Old 03-11-2007, 04:40 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.optics

Default growing vegetables under different light

If the vegetables are growing illuminated exclusively by blue light,
will they be different in taste from the vegetables which are growing
illuminated by, say, exclusively green light ? What would be the
taste ?

(I presume that the chlorofylle in the plants needs to be illuminated
by the light of a certain wavelength or above, in order for the
chemical reaction of photosynthesis to take place. This will probably
result in different taste molecules been formed. That's all I know...)

Old 03-11-2007, 06:31 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.optics

"Beladi Nasralla" wrote in message
oups.com...
If the vegetables are growing illuminated exclusively by blue light,
will they be different in taste from the vegetables which are growing
illuminated by, say, exclusively green light ? What would be the
taste ?

(I presume that the chlorofylle in the plants needs to be illuminated
by the light of a certain wavelength or above, in order for the
chemical reaction of photosynthesis to take place. This will probably
result in different taste molecules been formed. That's all I know...)

What would happen to you if you only saw blue light all your life? How would
things be different? Would your poop still smell bad? Just wandering......

Old 03-11-2007, 07:13 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.optics

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 21:40:58 -0700, Beladi Nasralla
wrote:

If the vegetables are growing illuminated exclusively by blue light,
will they be different in taste from the vegetables which are growing
illuminated by, say, exclusively green light ? What would be the
taste ?

(I presume that the chlorofylle in the plants needs to be illuminated
by the light of a certain wavelength or above, in order for the
chemical reaction of photosynthesis to take place. This will probably
result in different taste molecules been formed. That's all I know...)

Most plants require red and blue light for proper growth. Plants
grown exclusively under green light would probably die, which would
affect the taste.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:57 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.optics

"Beladi Nasralla" wrote in message
oups.com...
If the vegetables are growing illuminated exclusively by blue light,
will they be different in taste from the vegetables which are growing
illuminated by, say, exclusively green light ? What would be the
taste ?

(I presume that the chlorofylle in the plants needs to be illuminated
by the light of a certain wavelength or above, in order for the
chemical reaction of photosynthesis to take place. This will probably
result in different taste molecules been formed. That's all I know...)

I actually did an experiment on this back in high school. I tried to grow
green beans using red light and blue light. I didn't get any actual beans.
They need a mix of light to produce.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.optics

Beladi Nasralla wrote:
If the vegetables are growing illuminated exclusively by blue light,
will they be different in taste from the vegetables which are growing
illuminated by, say, exclusively green light ? What would be the
taste ?

(I presume that the chlorofylle in the plants needs to be illuminated
by the light of a certain wavelength or above, in order for the
chemical reaction of photosynthesis to take place. This will probably
result in different taste molecules been formed. That's all I know...)

Not quite what you want but mentions tomato's taste effected by light:
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/coverstory/85/8544cover.html

Frank

Old 04-11-2007, 09:14 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.optics

I actually did an experiment on this back in high school. I tried to grow
green beans using red light and blue light. I didn't get any actual beans.
They need a mix of light to produce.

Baladi might try using tinted bulbs of different wattage to create two
distinct mixed spectra and see what happens growth and taste.