Old 30-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Bill Stock

Default Java Fern reproduction

How does Java Fern seed itself? I've got a Java Rock in the Betta tank and
I've started to notice some Algae growing. One spot of Algae has long
threads growing from it, bit it's too thick for Hair Algae. It looks like
Java Moss growing out of the Algae spot?

Old 31-07-2005, 03:33 AM
Elaine T

Bill Stock wrote:
How does Java Fern seed itself? I've got a Java Rock in the Betta tank and
I've started to notice some Algae growing. One spot of Algae has long
threads growing from it, bit it's too thick for Hair Algae. It looks like
Java Moss growing out of the Algae spot?

Java fern forms plantlets on the leaf margins of adult plants. You're
likely seeing something like staghorn algae.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 31-07-2005, 04:21 AM
Bill Stock

"Elaine T" wrote in message
m...
Bill Stock wrote:
How does Java Fern seed itself? I've got a Java Rock in the Betta tank
and I've started to notice some Algae growing. One spot of Algae has long
threads growing from it, bit it's too thick for Hair Algae. It looks like
Java Moss growing out of the Algae spot?

Java fern forms plantlets on the leaf margins of adult plants. You're
likely seeing something like staghorn algae.

Thanks Elaine, I actually meant Java Moss, not Java Fern. But I Googled up
an image of Staghorn Algae and that appears to be the correct diagnosis.