Old 29-12-2007, 10:43 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default how strong is the influence of light to a tree?

Hi,

I'm a student of computer science and I'm writing my diploma thesis about
growthsimulation of trees. The focus is on simulating the growth according
to botanical correctness.
I don't have much knowledge about botany and haven't found the answer to my
problem:

My question is how strong is the influence of light to a tree respectively
to the single branches? If a branch is fully illuminated, does it care where
the sun comes from? Or does it grow in that direction, that the tree "tells"
him to?
The other case: if a branch receives few light from one direction, does it
grow directly to the light to keep itself alive?

I hope you understand the problem, its hard for me to explain in english

thanks in advance!

Kathrin-Jennifer

Old 04-01-2008, 06:21 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

"Kathrin-Jennifer" wrote in
:

Hi,

I'm a student of computer science and I'm writing my diploma thesis
about growthsimulation of trees. The focus is on simulating the
growth according to botanical correctness.
I don't have much knowledge about botany and haven't found the answer
to my problem:

My question is how strong is the influence of light to a tree
respectively to the single branches? If a branch is fully
illuminated, does it care where the sun comes from? Or does it grow
in that direction, that the tree "tells" him to?
The other case: if a branch receives few light from one direction,
does it grow directly to the light to keep itself alive?

I hope you understand the problem, its hard for me to explain in
english

thanks in advance!

Kathrin-Jennifer

Light does regulate growth, but not exactly the way you might expect.
In a stem, if one side gets more light, it will grow less, the shady
part will grow more, which will cause the stem to bend toward the
light. With a leaf, the more light it gets, the bigger it gets (up to a
point). Therefore, where there is more light, there will be more tree.
A tree does not directly know where the light is coming from, it is up
to the individual branch to measure that. In addition to these effects,
there is some amount of the tip of a branch inhibiting growth of buds
below it, and each branch will emerge from another at a certain angle
depending on the species of tree.

Sean