Old 07-09-2007, 01:26 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default What Flower is this?

Hi People, can someone please tell me the name of this flower? I have
uploaded it on my site www.rent-a-cloud.com under 'Greencards' It's at
the beginning, yellow and named 'Wildflower' Visitors to my site ask
me for identification. I would be grateful for your help. I found this
flower on bushes north of Sydney, Australia. I do not know if it is an
Australian native. (My site is NOT commercial. It is my hobby for
videoclips and greeting cards of nature, free for personal use).
Thanks for your help - Klaus

Old 07-09-2007, 07:42 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

"blacklight" schreef
Hi People, can someone please tell me the name of this flower? I have
uploaded it on my site www.rent-a-cloud.com under 'Greencards' It's at
the beginning, yellow and named 'Wildflower' Visitors to my site ask
me for identification. I would be grateful for your help. I found this
flower on bushes north of Sydney, Australia. I do not know if it is an
Australian native. (My site is NOT commercial. It is my hobby for
videoclips and greeting cards of nature, free for personal use).
Thanks for your help - Klaus

***
Australia has a very large and unique flora, so I cannot help you. It looks
like a papilionoid flower to me (so in the general vicinity of
http://florabase.calm.wa.gov.au/browse/photo/23495 and
http://florabase.calm.wa.gov.au/browse/photo/3713), but there are very many
species in that group, and very many have yellow flowers.
PvR

Old 07-09-2007, 03:11 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

In article , "P. van Rijckevorsel" wrote:
"blacklight" schreef
Hi People, can someone please tell me the name of this flower? I have
uploaded it on my site www.rent-a-cloud.com under 'Greencards' It's at
the beginning, yellow and named 'Wildflower' Visitors to my site ask
me for identification. I would be grateful for your help. I found this
flower on bushes north of Sydney, Australia. I do not know if it is an
Australian native. (My site is NOT commercial. It is my hobby for
videoclips and greeting cards of nature, free for personal use).
Thanks for your help - Klaus

You might try looking at _Pultenaea_ species. Several of them native
to eastern Oz look a bit like your pic.

http://images.google.
com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=DVXA,DVXA:2004-38,
DVXA:en&q=pultenaea&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Hmm... That URL's a bit of a pain. :-) Suggest you just google
"Pultenaea" then select the "images" option and work from there.

***
Australia has a very large and unique flora, so I cannot help you. It looks
like a papilionoid flower to me (so in the general vicinity of
http://florabase.calm.wa.gov.au/browse/photo/23495 and
http://florabase.calm.wa.gov.au/browse/photo/3713), but there are very many
species in that group, and very many have yellow flowers.
PvR

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 07-09-2007, 03:33 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

In message , Phred
writes
In article , "P. van
"blacklight" schreef
Hi People, can someone please tell me the name of this flower? I have
uploaded it on my site www.rent-a-cloud.com under 'Greencards' It's at
the beginning, yellow and named 'Wildflower' Visitors to my site ask
me for identification. I would be grateful for your help. I found this
flower on bushes north of Sydney, Australia. I do not know if it is an
Australian native. (My site is NOT commercial. It is my hobby for
videoclips and greeting cards of nature, free for personal use).
Thanks for your help - Klaus

You might try looking at _Pultenaea_ species. Several of them native
to eastern Oz look a bit like your pic.

Over on uk.rec.gardens, Pultenaea juniperina was suggested. Also Eutaxia
obovata (but supposedly the leaf shape is wrong) and Daviesia
ulicifolia.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 08-09-2007, 04:01 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Phred
writes
In article , "P. van
"blacklight" schreef
Hi People, can someone please tell me the name of this flower? I have
uploaded it on my site www.rent-a-cloud.com under 'Greencards' It's at
the beginning, yellow and named 'Wildflower' Visitors to my site ask
me for identification. I would be grateful for your help. I found this
flower on bushes north of Sydney, Australia. I do not know if it is an
Australian native. (My site is NOT commercial. It is my hobby for
videoclips and greeting cards of nature, free for personal use).
Thanks for your help - Klaus

You might try looking at _Pultenaea_ species. Several of them native
to eastern Oz look a bit like your pic.

Over on uk.rec.gardens, Pultenaea juniperina was suggested. Also Eutaxia
obovata (but supposedly the leaf shape is wrong) and Daviesia
ulicifolia.

Yeah. _Daviesia_ was the other name on the tip of my tongue but I
couldn't get it out last night. 8-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 09-09-2007, 08:41 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

First. I must say I am not an authority, but I do have a book on Sydney
Flora. The nearest that I can get to the image on the Rent-a-cloud site is
Dillwynia floribunda, which is common in the area, grows to 2m and
restricted to wet places in heath and woodland. It seems to be the only one
with a dense head of flowers going some way down the stem. If that is not
the right environment, it might be D. retorta which grows to 1m on dryer
areas in heath and woodland. Also common.

Pultenaea and Daviesia seem to have fewer flowers at the end of the stem.

The legumes in Australia are a very large family and determining them from
images not really practicable. But aren'tthey lovely!

Peter

ups.com...

Old 10-09-2007, 01:48 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

In article , "Peter B" wrote:
First. I must say I am not an authority, but I do have a book on Sydney
Flora. The nearest that I can get to the image on the Rent-a-cloud site is
Dillwynia floribunda, which is common in the area, grows to 2m and
restricted to wet places in heath and woodland. It seems to be the only one
with a dense head of flowers going some way down the stem. If that is not
the right environment, it might be D. retorta which grows to 1m on dryer
areas in heath and woodland. Also common.

Yeah. You could be right there.

Pultenaea and Daviesia seem to have fewer flowers at the end of the stem.

That's the thing that worried me about my ealier "dets". :-)

The legumes in Australia are a very large family and determining them from
images not really practicable. But aren't they lovely!

The main problem with them, and much of the other Oz flora, is that
the flower show is often *very* short. Well, here in the tropics
anyway. I guess with the higher temperatures they're just too
promiscuous and rush to seed. ;-)

oups.com...

Old 12-09-2007, 02:27 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Sep 7, 4:42 pm, "P. van Rijckevorsel" wrote:
"blacklight" schreef

[...]

Many thanks for your help. It has been tentatively identified as Aotus
genistoides - the photos seem to be the closest match.
Very kind of you.
Greetings - Klaus

Old 12-09-2007, 02:32 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Sep 8, 12:11 am, (Phred) wrote:
In article , "P. van Rijckevorsel" wrote:

You might try looking at _Pultenaea_ species. Several of them native
to eastern Oz look a bit like your pic.

http://images.google.
com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=DVXA,DVXA:2004-38,
DVXA:en&q=pultenaea&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Hmm... That URL's a bit of a pain. :-) Suggest you just google
"Pultenaea" then select the "images" option and work from there.

***
Australia has a very large and unique flora, so I cannot help you. It looks
like a papilionoid flower to me (so in the general vicinity of
http://florabase.calm.wa.gov.au/browse/photo/23495and
http://florabase.calm.wa.gov.au/browse/photo/3713), but there are very many
species in that group, and very many have yellow flowers.
PvR

Cheers, Phred.

Many thanks for your reply. I took your lead and found that, photo-
wise, the closest match seemed to be Aotus genistoides.
With much appreciation for your help - Klaus

Old 12-09-2007, 02:34 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Sep 8, 12:33 am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Phred
writes

In article , "P. van
"blacklight" schreef
Hi People, can someone please tell me the name of this flower? I have
uploaded it on my sitewww.rent-a-cloud.comunder 'Greencards' It's at
the beginning, yellow and named 'Wildflower' Visitors to my site ask
me for identification. I would be grateful for your help. I found this
flower on bushes north of Sydney, Australia. I do not know if it is an
Australian native. (My site is NOT commercial. It is my hobby for
videoclips and greeting cards of nature, free for personal use).
Thanks for your help - Klaus

You might try looking at _Pultenaea_ species. Several of them native
to eastern Oz look a bit like your pic.

Over on uk.rec.gardens, Pultenaea juniperina was suggested. Also Eutaxia
obovata (but supposedly the leaf shape is wrong) and Daviesia
ulicifolia.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Thanks for your reply Stewart. I followed a suggested lead and found
that the photos of Aotus genistoides seemed to be the closest match.
With much appreciation for your help - Klaus

Old 12-09-2007, 02:44 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Sep 10, 5:41 am, "Peter B" wrote:
First. I must say I am not an authority, but I do have a book on Sydney
Flora. The nearest that I can get to the image on the Rent-a-cloud site is
Dillwynia floribunda, which is common in the area, grows to 2m and
restricted to wet places in heath and woodland. It seems to be the only one
with a dense head of flowers going some way down the stem. If that is not
the right environment, it might be D. retorta which grows to 1m on dryer
areas in heath and woodland. Also common.

Pultenaea and Daviesia seem to have fewer flowers at the end of the stem.

The legumes in Australia are a very large family and determining them from
images not really practicable. But aren'tthey lovely!

Peter

Thanks Peter for your reply. I followed a lead and found that photos
of Aotus genistoides seemed to come closest.
With much appreciation for your help - Klaus

Old 13-09-2007, 11:29 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Thanks Peter for your reply. I followed a lead and found that photos
of Aotus genistoides seemed to come closest.
With much appreciation for your help - Klaus

Hi Klaus

That could well be correct, but the more common species of this genus is
Aotus ericoides - see http://tinyurl.com/29qv8z for a drawing. From your
image, the flower bracts look more needle like than A. enistoides, but you
have seen the plant and I have not. When in doubt, I go for the more common
species.

This link, http://tinyurl.com/2lmqe9 , says that this is a problem genus
and that A. ericoides, "the most widespread species, is also the most
variable with a number of probable taxa included in this name".

Peas are difficult!

Peter