Old 26-09-2003, 04:33 PM
Misipro

Default Kumara Lantana.

Kumara Lantana is a beautiful hedgerow plant which is common in Australasia.
I live in the UK and have been searching for a source of seeds for this
plant in order to establish it in my garden. It's phenomenally attractive to
butterflies and has the appearance of a sort of umbellifer but with
honeysuckle-like flowers on the heads.
I would be grateful for clue as to how to obtain seed for this. Seedsmen in
Australia say it's outside of the "gardening" remit because of it's hedgerow
origins. In other words they don't carry seed for it.
It's a cracking plant though and I want some.

Can anyone advise, please?
Thank you

Mpro.

Old 26-09-2003, 07:13 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Misipro
writes
Kumara Lantana is a beautiful hedgerow plant which is common in Australasia.
I live in the UK and have been searching for a source of seeds for this
plant in order to establish it in my garden. It's phenomenally attractive to
butterflies and has the appearance of a sort of umbellifer but with
honeysuckle-like flowers on the heads.
I would be grateful for clue as to how to obtain seed for this. Seedsmen in
Australia say it's outside of the "gardening" remit because of it's hedgerow
origins. In other words they don't carry seed for it.
It's a cracking plant though and I want some.

Can anyone advise, please?
Thank you

Mpro.

If this is the same as Lantana camara, then you can find some references
via Google.

URL:http://www.google.com/search?num=100...-8859-1&as_qdr
=all&q=Lantana+camara+seed?

T&M appear to be among the companies that carry it.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 26-09-2003, 10:07 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Misipro writes
Kumara Lantana is a beautiful hedgerow plant which is common in

Australasia. I live in the UK and have been searching for a source of seeds
for this plant in order to establish it in my garden. It's phenomenally
attractive to butterflies and has the appearance of a sort of umbellifer but
with honeysuckle-like flowers on the heads. I would be grateful for clue as
to how to obtain seed for this. Seedsmen in Australia say it's outside of
the "gardening" remit because of it's hedgerow origins. In other words they
don't carry seed for it. It's a cracking plant though and I want some.

Can anyone advise, please?
Thank you

Mpro.

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef

If this is the same as Lantana camara, then you can find some references
via Google.

URL:http://www.google.com/search?num=100...-8859-1&as_qdr
=all&q=Lantana+camara+seed?

T&M appear to be among the companies that carry it.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

+ + +
There are some 150 species of Lantana.

The reason why seed of Lantana camara is not available in Australia would
appear to be its reputation as the worst alien invader on the continent, and
the Aussie desperation in trying to get rid of it. It may be illegal to sell
such seeds?

PvR

Old 27-09-2003, 12:43 AM
Yarbadosi

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
.. .
Misipro writes
[...]

I don't think it's illegal because I have seen it once growing in an
ornamental in the UK. It isn't Kumara Camara that I want though, it is most
definitely "Kumara Lantana". I imagine it's the same family as the wild
potato-like plant that's known in Polynesia. I can't find any references to
this specific plant on Google. Only to Camara. Specimen at
http://www.chirgles.btinternet.co.uk/kumara.htm
Thank you.

Old 27-09-2003, 03:22 AM
Iris Cohen

Kumara Lantana is a beautiful hedgerow plant which is common in Australasia.
I live in the UK and have been searching for a source of seeds for this plant
in order to establish it in my garden.

I had to think for a minute because you had the name slightly messed up. What
you want is Lantana camara. You should be able to buy them from a houseplant
nursery. In this country they are also sold in the North as annuals. Yes. the
inflorescence is an umbel. They belong to the Verbenaceae.
Iris
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 27-09-2003, 07:34 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Yarbadosi schreef
I don't think it's illegal because I have seen it once growing in an
ornamental in the UK.

+ + +
Newsflash: the fact that it is not illegal in the UK has no bearing on the
question if it is illegal in Australia. The worldwide introduction of US-law
everywhere is still some time off.

Also the fact that a plant grows somewhere does not mean it is legal (cf
Cannabis, which is grown in quite a few spots)
PvR

Old 27-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Phred

In article , "P van Rijckevorsel" wrote:
Misipro writes
Kumara Lantana is a beautiful hedgerow plant which is common in

Australasia. I live in the UK and have been searching for a source of seeds
for this plant in order to establish it in my garden. It's phenomenally
attractive to butterflies and has the appearance of a sort of umbellifer but
with honeysuckle-like flowers on the heads. I would be grateful for clue as
to how to obtain seed for this. Seedsmen in Australia say it's outside of
the "gardening" remit because of it's hedgerow origins. In other words they
don't carry seed for it. It's a cracking plant though and I want some.

[snip]
+ + +
There are some 150 species of Lantana.

The reason why seed of Lantana camara is not available in Australia would
appear to be its reputation as the worst alien invader on the continent, and
the Aussie desperation in trying to get rid of it. It may be illegal to sell
such seeds?

The common ornamental lantana grown in SE Queensland was not
considered to be a problem until recently. It has now been banned
from sale along with all other types. [This new law will not come
into force until 1 Nov 2003.]

It seems that, although the garden variety is allegedly sterile, it's
possible its pollen may be effective in fertilising the more robust
and very nasty forms that are such a menace to pastoralists and to the
the environment generally.

A few refs:

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/horticulture/5488.html

http://www.nrm.qld.gov.au/about/medi...7_lantana.html

Especially:
http://www.nrm.qld.gov.au/about/medi...eed_sales.html

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Massive Kumara (sweet potato) George.com Gardening 4 23-09-2008 01:11 PM
Lantana & Plumbago still dormant? courtault at yahoo.com Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
free lantana... Tom Penick Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
lantana troubles Peter Imes Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:08 AM
Lantana & Plumbago still dormant? courtault at yahoo.com Texas 2 29-03-2003 09:20 PM