are the ascospores
of the fungus. They get air-borne and so manage to reach new hosts.
Best
-- Jan

Old 07-09-2006, 09:35 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

thnx..
on second thought they might be too small to be eggs...
They don't seem to have any inner structure either...
I found some other pics of mildew on the net, and it looks the same.