Old 22-10-2003, 03:32 PM
BRIAN BAUMGARD, DVM

Default honeysuckle

Hi there...Im trying to learn edible types of berries. I live in
Southern California. Is there any "theme" to which one may ascribe
ediblity of berries based upon color or plant structure, etc?
Specifically... are any or all of honeysuckle berries edible or are they
considered toxic. Thanks

Old 22-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Monique Reed

No, there is no "color y is always safe to eat, while color x is
poisonous" rule that works. You can also not trust what the birds
eat--they can deal with all sorts of things we cannot. The only rules
that will infallibly keep you safe are the ones like "Never eat any
unknown member of the Solanaceae, Apiaceae, Liliaceae, or
Ranunculaceae because so many are toxic." You might miss something
edible, but you will also not be munching water hemlock thinking it's
a wild carrot.

Honeysuckle fruits are not to be eaten. In the U.S., they have
apparently been eaten with impunity, but the same species have been
implicated with poisonings and even fatalities in Europe, so best not
to push your luck. Also, some people can have violent, poisoning-like
reactions to eating even "harmless" parts, like the nectar--as I know
too well myself.

Monique Reed