Old 30-08-2003, 06:15 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default any benefit for a fruit orchard to have a marmot (groundhog)

My place seems rife for marmots. Whether it is the pond in the corner,
or whether it is the nearby cornfields, or whether it is lack of dogs or
whether
it is the outbuildings.

Can someone tell me if marmots have any beneficial affect on a fruit
orchard or are they utter pests.

I wonder if badgers kill marmots, and whether I should be looking for
some badgers and introduce them into my area to clear out the marmots.

Anyone have any experience with these animals.

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Old 30-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Phil Hays

Archimedes Plutonium wrote:

My place seems rife for marmots.

I'd suggest:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/martin/newsl...s/wgrwoch2.htm

--
Phil Hays
Old 01-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Sturla Molden

Archimedes Plutonium wrote:

My place seems rife for marmots. Whether it is the pond in the corner,
or whether it is the nearby cornfields, or whether it is lack of dogs or
whether
it is the outbuildings.

Can someone tell me if marmots have any beneficial affect on a fruit
orchard or are they utter pests.

Ah, marmots. That reminds me of the following conversation
in Monkey Island II:

- How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
- A woodchuck could chuck no amount of wood since a woodchuck couldn't
chuck wood.
- But if a woodchuck could chuck and would chuck some amount of wood,
what amount of wood would a woodchuck chuck?
- Even if a woodchuck could chuck wood, and even if a woodchuck would
chuck wood, should a woodchuck chuck wood?
- A woodchuck should chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood, as long as a
woodchuck would chuck wood.
- Shut up!

Sorry Pluto, badgers don't eat marmots. You don't want badgers
in your garden. They are a pest too. They dig up your lawn searching
for worms. Cats, dogs or ferrets are much safer bets if marmots
are bothering you.

S.M.

Old 01-09-2003, 02:22 AM
Iris Cohen

what amount of wood would a woodchuck chuck?

Some years ago there was a detailed article in the newspaper, where someone
actually figured out mathematically how much wood a woodchuck would chuck.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 01-09-2003, 02:42 AM
Gregory L. Hansen

In article ,
Archimedes Plutonium NOdtgEMAIL wrote:
My place seems rife for marmots. Whether it is the pond in the corner,
or whether it is the nearby cornfields, or whether it is lack of dogs or
whether
it is the outbuildings.

Can someone tell me if marmots have any beneficial affect on a fruit
orchard or are they utter pests.

I wonder if badgers kill marmots, and whether I should be looking for
some badgers and introduce them into my area to clear out the marmots.

Anyone have any experience with these animals.

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pubs/press/foxes.html

Some golf courses also encourage foxes to live on the grounds, because
they go after geese.
--
"A nice adaptation of conditions will make almost any hypothesis agree
with the phenomena. This will please the imagination but does not advance