Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
swim learning

Default Plant and one snake identification

Kindly help me identify the 14 plants and one snake from Singapore
whose photographs are at http://www.yahoo.com/shahswim.
Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Jie-san Laushi

whose photographs are at http://www.yahoo.com/shahswim.

Sorry, all I got was Yahoo saying the page was not found.

Jie-san Laushi

Huodau lau, xuedau lau, hai you sanfen xue bulai
to email: eliminate redundancy
Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
swim learning

I made a mistake. The photos are actually at:

http://photos.yahoo.com/shahswim

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

In article ,
swim learning wrote:
I made a mistake. The photos are actually at:

http://photos.yahoo.com/shahswim

(swim learning) wrote in message . com...
Kindly help me identify the 14 plants and one snake from Singapore
whose photographs are at http://www.yahoo.com/shahswim.

Nice pictures. I'd guess that #5 is a Platycerium fern, but I'm no
expert.

As for that beautiful green snake, ask on sci.bio.herp.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
mel turner

In article ,
wrote...

#1 looks like Brassaia [Shefflera] actinophylla [Araliaceae],
which is Australian but has lots of relatives. Was it cultivated
or wild?

#2 may be Morinda
http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/plants/morinda.htm

#3 -- Don't know. A big sedge?

#4 -- don't know.

#5 Staghorn fern, Platycerium sp. [possibly the commonly cultivated P.
bifurcatum.]

#6 Looks like Allamanda cathartica
http://www.apsssnet.com/skl/project/flower/tropicf1.htm

#7 Erythrina sp.

#8 It's a large coarse species of maidenhair fern, genus Adiantum.
Adiantum trapeziforme rings a bell as being one such, but no doubt
there are others.

#9. Mussaenda? the white bracts look distinctive. Compa
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...hrophylla.html

#10. It's a palm, Johannesteijsmannia sp.

#11. Plumeria rubra [Frangipani]

#12 Myrtaceae of some sort?

#13 Mussaenda sp. [Rubiaceae]
http://www.biologie.uni-hamburg.de/b...2/musaenda.htm
[Similar to #9, but pink?]

#14 Bignoniaceae

#15 It's an Asian vine snake [genus Ahaetulla]. e.g., see
http://zoltantakacs.com/zt/pw/sn/s06.shtml
Rear-fanged, arboreal lizard eaters, [but harmless to people], very
similar in appearance and way of life to the tropical American vine
snakes of the genus Oxybelis [a neat case of convergent evolution in
distantly-related snakes]

Hope that helps.

cheers

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

wrote...
I made a mistake. The photos are actually at:

http://photos.yahoo.com/shahswim

mel turner schreef
#4 -- don't know.

For all I can see here it might be coffee?

#7 Erythrina sp.

Don't think so, it looks like the other one, with a name like lobster's claw
or something like it

PvR

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Jie-san Laushi

#5 IS a Platycerium fern -- which species, I cannot say.

Jie-san Laushi

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
swim learning

(mel turner) wrote in message ...
In article ,
wrote...

#11. Plumeria rubra [Frangipani]

Thanks a lot for the valuable comments. I thought Frangipani had white
flowers. The plant in photo 11 has pink-ish flowers. Moreover, the
leaves are not as thick and leathery as the white Frangipani tree.
Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
swim learning

(mel turner) wrote in message ...
In article ,
wrote...

#1 looks like Brassaia [Shefflera] actinophylla [Araliaceae],
which is Australian but has lots of relatives. Was it cultivated
or wild?

I found the tree on the road side. My understanding is that a lot of
the trees in Singapore are deliberately cultivated to make a
"beautiful Singapore". Moreover, there are many imported species,
though, the overall effect is a visual feast.
Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
mel turner

In article , wrote...

wrote...

#4 -- don't know.

For all I can see here it might be coffee?

Okay, sure. That's as likely an ID as any, but few
details are visible in the photo.

#7 Erythrina sp.

Don't think so,

Well, you may be right, of course. Certainly _some_ common
Erythrina species do look quite different from this one,
but the photo reminded me especially of Erythrina crista-galli:

http://www.californiagardens.com/Pla...ista_galli.htm
http://www.plantsofperfection.com/Pl...sta-galli.html
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu:16080/c...eae/Erythrina/
http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/imaxxfab.htm

it looks like the other one, with a name like lobster's claw
or something like it

Clianthus? I think those are shrubby climbers

http://www.oystercoveseeds.com/pages/clianth_puni.htm
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu:16080/i...eae/Clianthus/
http://www.botanyworld.com/clianthus.html
http://www.thompsonandmorgan.com/see...ct_4110_1.html

with very different foliage from that shown in the photo
[which instead strongly resembles Erythrina's]

regards

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
mel turner

In article ,
wrote...

(mel turner) wrote in message

In article ,
wrote...

#1 looks like Brassaia [Shefflera] actinophylla [Araliaceae],

This ID looks confirmed. Compa
http://mgonline.com/scheffleraf04.jpg

which is Australian but has lots of relatives. Was it cultivated
or wild?

I found the tree on the road side. My understanding is that a lot of
the trees in Singapore are deliberately cultivated to make a
"beautiful Singapore". Moreover, there are many imported species,
though, the overall effect is a visual feast.

Sure.
Anyway, Shefflera [or Brassaia] actinophylla is a very popular
houseplant that can become an invasive exotic tree in [sub]tropical
areas such as south Florida.

http://mgonline.com/schefflera.html

cheers

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

wrote...

#4 -- don't know.

===
For all I can see here it might be coffee?

===
Okay, sure. That's as likely an ID as any, but few

details are visible in the photo.
+ + +
Yes it is just an educated guess. Could be something else entirely. Still,
coffee is betting with the odds?
+ + +
===
#7 Erythrina sp.

===
Don't think so,

===
Well, you may be right, of course. Certainly _some_ common
Erythrina species do look quite different from this one,
but the photo reminded me especially of Erythrina crista-galli:

http://www.californiagardens.com/Pla...ista_galli.htm
http://www.plantsofperfection.com/Pl..._crista-galli.
html
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu:16080/c...ophyta/Magnoli
opsida/Rosidae/Fabaceae/Erythrina/
http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/imaxxfab.htm

it looks like the other one, with a name like lobster's claw

or something like it

Clianthus? I think those are shrubby climbers

http://www.oystercoveseeds.com/pages/clianth_puni.htm
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu:16080/i...gnoliopsida/Ro
sidae/Fabaceae/Clianthus/
http://www.botanyworld.com/clianthus.html
http://www.thompsonandmorgan.com/see...ct_4110_1.html

with very different foliage from that shown in the photo

[which instead strongly resembles Erythrina's]

regards

+ + +
You build a pretty good case. Likely you are right. However the picture does
not really allow certainty if the leaf and the flowers belong together, and
could be clearer as to flower shape (or color).

Erythrina crista-galli is certainly the best know species.

On another note: this is an interesting species since most Erythrina species
in South America are bird pollinated (two groups of Erythrina; two groups of
birds). Erythrina crista-galli occurs so far south that tropical birds don't
follow, and is bee pollinated.
PvR

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
c.mcculloch

I suppose you have been to the Botanic Gardens? Even if you can't spot what
you are looking for, it is very likely that some of the staff could - and
would -help you if you take your original photographs.

Colin

om...

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
mel turner

In article ,
wrote...
[snip]

#15 It's an Asian vine snake [genus Ahaetulla]. e.g., see

http://zoltantakacs.com/zt/pw/sn/s06.shtml

Rear-fanged, arboreal lizard eaters, [but harmless to people], very
similar in appearance and way of life to the tropical American vine
snakes of the genus Oxybelis [a neat case of convergent evolution in
distantly-related snakes]

Illustrating this point further, compare your beastie:

http://www.ecologyasia.com/Vertebrat...whip-snake.htm
http://www.szgdocent.org/cc/c-whip.htm

vs.the superficially [and ecologically] similar American forms:

http://www.photovault.com/Link/Anima...VineSnake.html
[clearly it's the green O. fulgidus, not O. aeneus as labeled]
http://www.fathom.com/media/features...snake2_LG.html
http://www.reptile-gardens.com/repti...ry/photo8.html

http://www.arachnophiliac.com/burrow...vine_snake.jpg
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcs2/herp/snake.pics/O_aeneus.jpg [odd that these two