Old 27-12-2003, 07:48 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Hedgehog Gourd/Osage Orange

Gene Royer schreef
That is neither pretty nor simple, and I appreciate your indulgence.

However, Iris's direct explanation melds with my limited knowledge and
answers my question.

My understanding of botany is limited to my burpless cucumber crop each

year--urged on by the steer manure I use to encourage its success.

+ + +
Indeed there is a general correlation between growth speed versus density
and durability of the wood (also, somewhat less, with color). However this
is not necessarily all that is at play he a tree or shrub also has to
stand up to the stresses it is subjected to. As a general rule branchwood is
denser and meaner than the wood of a trunk. This goes for small diameter
trunks as well.

So for a species like Osage-Orange with a reputation for being suitable for
hedges "horse-high, bull-strong and pig-tight" it stands to reason the wood
is not especially tractable.

PvR

Old 03-01-2004, 12:15 AM
Gene Royer

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
Gene Royer schreef
What are the botanical dynamics of that wood that make it so unspeakably

incorrigible?

+ + +
Surely that is pretty simple.
The wood is selected (Natural Selection) to do the job of keeping up the
branches against animal enchroachments for the longest time. If a tree is
only fast growing all the wood needs to do is lift the leafs to the sun as
high as possible, quicker than the competition, and the wood will be

pretty
straight and stressfree (think balsa). If a tree is out there for the
longest time and has to stand up to whatnot it will have all the scars and
tensions of its unrecorded history.
PvR

Surely the botanical anatomy of a hardwood tree has more credit to its
texture than merely being a slow-grower. My southern magnolias grow very
slowly as opposed to the tallow trees that crowd it out; yet its wood is
hardly worthy of consideration for building anything. In fact, the wood
splits easily with a stringy texture, and the tree itself will burn to the
ground if a fire is lit beneath it.

--Geno