Old 05-06-2003, 09:18 AM

Default Need Help with fern reproduction

Hello,

This is a darkfield image from a prepared microscope slide labelled
"Fern Spicules." The nominal magnification is about 100X.

I am not knowledgeable about fern reproduction other than to recognize
that this may be a gametophyte or some stage along the way.,

What are these and can anone name the species?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/nghy/n...rn_spicule.jpg

Thanks for the help.
Aaron

Old 05-06-2003, 09:18 AM
David Hershey

These look a lot like peltate trichomes or peltate scales often found
on the undersides of leaves or other plant parts:

http://www.si.edu/scmre/learning/lewisclark.htm

Peltate means umbrella-like and has been used to describe some fern
reproductive structures, such as the indusium of Matoniaceae:

http://lsvl.la.asu.edu/plb407/kpigg/...s&conifers.htm

The term spicule is applied to the skeletons of sponges:
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/porifera/porskel.html

David R. Hershey

Old 05-06-2003, 09:18 AM
mel turner

In article ,
wrote...

These look a lot like peltate trichomes or peltate scales often found
on the undersides of leaves or other plant parts:

http://www.si.edu/scmre/learning/lewisclark.htm

They do. It's not immediately clear that these are from a fern, but
they could easily be. Some Polypodiaceae [in the strict sense] have
leaves well covered with similar small peltate scales [such as the
"resurrection fern", _Pleopeltis polypodioides_ (see below)]. But
then, so are Bromeliaceae and various other angiosperms.

Peltate means umbrella-like and has been used to describe some fern
reproductive structures, such as the indusium of Matoniaceae:

http://lsvl.la.asu.edu/plb407/kpigg/...s&conifers.htm

Well, of course indusia are acessory structures and arguably not
"reproductive" structures themselves, but I suppose that's just
splitting trichomes...

Anyway, these clearly aren't indusia.

The term spicule is applied to the skeletons of sponges:
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/porifera/porskel.html

Oddly enough, a very few ferns are characterized by what are called
"spicular cells", a particular type of specialized cells inside the
leaf tissue. It's one piece of anatomical evidence that fits the DNA
evidence linking _Adiantum_ with the vittarioid ferns. Other than
that, there is no such term as 'fern spicules'.

wrote in message
om...
Hello,

This is a darkfield image from a prepared microscope slide labelled
"Fern Spicules." The nominal magnification is about 100X.

I am not knowledgeable about fern reproduction other than to recognize
that this may be a gametophyte or some stage along the way.,

No, they're probably just peltate leaf trichomes or scales.

What are these and can anone name the species?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/nghy/n...rn_spicule.jpg

Where did the fern come from? What does it look like?

Here's the familiar "resurrection fern", which is one species
covered with peltate scales:

http://botany.cs.tamu.edu/FLORA/Fern&Gym/F&G017.jpg
http://fig.cox.miami.edu/~scofield/s...podioides.html
http://www.floridata.com/ref/p/poly_pol.cfm
http://www.albion.edu/plants/polypopg.htm
http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/imaxxplp.htm
http://botany.cs.tamu.edu/FLORA/Fern&Gym/F&G016.jpg

cheers

Old 05-06-2003, 09:32 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

David Hershey schreef
The term spicule is applied to the skeletons of sponges:

+ + +
According to Harris & Harris it is also used for a small spike in plants, an
outgrowth of the epidermis
+ + +

mel turner schreef
Where did the fern come from? What does it look like?

+ + +
Obviously these three pictures are from a directory that showcases pictures
made by Nikon equipment. Apparently it of US origin. Beyond that it will be
anybody's guess
PvR

Old 05-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Ivan Sache

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:

+ + +
According to Harris & Harris it [spicule] is also used for a small spike in plants, an
outgrowth of the epidermis
+ + +

According to the APS Glossary of Plant-Pathological Terms, spicules are
paired, sclerotized structures that are the male copulatory organs of
Nematodes; or fungal needlelike outgrowths. Rust spores are, for
instance, decorated with spicules, which are believed to help spores to
be attached to host plant surface.

Regards.

--
Ivan Sache
Old 05-06-2003, 07:20 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:
According to Harris & Harris it [spicule] is also used for a small spike

in plants, an outgrowth of the epidermis

Ivan Sache schreef
According to the APS Glossary of Plant-Pathological Terms, spicules are
paired, sclerotized structures that are the male copulatory organs of
Nematodes; or fungal needlelike outgrowths. Rust spores are, for
instance, decorated with spicules, which are believed to help spores to
be attached to host plant surface.

+ + +
Not to mention the medical uses
PvR

Old 06-06-2003, 03:32 AM
mel turner

In article ,
wrote...

David Hershey schreef
The term spicule is applied to the skeletons of sponges:

+ + +
According to Harris & Harris it is also used for a small spike in plants, an
outgrowth of the epidermis
+ + +

But not for things like these peltate trichomes or scales, of
course.

mel turner schreef
Where did the fern come from? What does it look like?

+ + +
Obviously these three pictures are from a directory that showcases pictures
made by Nikon equipment.

Thanks. I missed that [failed to look 'upstream' at

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/nghy/nikon990/

and I also failed to note the original poster's statement that
they were photographed from a prepared microscope slide inexplicably
labelled "fern spicules".

Apparently it of US origin. Beyond that it will be
anybody's guess.

True. But P. polypodioides is a common US fern with such scales
[if the original microscope slide was from a US fern]

cheers

Old 07-06-2003, 07:08 AM

Thank you all for your help. Just a few clarifications. First, the
slide was prepared by an amateur slide maker whose primary interest
was making slides interesting to observe. Secon, I had no intentions

Old 07-06-2003, 07:44 AM

Thank you all for your help in identifying the fern parts.

Just a few clarifications. First, the slide was prepared by an
amateur slide maker from the U.K. whose primary interest was making
slides and not maintaining scientific accuracy.

Secondly, my choice of subdirectory names for my filing system was
never intended to showcase or promote any particular camera. It is
just plain wrong to suggest motives which never existed for my choice
of the name.. It was just an easy way to ikeep track of which piece
of equipment I happened to use for those images. I have use other
cameras and have other subdirectories to contain those images..

I do not mind that others are viewing these images. Please enjoy them
but remember they are not available for other uses..

Aaron

Old 07-06-2003, 03:20 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Just go to show how much power there is in a name,
and that great care is needed in choosing and handling names!
PvR

schreef in berichtnieuws
Thank you all for your help in identifying the fern parts.

Just a few clarifications. First, the slide was prepared by an
amateur slide maker from the U.K. whose primary interest was making
slides and not maintaining scientific accuracy.

Secondly, my choice of subdirectory names for my filing system was
never intended to showcase or promote any particular camera. It is
just plain wrong to suggest motives which never existed for my choice
of the name.. It was just an easy way to ikeep track of which piece
of equipment I happened to use for those images. I have use other
cameras and have other subdirectories to contain those images..

I do not mind that others are viewing these images. Please enjoy them
but remember they are not available for other uses..

Aaron

Old 07-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Hahn

In my opinion, the picture shows leaf hairs e.g. of Hippophae rhamnoides.

The hairs are multicelled and concentrically built up. They form a
transpiration reducing layer on the original epidermis.

Karlheinz.

Old 09-06-2003, 04:08 AM

Thank you for your help. You have had a most productive suggestion to
put me on the track.

Aaron

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 19:42:37 +0200, "Hahn" wrote:

Hippophae rhamnoides

repost; URGENTt!!Fern People!!! can someone save my fern?? meee Australia 3 15-10-2005 09:36 AM
Java Fern reproduction Bill Stock Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 31-07-2005 04:21 AM
Need Help with fern reproduction [email protected] Plant Science 3 05-06-2003 06:44 AM
plant reproduction cra2 Plant Biology 3 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
Reproduction Iris Cohen Plant Science 2 16-02-2003 11:45 PM